• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I

If the past use of other schools players of their type is any guide, both Kellaway and Jones will be ideal to be in the Oz 7s when they leave school, though we will have to wait a while to see as they are both in Yr.12 next year. They are instinctive attacking players and good defenders when chasing fast opponents. Jones' speed is exceptional and Kellaway is no slug either.

Jones is already 91kgs at age 16; so watch this space.

I dont think the emphasis on 7's does them any favours for 15's and maybe slows their development in the full game - what do you think?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't mind it, especially for wingers, as they can work on their finishing and stop other folks from doing it.

But the main reason it does them good is that it gets them on a world stage playing in big games.

A lad trotting out from the bench in Super Rugby for the first time is well served by such experience so long as he hasn't lost the XVs stuff he should have.

G

G-78-XV-V

A missed point about last nights game was how good it was to see these quality players on a dry, top quality pitch. The pace of the game, particularly in the 1st half was outstanding.

an observer

Herbert Moran (7)
The ground was in superb condition. The game was entertaining and the first half and last 15 minutes of second half displayed some outstanding rugby skills and team work. The forwards kept on moving forward, but IMO they appeared to get in the way of the backs on more than one occasion and there was a strong sense of white line fever. In saying that though they played very well. I notice no mention of 11, 14 or 10 in your report Lee? Interested to know your thoughts, especially after the speculation of who would be playing in the back line.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
I dont think the emphasis on 7's does them any favours for 15's and maybe slows their development in the full game - what do you think?

Of course, it depends. I think Bernard Foley's time as captain of the Oz 7s will serve him & hopefully the Tahs well in the long term. His spatial awareness and timing of his runs made him look special from fullback even in a number of losing Tahs' performances this year.

He's obviously still a work in progress at 10 but IMO must be perserved with. Anyway, I digress. Pleased to hear that some of the current crop of Australian schoolboys are already being thought of in 7s terms, at least. Looking forward to their performances in Fiji & NZ.

H

HarveyColon

well after hearing all about harry jones here it has to be said that grammar misses you xxxoooo

Waratard

Stan Wickham (3)
Saturday nights game was a great spectacle and display of young Australian rugby talent but in all fairness, it was never going to be much of a contest and the match proved to be a very open game for most parts. Looking towards the NZ game, Aus Schools will not be given the opportunities to attack so freely as they did against Tonga, and the game will in no doubt be physical and tight for the full 70 minutes.

This is where players such as 6 Dempsey will prove most valuable to the Oz team because for those who were at the National Champs saw, he's a big game player with aggressive ball carrying and defence and will no doubt take NZ head on. Also 10 Mcintyre's superb vision and kicking game will be crucial for a repeat win over NZ.

All in all, the Tonga game was great to watch but I wouldn't go signing kids futures on that one performance yet.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I notice no mention of 11, 14 or 10 in your report Lee? Interested to know your thoughts, especially after the speculation of who would be playing in the back line.

My remarks about the players weren't meant to be comprehensive.

There was nothing about McIntrye's play that I haven't said before as a 10. In the NSW trials or as a 15. in the Oz tournament. He played both positions last night and was content to facilitate other people. It was the kind of game that you wanted the 10. to dish the ball out.

The ball did not go to 11. Kellaway's wing a lot and I couldn't remember anything he did. 14. Robinson was played out of position and didn't shine and dropped the ball once after Placid and Foketi had done so much good work in the move. Both he and Kellaway got knocks.

I think that the starting back line last night was good enough to play against the Kiwis at the end of the upcoming tour except that Jones should replace Robinson. I'm not sure who is the better of the two scrummies though.

It would be a well balanced backline with the brilliance of 15. Placid, 14. Jones and 13. Foketi and the mature play of 10. McIntrye and 12. Stewart, with 11. Kellaway having a bit of both. There is a bit of rugby to be played before then and no doubt injuries will rear their ugly heads and we will be twisting the Rubik cube again.

I have more concerns about the forwards as they lack a couple of big ball runners and piano shifters. Their tallest timber is not from thick trees but saplings. Their intent and aggression in the physical battles last night could not be faulted, but they may lack some weight at impact in the land of the long black cloud.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Looking towards the NZ game, Aus Schools will not be given the opportunities to attack so freely as they did against Tonga, and the game will in no doubt be physical and tight for the full 70 minutes.

Exactly; it was always so.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)

I've never met anyone (outside Fiji) who gives two-thirds of a bugger about Sevens. It hasn't been a reliable feeder of good players into the 15-man game. It exists for Pay TV. I watch it every now and then, but can't say I remember anything at all about anything I've seen.

But it annoys me because we keep hearing about how Australian Rugby needs a "third tier" and the Shute Shield isn't good enough. Well, the Shute Shield would be better if a guy like Jacob Taylor were going round for Sydney University (or someone) every Saturday instead of playing against Kenya in the Plate semi-final in Abu Dhabi or wherever. Sevens strikes me as pretty much a waste of time.

But that's just me. Happy to be corrected by all those Sevens lovers out there. And yes, I do remember that (arguably) it was Sevens that gave Jim Williams a pathway into representative Rugby. Been a while since then, though, hasn't it?

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... Newbie suggested recently that Kellaway might make an early transition into the Australian 7's team - I think that H Jones will be there about the same time if not even earlier.

Given that sevens is a game based more on attack rather than defence, I would generally be inclined to agree with you, especially given the lad is 'red hot' when it comes going forward fast! Nevertheless we must not discount that the coach Michael O'Connor (the el supremo of 'Dual Coders') who i beleive is still at the helm (and will be for a time to come) is somewhat of a stickler for defence! Especially one on one defence where it is so prevalent in the sevens game.

Given this position I don't believe young Jones will cut the mustard anytime soon. IMO his defence still needs work! I know others will state that the defence of HJ is sound, and like all in here, they are entitled to their opinion. But I have seen HJ in games where he has been caught wanting!

I can still vividly recall one instance last year when a rampaging SG Ball winger by the name of Robert Taufa ran at HJ during the NSW Regional tournament (U/16 MNZ v Barbarians) and with only HJ between him and the try line, Taufa ran over HJ in a fashion that very much alike to what Jonah Lomu did to Mike Catt in the NZ v England RWC Semi in 1995. Taufa haunted him all game to be honest!

Like anyone else I'm up for being converted to your way of thinking CTPE, but I am a 'seeing is believing' type and i have not seen HJ really tested ('emphasis added') thus far in 2012; nothing that has changed my earlier opinion!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Haven't seen too many defensive blunders myself but you have seen him more than I have. Maybe that's why Kings are playing him on the wing.

Lots of time for Harry though - he's only 16.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It hasn't been a reliable feeder of good players into the 15-man game. ?

I don't think that anybody has said that it has been. However it can get school leavers on a big stage early, yet it is not full time and they can still play for their clubs to get the XV man stuff.

But if they get a Super or EPS contract they have to move on.

Like schools rugby it it just another level of rugby to watch and people like to talk about it on rugby forums.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
And yes, I do remember that (arguably) it was Sevens that gave Jim Williams a pathway into representative Rugby. Been a while since then, though, hasn't it?

Nick Phipps played Oz 7's before Dingo drafted him into the Wallabies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have more concerns about the forwards as they lack a couple of big ball runners and piano shifters. Their tallest timber is not from thick trees but saplings. Their intent and aggression in the physical battles last night could not be faulted, but they may lack some weight at impact in the land of the long black cloud.

You've indicated that of the props Pleash played very well and I note that Moli scored 2 tries - how did the other two go work rate wise?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Haven't seen too many defensive blunders myself but you have seen him more than I have. Maybe that's why Kings are playing him on the wing.

Lots of time for Harry though - he's only 16.

I've always known him to put his body on the line and for a 16 year old winger he's got a pretty fair physique - 92 kgs as posted by LG earlier. I think you'll find that he's playing on the wing at Kings as Jack Tourish is ahead of him at fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.