• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I've just noticed that there are several changes to the Oz A Schools team now on the ASRU website that differ from the team selected.

Some changes have already been discussed but others are new to me.

Some must have failed a medical after the tournament, because the report is dated 9th July - though it is possible that they changed the names without changing the date. Must have, come to think of it, because some withdrawals were recent.

Anyway:

Out: 9. Joey Lussick — In: Mitchell Douch (St. Edmunds)
Out: 10/15. Adrian Delore — In: Patolo Toeta (Melbourne Grammar)
Out - 10. Carlin Anderson — In: Jack Clancy (Shore)
Out: 13. Landon Hayes — In: 14. Campbell Magnay(Nudgee)
Out: 15. James Todd — In: Josh Bowen-Bowyer (BBC)

I've have paired them up, though obviously some of these players are not direct swaps.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Not to your point: but having seen all four players at the Oz Champs, Oz Schools would be well served whichever two are chosen to start.
Lee, What's the Rules, can boys still be picked to make the Australian Team, if they haven't been selected for any Aust. Team, if there are Injuries or Players Not Performing, or is that it ? Cheers

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Replacements for the domestic games are only for injuries or if they otherwise withdraw, as in the case of Lussick.

They don't get dropped out of the domestic squads on form though every now and then there is a transfer of a few players between the main team and the A team after each have had one game of two—if I remember right.

Anybody—please let me know if any of the players mentioned above as replaced are not injured or otherwise did not withdraw.

I spoke to this matter at length a few pages back when Buster asked a question.

As I said: the typical case was when star players missed the Oz tournament because they were crocked and couldn't be picked, but were fit later on.

They would move into a team if there was a withdrawal, but otherwise had to miss out.

But all these replacements in the Oz A team this year aren't in that category because all of them except the Victorian lad played in the Oz tournament.

That's quite a few replacements in the A team—and there are none in the main team.

As I mentioned in the earlier replies: as they do in any tour year, they will have a fresh selection of 28 players for the EOYT, after the domestic games against Fiji and NZ are completed.

That is when players who are off-form get replaced and when players who did not get into either of the Oz Schools teams for the domestic matches can come in from the outside, whether they were injured before, or not.

Bill McLean (32)
New Zealand Schoolboys

Leni Apisai Wellington College Front row Wellington U/18

Thomas Hill Nelson College Front row Nelson Bay U/18

Atu Moli Marlborough Boys College Front row Marlborough U/18

Reuben O'Neill New Plymouth BHS Front row Taranaki U/18

Liam Smart St Bede’s College Front row Canterbury U/18

Mike Tamoaieta Sacred Heart College Front row Auckland U/18

Samuel Chongkit Hamilton BHS Lock

Joshua Goodhue Mt Albert Grammar School Lock Auckland U/18

Jamie Lane Sacred Heart College Lock Auckland U/18

Blake Gibson St Kentigern College Loose forward

Akira Ioane Auckland Grammar School Loose forward Auckland U/18

Mitchell Jacobson Cambridge High School Loose forward Canterbury U/18

Mitchell Karpik Kings College Loose forward Auckland U/18

Dillon Wihongi St Kentigern College Loose forward

Harrison Levien Hamilton BHS Halfback Waikato U/18

Harry Peeters Christ’s College Halfback Canterbury U/18

Bryn Gatland Hamilton BHS First five-eighth Waikato U/18

Damian McKenzie Christ’s College First five-eighth Canterbury U/18

George Taina Tangaroa College First five-eighth Auckland U/18

Johnathan Fa'auli St Kentigern College Midfield Auckland U/18

TJ Faiane St Kentigern College Midfield Auckland U/18

Wesley Goosen Wellington College Midfield Wellington U/18

Nathaniel Apa Kelston BHS Outside back Auckland U/18

Sam McNicol Napier BHS Outside back Hawkes Bay U/18

Gavin Stark Blue Mountain Outside back Otago U/18

Isaac Te Tamaki Hamilton BHS Outside back Waikato U/18

Players to Watch

Levien (scrum-half): regarded as having the best pass in New Zealand schoolboy rugby, which has regularly bought extra-time for his Hamilton BHS backline. Definitely knows how to cut loose on the football field.

Gatland (fly half): the son of Lions coach Warren Gatland who is very adept at taking the ball to line or playing good percentage rugby. He was voted ‘man of the match’ in Hamilton BHS’s victory over the famous St Kentigern’s (of Auckland) in the New Zealand schoolboy rugby championship last weekend. I expect him and Levian to be the halves pairing however Gatland will have McKenzie (who is considered a hot property as far as several ITM Cup are concerned) on his heels so it won't be all smooth sailing!

Chongkit (Lock): this lad is Fijian by birth and stands at a massive 197 cm. His athleticism and workrate is absolutely outstanding. As you would expect he is also very dominant at the lineout.

Ioane (No 8): this Auckland Grammar lad is very strong in the loose. Like Chongkit, Ioane has a very high work rate. He is actually a very good sevens player, however some question his defence at times.

O'Neill (Prop): you might recall that this lad was in last year's New Zealand schoolboys team. A tough boy from the Taranaki province who comes with a high work rate.

Apa (Centre/Wing): a strong and very speedy centre who knows his way to the try line. He is also an excellent sevens player who will probably represent All Black Sevens in the near future. I expect that he TJ Faiane will probably be the centre pairing.

Te Tamaki (Wing): like Apa he too is another strong and speedy back who knows how to sniff out a try or two.

McNicol (Full-Back): this Hawkes Bay U/18 representative was also recently selected in the Hurricane’s U/18 team which convincingly dispatched their Chief’s U/18 counterparts. As a result he elected to sign a two-year contract with Wellington. This lad can run, and fast!

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
I've just noticed that there are several changes to the Oz A Schools team now on the ASRU website that differ from the team selected.

Some changes have already been discussed but others are new to me.

Some must have failed a medical after the tournament, because the report is dated 9th July - though it is possible that they changed the names without changing the date. Must have, come to think of it, because some withdrawals were recent.

Anyway:

Out: 9. Joey Lussick — In: Mitchell Douch (St. Edmunds)
Out: 10/15. Adrian Delore — In: Patolo Toeta (Melbourne Grammar)
Out - 10. Carlin Anderson — In: Jack Clancy (Shore)
Out: 13. Landon Hayes — In: 14. Campbell Magnay(Nudgee)
Out: 15. James Todd — In: Josh Bowen-Bowyer (BBC)

I've have paired them up, though obviously some of these players are not direct swaps.
Do they drop people from the squad for bad form? Because it seems odd that 3 Ipswich Grammar players are no longer in the teams after their school team had a bad season. Or are all three just injured by coincidence?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Maybe some Ippies' folks can advise if they are injured or otherwise withdrew.

Could they be connected to one of the RL clubs?

Anybody?

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Maybe some Ippies' folks can advise if they are injured or otherwise withdrew.

Could they be connected to one of the RL clubs?

Anybody?
Lee, Does the RL Clubs have a say If boys get picked ?? Surely Not as Its still Connected with School.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They would have zero authority in who got picked but you could see a case where a lad like Lussick, who was chosen in the Oz Schools Twos for union, and got picked for the Oz Schools Ones in league, that he should put his eggs in the league basket.

He was committed to them anyway but would have known that they would want him to get on their schedule for 2014 as early as possible and not run the risk of being injured on the rugby union EOYT.

Since he is only the third ranked scrumhalf in schools union, there is no certainty that he would get picked for the Schools union tour anyway, as they take only two on the trip.

And why not get in Parramatta's good books early?

That's why I asked the league question.

Bill McLean (32)
Gentleman,

IMHO I believe we're going to see one of the best backline match-ups in a long while as far as the New Zealand v Australia game is concerned.

If my predictions manifest correctly the centre pairing competition alone will be absolutely awesome! On the New Zealand side of the fence I am expecting to see both Apa and Faiane, who are both explosive and exciting players! Facing them I expect will be New's Moeroa and Milne who will be more than equal to the task.

The battle of the fullbacks will be another much anticipated contest; Kellaway v McNicol!

I truly hope Australia's piggies can lay a strong enough platform from which the backs can capitalise. As all in this forum are acutely aware, the world's best backline does not count for squat unless they have a decent forward pack actually going forward!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Will the NZ v Aust "test" be on Foxtel for those who can't get to Knox?

Sounds like we are going into this as the underdogs if Newbie s intelligence report is accurate.

Bill McLean (32)
Will the NZ v Aust "test" be on Foxtel for those who can't get to Knox?

Sounds like we are going into this as the underdogs if Newbie s intelligence report is accurate.

HJ I honestly believe we have a way better backline, however I do have concerns about our forwards being able to match it with the NZ lads! I hope I'm wrong but my intel from over the ditch is that the key protagonists don't want an Australian three-pete in 2013 and therefore they have selected at big and mobile pack!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Are you going off reports from your snouts Newbie, or have you seen some of the young Darkness lads in the flesh?

The televise the main Schoolboy games over there, but these are not shown on Foxtel over here for fairly obvious reasons? Are those games shown on Youtube or something?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's uncertain who will be chosen in the Oz Ones starting team, but as I have said earlier, the NSW Is backline was one of the best I have seen from the state.

I'm being conservative: it is probably the best. I would not be surprised if 6 of the 7 are from NSW. If I'm wrong, all the better for Oz, because they would be displacing a fine player.

The forwards are not so stellar, and Newbie hits the nail of the head: the forwards have to advance forward.

The props are very good and the backrow are workhorses but not bruisers. The second row is not strong.

Mind you, I've made similar comments about the forwards in the past two years and we won.

Hopefully the collective effect of the forwards will come through so that the backs can get good ball, and have their share of it too.

I'm thinking that the Twos are not a great reserve team, especially as they have had a few withdrawals. I'm picking that their game against the Blacks will not be pretty.

Bill McLean (32)
^^^ Are you going off reports from your snouts Newbie, or have you seen some of the young Darkness lads in the flesh?

The televise the main Schoolboy games over there, but these are not shown on Foxtel over here for fairly obvious reasons? Are those games shown on Youtube or something?

Have seen various DVD games of some of these NZ lads mate! The better half has quite an extensive family over in 'Eastern Australian Islands'!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
These games are played under the Under 19 Laws, presumably the Australian variant that has Scrums moving <1.5 metres, no crotch binding etc.

Will the scrum engagement sequence be under Crouch, Touch, Set; Crouch, Touch, Pause, Engage; or Crouch, Bind, Set, Yes 9?

Bill McLean (32)

What a profound piece of journalism! It emphatically strikes at the very heart of the problem!

What I liked most about the piece was the neglect of our junior pathways in the last five years; because Moeroa and Milne are only the one's we are losing this year, what about the other unmentioned losses from the past 5 years?

For example I was watching the Broncos v Bulldogs game in Holden cup several weeks ago and saw no less than three ex-State rugby reps playing; Paia'aua (QLD I/2011), Palau (QLD I/2011), Morgan (NSWSRU/2011). I know LG, myself and many notable others had big wraps on Paia'aua back then!

Good to see the ARU is no longer going to leave it just to schools!

Bill McLean (32)
Anyway what is done, is done!

Anyone going to dare run the 'Bula Bula Guantlet' on Friday night to watch the Fiji v NZ game?

I honestly expect it to be an absolute one sided schalacking, however I could be wrong given the support the 'Bula Boys' will attract! If the past is anything to go by it will be akin to a home game for them. And they always play well with strong (psychotic-in a nice way) support!

The 'Haka' challenge will be awesome I expect!

Status
Not open for further replies.