• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oxe7

[/quote]
Lee, Yes I was at NC for the week and watched most games with interest. It was very clear that the NSW Schools Team was struggling with team cohesion due to not enough trial games before the championship, I think they had one. Their halves and kickers really struggled to control the ebb and flow of games and their forward pack although powerful individualy did not work as a unit, a lot of one out running, isolations and turnovers. Their 12,13 and 23 did very well considering the poor quality ball and lack of possession given to them. In their final game against Sydney Club their scrum got pushed off the ball in attacking positions and they lost their lineout throw on three occaisions again in attacking positions, the front row was given no platform whatso ever from their back row which although big was not core strong. Often a won line out for NSW Schools was a ball batted back onto the ground giving the halves little chance of setting up quality moves. I felt sorry for the NSW team given the expectations thrust upon them and the obvious lack of game preparation. Qld on the other hand looked extremely well prepared and both teams(White and Red) played like well oiled club oufits, as did NSW Country. The addition of the Sydney or Country 10 to the NSW Schools team would have solved several major problems. In future at least 3 or 4 trial games will be needed before heading off to the championship in 2009 which is in NSW once again. Congratulations QLD Red and White.
[/quote]

how do you know its in NSW? does that mean the opens will be in NSW too?

F

footyhead

16's definitely in NSW for next 2 years, at Riverview I think, not sure about opens.
Lee, looking at my notes the following players are destined for big futures, the 12 and 13's in eithercode, Qld Red 7 and 13
NSW Schools 8 and 12 NSW Country 10. I did not watch ACT closely enough to call.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I believe the Reds 7 was Liam Gill. Openside from Terrace (playing along side little Matt Lucas). Was player of the tournament.

On the Reds will be offering a scholarship I believe.

O

oxe7

country 10- sam cox

nsw 12 - dane atkinson (scots )

nsw 8- adam brent ( scots 1st xv this yr.)

qld 13- matt garland ( BSHS )

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks guys - don't know any of those lads, which means in the future I can't crow about how I knew they were going to be Wallabies and how I chatted up their mothers at the tournament - all of which is very interesting to other people, I know.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Aust schoolboys vs NZ schoolboys sides for tomorrows game:

The match tomorrow will kick off at noon (NZ time).
SUNCORP AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLBOYS
1 Salesi Manu
2 Chris Edwards
3 Josh Daley
4 Nick Buchanan
5 Luke Jones
6 Eddie Quirk
7 Kotoni Ale
8 Jarrod Butler
9 Eddie Bredanhann
10 James Ambrosini
11 Kenneth Robertson
12 Michael McDougall
13 Cameron Mitchell (c)
14 Dom Shipperley
15 Tyler Stevens

NEW ZEALAND SCHOOLS
1 Willie Afuvai
2 Ben Funnell
3 Jeff Allen
4 Kane Barrett
5 Blade Thomson
6 Luke Whitlock
7 Joseph Tupe
8 Carl Axtens
9 Tawera Kerr-Barlow
10 Kane Adams
11 Glen Robertson
12 Rhys Llewellyn
13 Julian Savea
14 Star Timu
15 Charlie Ngatai

Interesting that Quirk (BSHS) and Ambrosini (ST Laurence) have made it into the starting 15. Wonder what the bench looks like?

Lee - you may recall that Ngatai, the 15 for NZ, picked up their man of the match in last years game, and Savea, the 13, was the big winger who scored the last try for them. Could be a tough day at the office for the young Aussies.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
What is rugby coming to. I'm all for names like Salesi, Kotoni and Tawera but do we really need names like Jarrod, Tyler and two Kanes. Lets give those ones to league.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ash, you're a very visual guy aren't you? Although you have confused David Campese and Michael Lynagh.

Easily done I guess.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Noddy said:
Ash, you're a very visual guy aren't you? Although you have confused David Campese and Michael Lynagh.

Easily done I guess.

Damnit, I have too. It's the damn same gold jersey. My excuse is that I am half a asleep at work this morning. Guess it's because all three managers in the dept today are away. Extra forum browsing time.

B

ben

Hey been browsing these forums for a while thought id finally post.

Just got told that Australia beat NZ 15-11

Really good effort from them seeing as though no one gave them much chance.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
welcome to the board mate. Especially with such great news.

That would be a upset right?

Excellent, particularly as it was tight.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah, welcome aboard 12p.

That might just be the first ever win in NZ, and that makes it two years in a row now. Outstanding!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Suncorp Australian Schoolboys have notched up an historic 15-11 victory over New Zealand Schools in New Plymouth today - the first time the Australian Schoolboys have ever won a Test in New Zealand.

Full report to follow shortly.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Noddy said:
The Suncorp Australian Schoolboys have notched up an historic 15-11 victory over New Zealand Schools in New Plymouth today - the first time the Australian Schoolboys have ever won a Test in New Zealand.

Ah yes-to yee of little faith. Tremendous to see a win- look forward to the details.
The Aussies have had an injury/sickness plagued tour but obviously there is talent in the entire touring party- they have won where no other Aussie Schools rteam has ever done so.
I had noted that the NZ team contained 3 from Palmerston North High- long regarded as a powerhouse in NZ Schools Rugby. Saw them earlier in season when they played Knox after week-long training camp @ Narrabeen.
Big team but Knox matched them in a tight game.
Once again congratulations to the Aust Schools team! ;D

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Chosen said:
Noddy said:

Ah yes-to yee of little faith. Tremendous to see a win- look forward to the details.
The Aussies have had an injury/sickness plagued tour but obviously there is talent in the entire touring party- they have won where no other Aussie Schools rteam has ever done so.
I had noted that the NZ team contained 3 from Palmerston North High- long regarded as a powerhouse in NZ Schools Rugby. Saw them earlier in season when they played Knox after week-long training camp @ Narrabeen.
Big team but Knox matched them in a tight game.
Once again congratulations to the Aust Schools team! ;D

let's ship 'em and last year's lot off to Melbourne to be our 5th team!

O

oxe7

aussie blindside eddie quirk was winner of the bronze boot award. good achievement considering he wasnt even in the team initially!

Status
Not open for further replies.