• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsier Le Drop

Frank Row (1)
IMG_4693.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4650.JPG
    IMG_4650.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 415

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My thoughts on Day 1
The swirling wind was a cold as a kiss from the Mother In Law, and during the stronger periods it gave the lineout throwers and kickers some grief.

Oval was well presented by the Riverview ground staff.

Referees and AR’s worked well together to manage the games professionally.

NSW II: Forwards OK, backs had some dropsies and looked a little flat and nervous. Breakdown and counter ruck work very good. Lots of opportunities missed with poor passes or catches, or poor options taken. Coaches will not be happy. They will not beat Qld I if they don’t improve their accuracy and concentration significantly.

ACT: Never gave up. Try in final movement of both halves. Combinations seemed more comfortable and composed. Gave up too many breakdown penalties. #10 is very talented footballer. #11 fast and direct runner.

CS: Some players seemed different to those in the programme. Need to work on combinations. Will be better for this hit out. We haven’t seen the best of this team yet.

QLD II. Able to build pressure but struggled to land the killer blow. Looked rusty and a little unfit. Coaches will not be happy with overall performance. They will improve as the tournament progresses. Can’t see them beating NSW I. #9, #10 impressive.

WA. Lacking height in piggies. Generally played “young”. #4 did a tonne of work. #10 skilled with potential. #15 courageous. Were never going to beat Qld I but gave them a damn good workout. Unable to keep up with pace and retain structure for extended periods. Will be handful for NSW II and ACT.

Qld I. Classy, but rusty. Impressive set piece work. Seemed to be in cruise control. Fatties excellent. #8 wrecking ball. Backs kept their powder dry but showed glimpses of power and speed - #12 dangerous runner. #11 and #15 lethal if given any space. Plenty of height in piggies, but upper body strength questionable in the giraffes. Should comfortably top Pool B.

Vic. Never given a real chance until well after oranges. Players and coach won’t be happy. Need more composure on defence, or this will not be a happy tournament for them. #7, #5, #10 played well in well beaten team.

NSW I. Good balance between backs and forwards. #6 had an off day. Lineout could be better. Need to find better goal kicking options if they want to win on Thursday and Saturday. Experienced players stood up. Should comfortably top Pool A.

James Day

Stan Wickham (3)
My thoughts on Day 1

NSW I. Good balance between backs and forwards. #6 had an off day. Lineout could be better. Need to find better goal kicking options if they want to win on Thursday and Saturday. Experienced players stood up. Should comfortably top Pool A.

Not the only one to have commented on the 10's kicking. I think he doesnt kick for his school side, and looking at that backline I dont think they have a recognised kicker. Would selectors look at this? Or is goal kicking or penalties at schoolboy level not considered enough to push someone over the line when comparing individuals? Good on him for stepping up though in what was apparently some trying conditions

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not the only one to have commented on the 10's kicking. I think he doesnt kick for his school side, and looking at that backline I dont think they have a recognised kicker. Would selectors look at this? Or is goal kicking or penalties at schoolboy level not considered enough to push someone over the line when comparing individuals? Good on him for stepping up though in what was apparently some trying conditions

9 Goddard and 22 Smerdon are very accomplished goal kickers on the NSW 1 Roster. Seemed funny that one wasn't on the field when the meat harvest was on.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)

O'Shea isn't a goal kicker but had to step up with Goddard on the bench

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
I am sure I have see Lough kick, but I am not sure if he would claim to be a regular kicker either
and contrary to JD's assertion you don't have to be wearing a number between 9 and 15 to kick for goal

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Woodrat, I think Lough Jnr was an entrant in the NSW I Place Kicking lottery yesterday. 6th try. Attempt was into the teeth of the breeze from out wide on the left flank, tough kick.

OR do you mean that Lough Snr, the #8 from NSW II, can kick.

You are right that goal kicking is not an activity that only princesses can enjoy - John Eales anyone.

Also the leading goal kicker in Sydney Colts 1 this year is a Prop from Parramatta (Benton), with a second rower from Southern Districts (Weeks) not too far behind him.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Can anyone provide a match report from the ACT game yesterday, or at least let us know which players stood out?

the mexican

Bob McCowan (2)
This is great ....was hoping to read about the games in Div II.
Will just have to wait and see if any reports come through.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
[snip]
NSW I. Good balance between backs and forwards. #6 had an off day. [snip]

Hugh, he sure did have an off day. An ambo took young Walker (ISA / St Augustines) off after the match, and I just heard confirmation he has a broken ankle/leg, so a replacement has been brought into camp for the bench. Not sure who that is. Such as shame, ashe was very good for ISA and I was looking forward to seeing him perform in some more competitive games later this week... Commiserations to John, his family and supporters.

As someone said earlier in one of these forums, it's just a lottery and every player is at the whim of the selectors and the injury hobgoblin.

Status
Not open for further replies.