• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Qld I 47 Qld II 7 (Non- competition game)

At 33-7 at oranges I thought this was going to be a massacre but Qld I took their foot off the throat and it was 40-7 until just before the final bell when Qld I scored at the death.

The two Qld I wingers, Situata and Sautia, continued their great form and are clearly the best in the position. Situata hogged the ball again in this game but he nearly always made a break or scored a try when he did; so you can't knock him too much. Qld should nab these guys for their Academy else a league team will grab them as the Storm grabbed Tomane two years ago.

Their reserve winger James May is not too shabby either. He's as fast as a greyhound and just as skinny. Is probably the fastest player in the comp.

Watched THP Emile again, in the 2nd half and he was good again. He's going to be big enough for pro rugby and if he ever comes near your place don't let him anywhere near the fridge. Grab him Reds.

Combined States 20 NSW I 15

It wasn't that much of a shock that NSW I lost to Combined States as I witnessed the same thing last year in Canberra, and it was in the same circumstances.

Again, a malfunctioning team of better players (on paper) was beaten by a team of no names who lifted. It was great to see the endeavour of the CS boys and their celebration was as enthusiastic as in 2008, though it was a pity that the benches were on the side of the ground opposite the spectators and it didn't have the same impact with the crowd as in Canberra.

I knew NSW I was in trouble because they won only one lineout out of about 10 - and I'm talking about the warm up. The lineout was perfect on Day 1 but the reserve hooker froze when he got to start the game - then when the regular hooker came on he missed a few too.

The NSW I midfield was mediocre and 12 Ha'angana had a game he will want to forget. Again 15 Woodhouse was like a swan amongst the ducks and 9 Stizacker probably confirmed himself (at this stage) as first pick for Oz Schools.

8 Jones, a likely pick for the Oz Schools 1st XV, looked badly injured today from in a piddling incident and could be out of the tournament.

NSW played some dumb rugby and CS were relentless in their defence and taking advantage of NSW errors. The best NSW idea was a maul near the end but they didn't try it again.

The old codger who was screaming: "Don't give it to the backs!" when NSW I was near the CS goal line just before the final whistle was me.

They gave it to the backs.

NSW I 16 ACT 7 [Not 16-5 as the scoreboard and ground announcer indicated.]

Not to the same extent, but this was another case of lesser players peforming better as a team than the other mob. Like CS in the earlier game: the ACT team was relentless.

7 David Kerr from St. Eddies was like a blue heeler - and 13 Jake Holland from the same school aimed himself at gaps before he got the ball, with effect, though he missed a tackle near his goal line and NSW scored. The tall 15 BrendanTaueki from Erindale College had a few good runs but the ACT couldn't link with him.

The inside centres in this comp have been disappointing, but Tyson Frizell NSW II has been the pick of them.

• If Combined States beat Qld II on Saturday they are in the final on Monday. If Qld II beat CS by 20 points or more, they play in the final. If Qld II beat CS by 19 points or less then NSW I make it through on for and against points as they did last year.

In the other pool NSW II will make the final if they beat Qld I; a draw will not help them. If Qld II qualify for the final, but NSW II beats Qld I, then the Twos teams will play each other in the final as they did in 2006.

My pick? Qld I to beat Qld II in the final.

R

rugbywhisperer

Great reports Lee.
I am a bit taken aback by what is fastly appearing to be another yawning gap between Qld and NSW school boy players.
I had the impression from all the pre tournament banter both here and other sites that the NSW teams this year could be far more accountable than they are showing.
I am however not surprised at the gap between the 2 Qld teams and there have been a few murmurings that had they simply put in the 2 GPS teams from Qld the 2nd team would have performed far better.
Obviously there has to be some representationfrom the non GPS schools however from all reports the selections for the Qld II's has been shown to be wanting in some respects. I do not think GPS II's would have lost to Qld I by that margin and Qld bar one or 2 exceptions are GPS I's.
I am interested in how Mitchell Felsman at 15 for Qld II has performed as his selection over James May and moreso Joe Lalagavesi of State High (in the shadows) was big point of contention. Joe had been a standout performer all year and had a good trials up in Qld so his non selection to many was a big surprise.
I think even with the known shortcomings of some of the Qld I team that they were expected to perform very well but I think the results (so far) have been better than expected.

O

oxe7

i think alot of the reason nsw schools dont perform is teamwork. They are good individual players but dont work as a team. We saw this in the u16 national championships last year when the came 4th nehind qld 1 and 2 and a sydney side made up of players who couldnt make nsw.

As said qld is all from GPS and these guys have played togethor and know each other reasonably well.

R

rugbywhisperer

Not only that, but many of the Qld players are also in the NTS (weekly training together ) plus some who didn't travel to Sydney, so they have all had ample time to learn each others game and they are all very, very good friends on and off the field. There is little if no conflict, they work well and so the results as far as teamwork goes certainly reflect that.
These guys will even congratulate each other even in opposition. They are a very close group.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
My comments in bold

rugbywhisperer said:
I had the impression from all the pre tournament banter both here and other sites that the NSW teams this year could be far more accountable than they are showing. Talk about schools rugby players is always cheap. NSW I went through the same minefield last year when CS beat them but they snuck through to the final. They lost it but they played their best game of the tournament, and if they make the final this year, I'll back them to play their best game though their midfield is quite awful. They have some good players from 9 down, a good winger and an elite fullback. There won't be a lot between the two teams if they make the final and keep the ball in close.

I am however not surprised at the gap between the 2 Qld teams and there have been a few murmurings that had they simply put in the 2 GPS teams from Qld the 2nd team would have performed far better. Well, the Qld I team is mostly all GPS; so there wouldn't be a lot left for the Twos.

I am interested in how Mitchell Felsman at 15 for Qld II has performed as his selection over James May and moreso Joe Lalagavesi of State High (in the shadows) was big point of contention. Joe had been a standout performer all year and had a good trials up in Qld so his non selection to many was a big surprise. I have no notes in my programme about Felsman being good or bad, but I analyse the Qld I and NSW I teams the closest. Will watch him more tomorrow. James May is super impressive for a reserve player.

I think even with the known shortcomings of some of the Qld I team that they were expected to perform very well but I think the results (so far) have been better than expected. They don't have too many shortcomings. Their 2nd row look like backrowers playing lock but they get mobility pluses from that to balance a lack of height at lineout time. Their 12 Auva'a has been quiet, but he got a bad knock on Day 1. Simon Morahan from TSS has been quiet also. As for Matahaere who you talked about elsewhere: he started yesterday and was OK at flyhalf. 10 and 12 have not been strong positions in the tournament, as was the case last year. Saifoloi is probably the best flyhalf though it is faint praise.

rugbywhisperer said:
Not only that, but many of the Qld players are also in the NTS (weekly training together ) plus some who didn't travel to Sydney, so they have all had ample time to learn each others game and they are all very, very good friends on and off the field. There is little if no conflict, they work well and so the results as far as teamwork goes certainly reflect that.They are a very close group. You can see that, as you could last year.

oxe7 said:
i think alot of the reason nsw schools dont perform is teamwork. They are good individual players but dont work as a team. Exactly so, and the same as last year also. But put some of the NSW I forwards and the 9 and 15 in an Oz Schools 1st XV and it will be a different story.

R

rugbywhisperer

Matahaere appears to have done well then. He started the Qld trials as a reserve for GPS and hadn't had his best year, actually spending time in Nudgee 2nd's we are told after the trauma of the TSS game. Saifoloi from State High was certaily the form 10 so far this year and if Caden has come close to overshadowing him in Sydney that is a huge turnaround. It's a shame our 10 position does not have the quality or depth of past years as this is a vital position. If the other states do not have a 10 to compliment or better Saifolio then there are problems for the upcoming series with NZ.
Moraghan has been quiet all year but did put in a couple of great performances in the Qld trials and the last couple of GPS games and he looked as though he was on his way back to his best. He is a great attacking player when he is on his game. James May can certainly cover for 15 as this is his usual position but it is a shame you didn't get to see Lalagavesi in action as he is a good running 15 very dangerous in broken play as are most good 15's.
As for GPS players left over, they had two teams of absolute quality players in the Qld trials and as I said earlier, a Qld II team of the leftover GPS players would be a very competitive team. There is talk of having 3 GPS teams contest the Qld trials such is the depth in the Qld GPS compared to the AIC and State school teams. It's not a healthy situation but it is what it is and quite a few talented players who would easily GPS reserves got a run in the trials but to see three teams actually competing would have been to many a fairer situation. Unlike NSW, there is a yawning and increasing gap between GPS and the rest in Qld. Not healthy but it is there.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Just back from Day 3. Congratulations to Combined States in making the final for the first time. They will play Qld I.

NSW I will play NSW II - and ACT will play Qld II for the spoon.

More to follow after I have had some grub and watched the TV match of the day.

F

formeropenside

rugbywhisperer said:
Not only that, but many of the Qld players are also in the NTS (weekly training together ) plus some who didn't travel to Sydney, so they have all had ample time to learn each others game and they are all very, very good friends on and off the field. There is little if no conflict, they work well and so the results as far as teamwork goes certainly reflect that.
These guys will even congratulate each other even in opposition. They are a very close group.

Dont overlook the obvious RW, they are Queenslanders after all, and therefore better by definition than other Australians.

Are they still a year younger as a rule too?

R

rugbywhisperer

The Qldrs also get a lot of inspiration and momentum from their (by now) hereditary and near maniacal dislike of the southerners. There is just something that drives them on to beat anyone from NSW. Rather intriguing really to observe it as NSWelshman living Qld - mind if you have ever read any history on the a)beginnings of Qld and b)the development of rugby in Qld at the time of the league breakaway you would understand - and maybe sympathise with their mistrust and dislike. It certainly drives them on that's for sure.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Bugger - spent a whole session of watching the cricket and doing a report on Day 3 between overs - and this morning it's not there and I can't find it.

Don't want to revisit everything I wrote last night but will endeavour to name my Oz Schools 1st XV later in the day and put some of the Day 3 stuff in as notes.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
By the time I get home from Day 4 tomorrow the Oz team would have been announced so I will give my Oz team now:

15. Jacob Woodhouse Scots NSW I - Class and surety in a difficult tournament for NSW I backs. Simon Morahan, TSS Qld I, had a good Day 3 against NSW II but didn't do enough.

14. Chris Sautia Nudgee College Qld I - Blotted his copybook on Day 3 when he didn't pass the ball with the line wide open for his support, but otherwise was always accurate and dangerous. Honourable mention to Scott Ferris, Kings, NSW I, who may have done better with a better midfield inside him.

13. Jake Holland St. Edmunds ACT - A smokey - missed one tackle that led to a try during the week but otherwise defended well and he bothered opponents just about every time he ran with the ball as he aimed himself at gaps before he got the pill. Honourable mention to Rod Esekia, Chandler College, Vic, Combined States.

12. Tyson Frizell Ilawarra SHS NSW II - Another smokey - in a position that was not strongly represented. Honourable mention to Heremaia Te Aute, CJC, WA, Combined States

11. Kimani Situata Brisbane SHS Qld I - The most exciting player of the tournament and arguably the greediest although he thought more of his team mates on Day 3.

10. Rohan Saifoloi Brisbane SHS Qld I - Had a commanding game on Day 3 with distribution, tactical kicking and one long run that lead to a try. Honourable mention to Kyle Goodwin, Aquinas College, WA, Combined States. Not a lot lot of strong candidates.

9. Nic Stirzacker
Knox NSW I - The best all round scrummie of the comp. Honourable mention to Jack Rowntree, St Augustines, NSW II.

8. Matt Ika
Brisbane SHS Qld I - A hard player and very good from the base of the scrum. Got a yellow card on Day 3 for throwing a scummie away from a ruck but I always thought that was a virtue of a no. 8, not a fault.

7. Liam Gill Gregory Terrace Qld I - Outstanding fetcher, linker and tackler. Probably the player of the tournament. Omnipresent; one had to check his jersey number from time to time to see if there was not a lookalike team mate doing some of his work. Will have to beef up to play professional rugby.

6. Usaia O'Sullivan Trinity College - Injured in trials and did not play in the tournament. Jordan Tuapou BSHS Qld I will therefore most likely get selected ahead of UOS, but this is my team. Honourable mention to Michael Dempsey Riverview NSW I who played 6 in the tournament after being shifted from the 2nd row when UOS was hurt before the comp.

5. Greg Peterson Scots NSW I - outstanding tall lock with bulk. One of the best in the last 5 years.

4. Luke Jones
St Pius X NSW I - Can play 6 or 8 also. In Oz A last year; continued his form in 2009 and has to play somewhere.

3. Paul Alo Emile Brisbane SHS Qld I - One of the best scrummaging THPs for years and one doesn't doubt that he can make the grade in pro rugby. Oliver Hoskins Scotch College, WA, Combined States, would make the Ones in other years - and honourable mention to Tom Lamont, SJC, NSW II. The best year for scrummaging THPs for a while.

2. Hugh Roach Newington NSW I Like most other hookers he had a few bad throws. Not much between some of the players. Not a strong position in the tournament.

1. Jack Kimminoe TSS Qld I - Not a strong position, especially compared to THP.

Comments

- There will probably be more CS boys picked than I have nominated, but I thought that their success in qualifying for the final was due more to good teamwork than superlative individual play.

- No regard should be made to how many, or few, boys were chosen from each team. A few years back Qld I and NSW I did not make the final, yet most of the 1st XV were from those two teams.

F

formeropenside

Lee - while I won't deny I'd love to see more Queenslanders get selected in the team to reflect their continued schoolboy dominance, I do seriously have to ask, if results don't matter then why have the competition? If you just select the Aust schoolboys without any reference to the games, why bother having them?

R

rugbywhisperer

We also have to take into account the absence of Jarod Butler at the tournament thru injury. As I understand it he may be given an opportunity to tour as he will not be ready to play for another 2 months.
I agree with the way that Qldrs may feel - continued performance should be reflected in representation - as much as it hurts to say it they have been the performers for a few years now and their players are good, the problem is they know it, they will crow about it and they will scream like a stuck pig if they don't get the numbers that reflect their dominance.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Just back Qld I beat Combined States 43-17 to win the comp. Well done lads.

I wasn't defending what the practice is in selecting Oz Schools teams - just saying what happens.

Take NSW I for example: they have some elite Schools players but their team was crap as far as teamwork was concerned. I'm not sure about other groups but the GPS boys have played just 1, or some 2, games for their schools and they go straight into state trials and then the national championships.

Thus they have played in 3 different teams in 2 or 3 weeks. You can see who the good players are but those 3 teams they have played in (school, state group, state) haven't jelled yet and it affects the play of the individuals. NSW I played their best game by far today, but it was their 4th game together.

Sure, the other state teams are in the same boat but 3 years ago, say, you were always going to pick Quade Cooper, who had a rotten tournament for Qld I, in the Oz Schools team, even though his team didn't make the final. Likewise Kurtley Beale, who played well in 3 out of the 4 games, was always going to be picked ahead of the flyhalves for Qld II or NSW II, who made the final.

Beale was picked at 10 for Oz Schools and Cooper 12 and they ripped Tonga Schools apart at Hunters Hill. The lads in the NSW II and Qld II teams were not nearly of the same quality although their teams were better than the Ones team.

You see this all the time. The selectors know who the best 6-8 players are in the country before the tournament starts (my numbers guess). The national comp serves to look at the other 7-9 for the Oz Schools Ones XV, to decide between one well known player or another, and to pick the Oz Twos XXIII. They can also see who of the 6-8 favourite sons have lost form.

whispers

Didn't know 8 Jarrad Butler was back at school but he will certainly make the tour if he scrubs up OK after the injury as he was in the Oz Schools 1st XV last year; likewise Michael Hooper (as I have said before: the best player in the 2008 comp IMO) will tour if his operation did the job OK and he has recovered. Like Noah, Oz Schools take two of everybody in the ark when they visit Europe.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Oz Schools 1st XV is not up on the net yet so I'm changing my team

Lee Grant said:
By the time I get home from Day 4 tomorrow the Oz team would have been announced so I will give my Oz team now:

10. Rohan Saifoloi Kyle Goodwin, Aquinas College, WA, Combined States played better than Saifoloi in the head to head match today and kicked his goals better IIRR.

8. Matt Ika Curtis Browning Brisbane SHS Qld I - The 2nd rower had an absolute blinder today and always looked like a backrower during the week - and is a tad short to go against tall timber in the lineout. With ball in hand CS couldn't stop him a lot of times. The selectors may pick a specialist 8 but I can't overlook him as he has all the attributes of an 8.

O

oxe7

curtis browning was sensational with 4 tries and just continuous hard work. good in the lineouts as well. he didnt stand out to me on day 1 but that performance should get him in aus schools somewhere

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The games today:

Qld II 22 ACT 21

An exciting game from lesser teams and a thrilling finish.

14 Liam Law from Ippies was fast and elusive and made two tries. 15. Mitchell Felsman of Ioana College had a very ordinary tournament but scored a brilliant individual try from about 70 metres our when he ran outside the ACT centre kicked long over the fullback and got the pill to score. Kimani Situata in the Ones would have been proud of that one.

Andy Friend, who was at the ground today, wouldn't have too many of the 2009 ACT players pencilled in for Academy duty but 13 Holland's name is probably in the book. Is not the fastest, but otherwise shows promise of going further as a senior player.

NSW I 41 NSW II 17

NSW Ones I finally started like looking like a team. There was a bit of needle in this game as some of the original selections weren't that clear cut and some of the Twos had their noses out of joint, but the class of some of the Ones at last had some effect.

15 Woodhouse had another top game and 9 Stirzacker had some willing helpers for a change to make his consistent efforts more productive.

Qld I 43 Combined States 17 [Final]

Qld had too much class and the CS blue heeler effort started panting after a while. 15 Simon Morahan TSS had quiet games on Days 1 and 2 but picked up the pace on Days 3 and 4. Today he scored a terrific individual try. Winger Kimani Situata scored a brilliant chip and chase try in the opening minute, just about, and looked too fast and too strong every time he had the ball.

To his credit he passed the ball more today and looked more of a complete footballer accordingly. Sign him up Reds - right now, before the Broncos get him.

R

rugbywhisperer

Early word
Sautia and Situata, Moraghan, Kimmince, Marais from Qld, Ruka Hanlon, all BSHS players are in, apparently the CS No7 impressed

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Perhaps if Cooper hadn't have had an average performance rewarded then he'd be a better player for it now!

D

Double V

Righto lads - Teams are in!

ACT

13. J. Holland (AUS1)

CS

5. A. Hamilton (AUS2)
8. N. Paila (AUS2)
10. K. Godwin (AUS1)
12. R. Esekia (AUS2)

NSWI

1. R. Quigley (AUS2)