• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The fact that Qld schoolboys generally finish a year earlier than NSW kids and that their 2 schools teams are accordingly younger on average, is not widely appreciated - down here anyway. It underlines how well Qld Schools do despite that.

I heard that they are changing that and adding a year on. Do you know anything about it?

There will be pluses and minuses for students leaving a year later from a life and employment point of view, but from a rugby point of view it will make our Oz Schools team more competitive against you know who.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lee or anyone, any word on this Michael Lynagh chap that was running around up here?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Saw him playing when he was 15 and thought he might be something. He was far and away the quickest kid on the rugby field and an ok size.

Having watched him in Qld rep sides the last couple of years, he seemed to have come back to the pack regarding speed (on a footy field anyway) and hadn't grown as much as many others. A lot of other guys just developed better I guess?

Not even sure if he is playing Colts?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Lee Grant said:
Casali - Waratahs contract? I assume that you mean an amateur Academy contract. You sure about that? Don't know him.

How have Kings gone in their trials? I heard that they lost one but that is neither here nor there; trials are trials.

I hear that Newington is giving a bit of cheek because they have a lot of boys back this year. Heard anything about them?

Yes Lee a Waratahs Amateur Contract he was being chased by League clubs but chose Union. Not especially tall in the Frier type he has been in that gun eastwood side that Cam Mitchell, Tim Bennetts and Mcaffrey were in. Newington believe it or not have experience and plenty of 16 year olds 4 or 5 I think. Best of the 16?s are Hugh Roach(Sydney 15?s),Keliti(GPS 3?s) so not bad at all.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So this kid Casali went from King's to Riverview and then back to King's. With a double dose and a half of confidence. I hope for his sake he's got humble parents.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Re: GPS & CAS Teams

Scarfman said:
Hey Aussie, good info. Any chance of CHS? The good guys?

I am looking for them but they don't have them on a webiste which is unfortunate! Although reports out today suggest they have been thrashed by ISA...

Sportal info though so I want to see it for my own eyes.

CHS 1's are missing Tim Bennetts Lee who broke his finger their is a possiblity he may just be picked for NSW schoolboys though based on last year.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)

Wow, a GPS team with only 2 Joeys kids. When was the last time that happened?

Cant say I'm a fan of the new schoolboy season with these teams getting picked before the season starts and having the main comps over two terms. What are the reasons they went this way?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

These teams have been announced because they are playing each other tomorrow at Newington. At the risk of getting my arse frozen off I may be there to look at the Ones and Twos. CHS has already played recently but I don't know who played for them. A bit of crafty googling could do it.

AD
Yeah Kings dominance indeed: 9 out of the 15 starters from one school in the Ones says a lot doesn't it? I haven't seen them this year and won't until they play Joeys but it looks like they would have to be the outright favourites for the GPS comp as has been rumoured since last year.

For those who don't know: the Kings and GPS captain is Cameron Mitchell, the star schools player in NSW. He has already played for Oz Schools and is in the NSW Academy. If anybody wants to have a look at him they should head out to New tomorrow pm, though there is talk that he was injured on the weekend. His Kings team mate LHP Mac Rutledge is apparently injured also, though selected. McGrath from the Twos will take his place if he is not right.

Another lad to look at is Kings winger Greg Jeloudev who is maybe not as fast a a speeding bullet but is PDQ.

CHS is playing at Knox's Curragul Fields on Friday and again at the Knox No.1 ground on Sunday. Although CHS Ones lost to ISA recently it's probable that the most significant game this year in the NSW trials will be their match against GPS Ones at 3.30pm on Sunday. I hope that the lads can see the ball by the end of the game.

If Bennetts can't play this week they could always pick him for NSW, after all, like Mitchell, he is in the NSW Academy and they know what he can do. The trouble is that the Oz Championships start in Canberra on the 8th of July; so he will have to be right by then.

Unfortunately Newington's gun no. 8, Keliti Vaingalo, is definitely out with a broken hand and will miss everything. He was in the Oz U/16 Merit team last year, and not to the point of this thread but the U/16 player of the tournament last year, Michael Hopper (ISA), is also in injury doubt for NSW in the Oz Championships.

Some of these lads (and Mitchell certainly if his rumoured injury is severe) could be picked for one of the two Oz Schools teams to play in September even if they miss the July national tournament through injury. There is enough precedent for it.

gambler

I have seen Joeys 3 times in trials this year and it's no surprise that they don't have a big representation. Also they didn't have one kid in the 2007 NSW U/16 team. All the same it was good to see Liam Walker from Joeys get picked for the GPS Ones despite just having a few games as scrummie in his life. There's a rumour though that he has already been snapped up by the Newcastle Knights - and he's in Yr.11. Bloody hell.

I was more surprised that Iggies didn't have anybody in the Ones.

I know what you mean about the timing of the trials. Sometimes a lad will show some cracking form later in the comp but the two Oz Schools teams have already been picked after they've played just one or two games.

For those who don't know: they have to have the Oz tournament in the July holidays because it's too late in the September holidays to cram in having trials for the states, then the national tournament involving the states, then the national schools teams picked from the national tournament to play against visiting teams or go on tour to the islands and NZ. These events have to be spread over two holiday periods.

Unless NSW starts its private schools rugby season earlier, which impinges on their athletics programme, I don't think it's going to change. Queensland starts their private schools season a lot earlier; so they are obviously not fitting as many things into the time available after the summer sports end.

PS - can somebody merge this with the Oz Schoolboys 2008 thread? Thanks.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

Lee Grant said:
These teams have been announced because they are playing each other tomorrow at Newington. At the risk of getting my arse frozen off I may be there to look at the Ones and Twos. CHS has already played recently but I don't know who played for them. A bit of crafty googling could do it.

AD
Yeah Kings dominance indeed: 9 out of the 15 starters from one school in the Ones says a lot doesn't it? I haven't seen them this year and won't until they play Joeys but it looks like they would have to be the outright favourites for the GPS comp as has been rumoured since last year.

For those who don't know: the Kings and GPS captain is Cameron Mitchell, the star schools player in NSW. He has already played for Oz Schools and is in the NSW Academy. If anybody wants to have a look at him they should head out to New tomorrow pm, though there is talk that he was injured on the weekend. His Kings team mate LHP Mac Rutledge is apparently injured also, though selected. McGrath from the Twos will take his place if he is not right.

Another lad to look at is Kings winger Greg Jeloudev who is maybe not as fast a a speeding bullet but is PDQ.

CHS is playing at Knox's Curragul Fields on Friday and again at the Knox No.1 ground on Sunday. Although CHS Ones lost to ISA recently it's probable that the most significant game this year in the NSW trials will be their match against GPS Ones at 3.30pm on Sunday. I hope that the lads can see the ball by the end of the game.

If Bennetts can't play this week they could always pick him for NSW, after all, like Mitchell, he is in the NSW Academy and they know what he can do. The trouble is that the Oz Championships start in Canberra on the 8th of July; so he will have to be right by then.

Unfortunately Newington's gun no. 8, Keliti Vaingalo, is definitely out with a broken hand and will miss everything. He was in the Oz U/16 Merit team last year, and not to the point of this thread but the U/16 player of the tournament last year, Michael Hopper (ISA), is also in injury doubt for NSW in the Oz Championships.

Some of these lads (and Mitchell certainly if his rumoured injury is severe) could be picked for one of the two Oz Schools teams to play in September even if they miss the July national tournament through injury. There is enough precedent for it.

gambler

I have seen Joeys 3 times in trials this year and it's no surprise that they don't have a big representation. Also they didn't have one kid in the 2007 NSW U/16 team. All the same it was good to see Liam Walker from Joeys get picked for the GPS Ones despite just having a few games as scrummie in his life. There's a rumour though that he has already been snapped up by the Newcastle Knights - and he's in Yr.11. Bloody hell.

I was more surprised that Iggies didn't have anybody in the Ones.

I know what you mean about the timing of the trials. Sometimes a lad will show some cracking form later in the comp but the two Oz Schools teams have already been picked after they've played just one or two games.

For those who don't know: they have to have the Oz tournament in the July holidays because it's too late in the September holidays to cram in having trials for the states, then the national tournament involving the states, then the national schools teams picked from the national tournament to play against visiting teams or go on tour to the islands and NZ. These events have to be spread over two holiday periods.

Unless NSW starts its private schools rugby season earlier, which impinges on their athletics programme, I don't think it's going to change. Queensland starts their private schools season a lot earlier; so they are obviously not fitting as many things into the time available after the summer sports end.

PS - can somebody merge this with the Oz Schoolboys 2008 thread? Thanks.

Yep fair points Lee - One player unlucky to miss out on 1's was Mike MacDougall the kid can play and has been consistently one of the best in the Kings backline this season although you can't have an all Kings backline ha! Was speaking to Mr James the other day(Father of Ben) who is the head of rugby at Kings now. He said he thought Tim and Cameron were on par with each other in terms of quality so hopefully we both see them in the centres this season for Aus Schoolboys. Pretty big rap from an ex Wallaby.

Also we discussed Ben Coridas and he mentioned he thought it was disgraceful that Dave Karamanis the CHS 3rds openside was in 3rds as last year he was smashing Coridas at the breakdown at NTS sessions. He mentioned if he joined West Harbour now they would put him in 1st grade while atm he is playing 1st colts. Pretty big rap hopefully he shines through. He called him the best junior openside he had coached.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
AD

Wow - those were big comments. I didn't realise Mr James was Ben's father - good blood lines.

Interesting his comments about Karamanis. It's no doubt that some kids get a crook deal in schools selections, especially those who don't go to the big private rugby schools. It hurts at the time but in a year or two they can get their own back in senior rugby if they are good enough.

Meantime it is confirmed that 1 Rutledge and 13. Mitchell won't be playing for GPS v. CAS tomorrow, but there is talk that Mitchell will play v. CHS on Sunday. McGrath from Joeys will play LHP and Gilmore from Shore will play outside centre in their places.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
AD

I watched McDougall in the trials at Newington, playing in the Twos and I can see why you think he should have been in the GPS Ones. He's very reminiscent of the old All Black centre Bruce Robertson (you'd have to ask Mr James about him) in that he makes very good decisions, passes at the right moment (and especially not too early), yet when he has to have a go himself knows what to do.

Mind you, 12 Jarvis (Newington) playing in the GPS Ones and 13 Gilmour (Shore) subbing for Mitchell in Ones, were both very good except when combinations let them down. This is typical in trial games.

I spoke to the injured Mac Rutledge at the ground. He said that he was very disappointed to miss out on all the trials this year but that his Kings mate Mitchell, who has a catalogue of niggles, was just being rested and would be back for the Sunday game v. CHS. Mac looked like a lost soul on his arm crutches and I wished him well for an early recovery.

Casali played well except for a few dodgy lineout throws. He is reminiscent of the Oz U20 hooker, James Hanson, a real goer with the pill and is always backing up for crumbs. Intelligent too. I can see why people are touting him to be the Oz Schools rake this year, but we haven't seen the Queenslanders yet - or the rest of them.

I spent the afternoon with the Kings mafia including Peter Raffers, a long time Kings tragic, and even older than I am. Everybody came over to talk to him and, sitting next to him, I seemed to meet half the Kings staff. They didn't take exception to the fact that I was a Joeys tragic.

But back to to the trials between GPS and CAS: GPS won the Threes 48-6 and also the Twos 29-0. .

The Ones game was a different story. It was a crazy entertaining match. GPS were all over CAS in the first half and went ahead 26-3 at one stage before they dropped a ball which CAS picked up gratefully to score to make it 26-10 at half-time.

I was expecting a GPS walkover in the 2nd half but after oranges CAS came out as though they had swapped jerseys. They strangled GPS who couldn't get the pill even they had waved $50 notes at the opposition. CAS bitch-slapped GPS for most of the second half and before you knew it they were up 39-26. Crickey. Then GPS unlocked the pill and ran in 3 late tries to win 47-39.

Talk about fun !!

As you can imagine it wasn't good rugby for those who like a strong defensive game, but there weren't too many disappointed spectators who like expansive rugby.

It's hard to nominate who must have impressed the selectors - with one exception. All the backs from both teams used the ball well whenever their combinations worked, which wasn't always. Both back lines feasted on a lack of defensive cohesion and the downright poor tackling of the other team.

Selection for NSW from the players in these two teams may well go down to how well they defend in the next game. Selectors will know that Queensland will run through these players like a dose of salts unless they improve.

The most dominant feature of the game apart from the attack of both backlines was the GPS scrum; it won the CAS ball a few times and kept them in the game.

The best player on the park, and the exception I mentioned, was winger Pao Pele from Trinity. He is an ethic Islander lad who has matured ahead of most of the boys on the park and made a break just about every time he got the ball. A few times he got the pill and ran into a gang of blue jerseys and emerged on the other side as though they were never there.

Think of a young Tana Umaga in the days when he was a winger and you have the style of Pele.

He is still raw and made a few flashy mistakes but if he can improve on those he will walk into the NSW Ones. I hope I am wrong, because he is an exciting talent, but to my jaundiced eye he looked like a league player playing rugby union.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
AD

You will be happy - MacDougall has been promoted to the GPS Ones to partner Kings team mate Mitchell against CHS on Sunday. In other news the sensational Keliti Vaingalo is fit to play 8.

Had Rutledge not hurt himself Kings would have had 10 players in the GPS Ones XV.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Lee Grant said:
AD

You will be happy - MacDougall has been promoted to the GPS Ones to partner Kings team mate Mitchell against CHS on Sunday. In other news the sensational Keliti Vaingalo is fit to play 8.

Had Rutledge not hurt himself Kings would have had 10 players in the GPS Ones XV.

Yep good news.

Hope Keliti plays well have been playing against him since U11's(Randwick) and playing with Roach from New as well in my Gordon side.

Roach is one to look for Lee when I changed to hooker he kept his spot in the run on team!

Keliti has been that tall since he was about 11 and running around on the wing for Randwick unbeilevably! Have you heard of the Goodman's Lee?(Barker 1's) Stuart is the other player who played with Keliti in NSW 16's last season as a 15 year old. Both injured so not picked for CAS atm. Other players who played in that side included Henry Carmichael Joey's nemesis goal kicker from a few weeks ago and Roach of course. You will see a few more appear in the next year don't you worry!

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.