• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Did you happen to see the. U20 Rebels on the weekend?

If you are in Bne, Rebels 20's play the REDs 20's at Brothers rugby club this saturday. Interesting to see some familiar faces from last years school boys, at REDs training under the watchful eye of coaches and brilliant mentors : Brad Thorn and Paul Corrozza. Pathway seems to be flourishing and healthy here.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not sure where to post this. This thread seems as good a place as any. 1977 Aust Schoolboys reunion.

See attached flyer.:)

Attachments

• 1977 reunion.docx
    983.6 KB · Views: 436

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Quite extraordinary to see Matraville High had 5 players selected in Australian Schoolboys that year. With the Ellas and the depth of talent, that must have been a special squad. A coaches dream!

Unsurprisingly Matraville also won the Waratah Shield that year.

NSW II beat NSW I in the final at the National Championships that year as well!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Quite extraordinary to see Matraville High had 5 players selected in Australian Schoolboys that year. With the Ellas and the depth of talent, that must have been a special squad. A coaches dream!

Unsurprisingly Matraville also won the Waratah Shield that year.

NSW II beat NSW I in the final at the National Championships that year as well!

Geoff Mould was their coach Matraville High and I think, somehow, he kept them in Union: http://themostinterestingpersoniknow.net/profiles/2012/8/21/geoff-mould.html

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I saw Hawker play that year for Shore at 10 (IIRC he played 12 for Aus Schools) and he was sublime - later when he played 12 for the wobblies (and deservedly earned the nick name Lord Hawker) he demonstrated his defensive capability - with he and O'Connor playing a highly compressed defence which, you guessed it, concentrated on the inside shoulder.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I saw Hawker play that year for Shore at 10 (IIRC he played 12 for Aus Schools) and he was sublime - later when he played 12 for the wobblies (and deservedly earned the nick name Lord Hawker) he demonstrated his defensive capability - with he and O'Connor playing a highly compressed defence which, you guessed it, concentrated on the inside shoulder.

No doubt on the back of the slick service from BP at half.;)

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Undefeated over 16 matches, 553 points for to 97 points against, scoring 110 tries to 6

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
A 16 (or 17 according to the article on Geoff) match tour across Europe and Asia must have been a costly and complex logistical exercise. Did the ARU kick the can back then or was it all parent funded like today? Presumably didn't leave a whole lot of time for the HSC either.

Status
Not open for further replies.