• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
the gambler said:
Yeah was for Scots Centenry year in 1993. Was the first real case of importing kids by non catholic schools. Joeys and Iggys had been importing players even back in the 1970's, but as we know most King's boys are slow learners so its not surprising they took 30 years to catch on.

I remember my family knew a prop that was at Malabar High who went to play for Scots. Luke Mann I think his name was. Really nice kid who suffered a shocking knee injury that cut his career short.

Whats the story with all these current King's kids. They been at the school since 1st form or are they ring ins? Are any accumalating?

Joeys and View importing? Gee, I never...

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Check Paul Sheehan's article from 2002.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/25/1030053009900.html

PS. TG, make yourself available for senior English lessons after the holidays so you can work on your spelling. Well, it is a schools thread.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I did notice both the Centenary and accumulating mistakes as soon as I saw it posted, but as you say, its a school thread so probably quite fitting.

Were there any others? As for grammatical errors, I never really bother when writing emails or posts to try and be technically correct. I'm sure that if you go through all my posts you will see hundreds of errors.

Dont just pick on me though. Aussie Dom said their when he meant there.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
2008 NSW Schools U16s

D Atkinson (The Scots College)
M Bannon (Newington College)
A Brent (The Scots College)
R Brodie (Waverley College)
J Caulderan (Oakhill College)
M Cullen (All Saints College St Peter's Campus, Maitland)
A Fine (Waverley College)
A Franklin (St Augustine's College)
S Goodman (Barker College)
M Hingano (St Augustine's College)
T Kauffman (St Augustine's College)
S Latu (Illawarra Sports High School)
A Latunipulu (Endeavour Sports High School)
M McCaffrey (St Ignatius College)
R McNeil (Barker College)
C Nay (Blue Mountains Grammar School)
H Roche (Newington College)
J Tarry (Narrabeen Sports High School)
K Vaingalo (Newington College)
J Vaka (Henry Kendall High School)
J Wallace (Waverley College)
J Williams (St Josephs College)
A Wyper (The King's School)

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Lee Grant said:
gambler

Noddy

Apart from Stephano Hunt who are the gun players from Qld this year?
Lee,

From what I have seen or heard, these may be guys to keep your eye on apart from Stef Hunt:

Qld 1

Feao - Strong running prop who was Aus A last year.
Morahan - fullback and younger brother of Luke. Has kept Elih Baillee (OZ 16 merit side last year) in Qld 2.
Ambrosini - No 10 and only non GPS player in the starting 1's side.
Quirk - A number of people have suggested that this backrower is one to watch.

I would be interested in your comments on Breddenhamm (9) and Faulkner (13). People are saying it is a strong Qld 1 side. Not sure how the 2's will go but as Noddy said, great to see so many players from non-traditional schools.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
speckie

Yeah good to see that trend.

Historically Queensland has been 'worse' in the high percentage of private school players in their Schools teams, than NSW, who are in a 'bad' enough position themselves.

Mind you, many more boys would come from state schools if they weren't poached by big rugby schools in both states however much the schools deny it.

Until more money is taken from the high end of Oz rugby (S14 and Wallabies) and diverted to the low end so that more missionary work in promising areas can be carried out, I don't think that the percentage of lads who go to state schools will change a lot despite a year or two of anomalous percentages that excite us from time to time.

Thanks for your list of promising Qld lads. I will watch them closely in Canberra next week.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
How did Kurtley end up at Joeys, given that he grew up around Blacktown?

Joeys have a very worthwhile indigenous education program which was set up for completely altruistic reasons. Kurtley started in year 7, as did his younger brother, so they can't be accused of targeting young lads good at sport. His younger brother didn't take to the regimented lifestyle at a boarding school and now goes to a local high school out west somewhere and plays league for Penrith.

Apart from Joeys, Riverview, St Scholastica's Glebe and St Catherine's Waverley (Joan Sutherland's alma mater) accept indigenous students with some support from the Federal Government. The aim of this exercise is to have well-educated young people return to their aboriginal communities and lead them out of the mess they're in. People like Noel Pearson and Aden Ridgway have benefited from similar programs in the past.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Good stuff.

(Are you sure the application procedure doesn't include a quick game of touch?) ;)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A few of the Joeys aborigine lads are good at rugby but you can see many more of the ones in the lower school grades that are not; some are good at other sports but the majority aren't, and there's one good artist that I know of, and a hot shot debater.

Many have no particular merit in sport. They're a pretty good cross section of aborigine lads and aren't chosen by the the Joeys school but by a committee of the Council comprising the various stakeholders in the programme. Potential for leadership is the most important determinant in their selection.

But because of the Beale brothers (William was better than Kurtley at the same age) this furphy about poaching 13 y.o. aborigine boys for rugby will prevail because of the ignorance (in the true uninsulting meaning of the word) of people who don't know the full story.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Australian U16 Merit Team from two seasons ago :

1 Loose Head Prop, Mac Rutledge, NSW Schools
2 Hooker, Josh Poplawski, QLD Red
3 Tight Head Prop, Cruze Ah-Nau, WA
4 Lock, Mark Johnson, NSW Schools
5 Lock, James Beaufils, Nat Indigenous
6 Blindside Flanker, Aaron Chapman, QLD Red
7 Openside Flanker, David Karamanis, NSW Schools
8 No 8, Lachlan McCafferey, NSW Schools
9 Halfback, Mark Swanepoel, QLD Red
10 Flyhalf, Matt To'omua, QLD Red
11 L Wing, James Swan, NSW Schools
12 Inside Centre, James O'Connor, QLD Red
13 Outside Centre, Cameron Mitchell, NSW Schools
14 R Wing, Stephen Millar, SA
15 Fullback, Aidan Toua, QLD Red

M

Mainlander

Lee Grant said:
I will watch them closely in Canberra next week.

They playing in Canberra next week or this weekend?

Reason I'm asking is I might pop down and watch if it on in the Weekend but unfortunately am heading to Brisbane Monday morning

Am curious to see how the QLD lad Mitch Wenck goes. Another of my 2nd lad?s old team mates/friends.

The other was/is Matt To'omua who's now in the Brumbies and got game time in this year?s super-14.

Scary to see these kids actually becoming young men and with very good chances of being future representatives of their countries Although Matt is a Kiwi and once a big AB supporter he tells us he now supports the Wallabies.

Coached a lad as a kid who I understand went very close to becoming a Hurricanes this year as well.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The games start next Tuesday 8/7/08.

More details are here:

http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/default.asp?type=calendarlist

Young Matt has a big future in rugby if he can take his schoolboy prowess to senior rugby. I saw him for two years as a schoolboy and it was as clear as day that he had professional potential - something you can't warrant with props and 2nd rowers.

Brumbies fans are talking about Lealiifano developing nicely and being a top player in the near future, but I would get more excited about young Matt.

No doubt in a year or two he will shine and posters will be gushing about their discovery whilst you, spectator and I smile to ourselves.

PS - Matt is playing his club rugby in Sydney now for naza's team, Eastern Suburbs. It's a good move for him. He will be a much better player for the Brumbies next year as a consequence.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
AD,

Australian U16 Merit Team from two seasons ago :

The impressive thing is that five of the seven backs made Aus Schoolboys the following year as 17 year olds.

Lee,

How has Matt T gone at Eastwood?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
speckie

It's Eastern Suburbs actually, on the other side of town, not Eastwood which is at least mid-west. This raises a digression as to why Eastwood got its name when it's not in the east; but since I don't know the answer without googling, everybody is spared 100 words.

I haven't heard anything about Matt's play with the Easts Beasts, which is obviously a misnomer this year, but Clyde Rathbone got a few column inches for having his first run in 18 months, for them.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Combined States Squad to play at the ARFSU Championships 2008

Michael D'adamo Central College WA
Kyle Davies Charles Darwin TAFE NT
Tinus Dorante Trinity Grammar School VIC
Rodney Esekia Chandler Secondary College VIC
Nadik Gunesekere Salesian College VIC
Ben Hales Scotch College WA
Angus Hamilton Scotch College VIC
David Hardisty St Kevin's College VIC
Afa Iosefa Wellington Secondary College VIC
Tasesa Lalotoa Eumemmerring College VIC
Melbourne Lesa Melton Secondary College VIC
Michael Loubser Lake Joondalup College WA
Darryl Mitchell Hale School WA
Michael Parker Challenger College WA
Reuben Rollerston Chandler Secondary College VIC
Alex Rovira Challenger College WA
AJ Scheck Reservoir District College VIC
Siliva Siliva Narre Warren South College VIC
Reggie Simpson Swan College WA
Heremaia Te Aute Aranmore Catholic College WA
Fred Terepita Chandler Secondary College VIC
Evan Thollar Elizabeth College TAS
Justin Turner Central College WA
Wayne Vitale Hampton Pk Secondary College VIC

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Lee Grant said:

Interesting- Daryl Mitchell is the son of John Mitchell(Western Force Coach)
Saw him play about 18 months ago when Gordon 16s & 15s toured WA.
Mitchell if a fly-half and fancied himself as a goal-kicker. Be interesting to see if he has develped further.

W

whocares

Lee Grant said:
This raises a digression as to why Eastwood got its name when it's not in the east

Having lived in Eastwood my whole life i can help you with your digression Lee.
It was named after a settler's property that was east of a wood.... the originality of the Poms strikes again

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Welcome aboard Chosen.

I'll watch him next week to see if any of the the father's genes have turned up again - though I remember Mitch with 8 on his jersey.

whocares

Who cares? ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for that.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
The Chosen said:
Lee Grant said:

Interesting- Daryl Mitchell is the son of John Mitchell(Western Force Coach)
Saw him play about 18 months ago when Gordon 16s & 15s toured WA.
Mitchell if a fly-half and fancied himself as a goal-kicker. Be interesting to see if he has develped further.

I was playing in the 14's which was basically 15's for both of the two games he played against our 16's... :-\. Not Daryl's age.

Were you just an interested observor or what we got the biggest jipping of all time if you watched the younger age group against the state team ....!

If you did please say you concur!? As that was the first time we had lost a competitive game together as a team. This year was first time we had lost a state champs game! In semi with a quarter of our team out with private school commitments etc!

Status
Not open for further replies.