• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
asru-crest-logo.png

An exciting year beckons for the Class of 2017.

There is the quadrennial trip to the Northern Hemisphere, as well as inbound tours by NZL and Fiji, and that is enough to get people talking and posting already.

This is what we know so far:

ASRU Championships are scheduled for 2 July - 8 July 2017 and will once again be held at St Ignatius' College, (Riverview) in Sydney.

Division I teams assemble on 2 July and depart after the Australian Schools Teams (looks like there will be an Australian Schools Barbarians Team announced this year) are announced on Saturday 8 July.

Division II teams will assemble on 3 July, departing on 7 July.

Combined States team will be announced at 8pm on Monday 26 June, and the players will go into camp at St Ignatius' College, Riverview on 29 June.

Test Matches and Tours
The inbound Tourists will be NZL Schools, Fiji Schools and there will be a tour to Ireland and the UK for the Australian Schoolboys.

2017 Inbound Tour dates
21 September - Fiji Schools vs TBA - Sydney
25 September - Fiji Schools vs TBA - Sydney
28 September - Fiji Schools v NZL Schools - Sydney
2 October - Fiji Schools v Australian Schools - Sydney
2 October - NZL Schools v Australian Schools Barbarians - Sydney
7 October - NZL Schools v Australian Schools - Sydney

And the Big One
Nov/Dec 2017: Australian Schools Tour of Ireland & UK – tbc
Start saving your pennies now.

Australian Schools Luncheon 2017

The ASRU Foundation Luncheon (in conjunction with Classic Wallabies) is planned for 31 March 2017. It is usually from 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm and at the 4 Seasons Hotel in Sydney. A Table of 10 will probably cost $1650, or $170 for individual entry. Interested? contact Andrew Elliot through the Aust Schools Rugby web page..
See this page for contact details for Andrew.
http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/event/asru-foundation-luncheon-3/?instance_id=136

Lunch-2-e1454639861207-300x277.jpg

Consider joining as an Associate Member to help crowd fund ASRU:
i. Individual Membership $100 per year
ii. Student Membership $50 per year for Full time Students
iii. Club / School Membership $500 per year
iv. Corporate Membership $1,000 per year
More detail: http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/associate-members-2015/

Keep an eye on the new ASRU website for more news and updates.

http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
A few names that should be in the mix 2017

1 Edwards
2 Lonergan
3 Breen
4 Wilson
5 Frost
7 Rourke

9 Vuta
12 Harrison
13 Riley
14 Petalia

The CAS people rate Coghill who has played prop for 3 years would be in the mix for a front row spot

A few blanks if anyone cares to put forward some names,

rollin_maul

Peter Burge (5)

1 Edwards
2 Lonergan
3 Breen
4 Wilson
5 Frost
7 Rourke

9 Vuta
12 Harrison
13 Riley
14 Petalia

The CAS people rate Coghill who has played prop for 3 years would be in the mix for a front row spot

To make schoolboys / Baa Baas?

@TheKing (over in QLD GPS Rugby 2017 post #39) says he'd be surprised if Wilson stays at lock in 2017.

Switch to 6 maybe. Would free up space at lock for Hosea, also from QLD perhaps.

King also lists other players in his predicted 2017 QLD GPS team of the year who sound like they could be in the mix. Bullemor in particular sounds promising.

Of the players I am familiar with, manly NSW GPS, I reckon Dom Easy, Liam Jansen Jake Styles and Billy Smith could make it to at least NSW team.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

@TheKing (over in QLD GPS Rugby 2017 post #39) says he'd be surprised if Wilson stays at lock in 2017. Switch to 6 maybe. Would free up space at lock for Hosea, also from QLD perhaps.

King also lists other players in his predicted 2017 QLD GPS team of the year who sound like they could be in the mix. Bullemor in particular sounds promising.

Of the players I am familiar with, manly NSW GPS, I reckon Dom Easy, Liam Jansen Jake Styles and Billy Smith could make it to at least NSW team.
Wilson will find alot more competition for 6,7 & 8. He has already made it as a lock, I would suggest he stays there if he wants to go on tour.

I am looking for who might fill key positions of 8, 10 & 15

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)

@TheKing (over in QLD GPS Rugby 2017 post #39) says he'd be surprised if Wilson stays at lock in 2017. Switch to 6 maybe. Would free up space at lock for Hosea, also from QLD perhaps.

I'd also keep an eye on Harry Turner (NSW CHS). Was good last year as a year younger #7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)

1 Edwards
2 Lonergan
3 Breen
4 Wilson
5 Frost
7 Rourke

9 Vuta
12 Harrison
13 Riley
14 Petalia

Are you able to repost with school next to name.... Just so we can be sure who we nominating.

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)

1 Edwards
2 Lonergan
3 Breen
4 Wilson
5 Frost
6 Rourke
7 Turner

9 Vuta
12 Harrison
13 Riley
14 Petalia

Changed Rourke to 6
H. Turner to 7 IMO

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is #14 Petalia (wrong spelling) Jordan Petaia from BSHS in Qld gps? Talk he may switch to centre or fullback.

Yep thats him. Apparently a talent and should be in the mix for the highest rep honours regardless of position.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He is not the first child to be spruiked on GAGR by a parent, family member, current or former coach, school friend, associate or player manager. Will not be the last one.

The Rugby Commentariat generally have well tuned BS radars and can typically filter out hype from substance with little trouble.

Any Selector who may cruise across GAGR threads from time to time, clearly looking for selection guidance and inspiration, would have to select about 200 players for each squad based on Keyboard Warrior Selections.

Pretty sure that "number of times mentioned in GAGR Forums" is not a criteria used by Selectors.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's not very cool to discuss U18 players in this much depth guys.

Believe it or not, more people perv on this forum then post, and it's also googleable.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some rather unnecessarily long posts have been deleted.

Summary:
Harry Turner from Epping BHS (Y12 2017) will be playing Colts Rugby for Eastwood this year, like many in the CHS, AICES, and CCC system.

Some people think Harry has a good chance of making Schoolboys, and want others to know that he was good enough to make the final extended squad for the National U18 Sevens but he is not going to be there due to personal reasons.

Lets leave the discussion there. His performances for Eastwoood, and in the 2017 State and National Schoolboy Trials next year will speak for themselves. We do not need week by week updates on his or his teams progress here, or in the Sydney Colts 2017 thread.

This goers for the athlete in question, and all other children that a parent, sibling, relative, or associate may want to spruik on these forums.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
EXciting times for Australian Schoolboys rugby. As it is every 4 yrs, Australian schoolboys rugby team has a huge itinerary planned for 2017. The usual factory outlets to produce the bulk of the team would again be NSW and Qld, with ACT & Vic closing the gap nicely. I have been out to watch the REDS U/18's development training and I have noticed quite a change to some of the boys physique(bulkier and taller). Anyone else with any updates on names and likely dark horses to be considered in the frame for possible selection?
My current pick of the qld group would include the following:
  1. Wilson
  2. Alo-Emile
  3. Hosea
  4. Petaia
  5. Small

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
EXciting times for Australian Schoolboys rugby. As it is every 4 yrs, Australian schoolboys rugby team has a huge itinerary planned for 2017. The usual factory outlets to produce the bulk of the team would again be NSW and Qld, with ACT & Vic closing the gap nicely. I have been out to watch the REDS U/18's development training and I have noticed quite a change to some of the boys physique(bulkier and taller). Anyone else with any updates on names and likely dark horses to be considered in the frame for possible selection?
  1. Wilson
  2. Alo-Emile
  3. Hosea
  4. Petaia
  5. Small
He's a Vic boy and he's already signed to be back here in 2018. His brother captained the 2016 Rebels U20s.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
  1. Wilson
  2. Alo-Emile
  3. Hosea
  4. Petaia
  5. Small
Can you put positions against the names.

Surely Vuta is red hot favourite for 9, being incumbent

Status
Not open for further replies.