• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

SOLE334
Is there really no $$ from other ASRU sponsors to let these boys have a decent schoolboys rugby experience??
Perhaps it is why its been played in Riverview(Sydney) and a reason for so many NSW boys getting picked :) (a controversial but its just a joke fullas).

The ARU are in a well documented mess, so no great surprise.

and ''fullas'' ?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
SLV you're saying all the games are in Sydney (possibly one in the country)?

Not a great year to be chosen for Aus Schoolboys teams if you're NSW based..!

Last year the Aus team travelled to Apia, Samoa and NZ (!!) and in 2015 the tournament was in Sunnybank, Brisbane.

This year the Sydney-based players, of who, there are more than a few as has been pointed out ad nauseam, get to stay home and travel all the way to Riverview...again
Shane, really?

It's not about the scenery.

It's a great honour no matter where the tournament is. Usually the home team has an advantage. Let's hope so this year.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
SOLE334
Is there really no $$ from other ASRU sponsors to let these boys have a decent schoolboys rugby experience??
Perhaps it is why its been played in Riverview(Sydney) and a reason for so many NSW boys getting picked :) (a controversial but its just a joke fullas).

The ARU are in a well documented mess, so no great surprise.
I was asking about the ASRU and their schoolboys sponsors outside of the ARU.Maybe the ARU do sponsor the bulk of these international tours?
and ''fullas'' ?
"fullas" ? Whats your ?slv? Is it content, context, grammar, genda related. . help me help you make sense of your question buddy :) .

BrumbyJacksMate

Peter Burge (5)
I'm not confident the remaining players will come from players who played in this tournament. This may upset a lot of parents & players but the standard was a huge drop from last year.

My thinking they need a centre & lock with size, also another outside back/fullback. Tritian & Sterling from Combined States would have to be a chance but my thinking the selectors are looking for size in all these positions.

NSW was the only state to pick players with size and who would fit the mould required to take on NZ Schools. Their size has been rewarded. No doubt the Tahs will be happy unlike the other franchises who are left asking what their 20's will look like in 2 years.

The winning team was the lightest team which doesn't help selectors or in fact rugby moving forward. They had the smallest backs and probably why they hardly seen the ball. Although they had some size in their front row it was evident beyond that they picked all backrowers and no genuine locks. Even their lock that got picked will be too small against NZ and better suited at 6 or 8.

I'm positive our rugby franchises are not building or developing hybrid players for the future. So I'm predicting the selectors need to do some searching for players outside of this tournament if they want to compete against NZ.

Pats a very successful coach but he has his work cut out for him with this small crop. The States & ACT haven't done him any favours with picking smaller players. Having said that he is a smart operator & coach, I'm confident he will have players already in mind..

No matter who is selected, we should all get behind them & support them.

But you don't need to be super tall or super big to win games (it helps), but the ACT just proved smart rugby wins. Their lineouts were brilliant against taller teams, they even won a significant amount of ball. Their smaller backs shreaded larger back lines.

JuanBarn

Herbert Moran (7)
Same is happening with the Sydney U14s. They don't have the boys long enough to form a coordinated Team and get those unspoken combinations happening, so size is the easiest way to overcome that. They should have the NSW u20s playing week in week out as a team in the SS somehow.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
every year at Aussie Schoolboys selection time, I have my head-scratching moment re selections

last year it was Trinity's Rasch, although I think he eventually did make the Babas

and previous year's SDW headscratchers include ... Lachlan Swinton (Knox), Guy Porter (Scots)

so my 2017 SDW headscratchers are

Waverley's Hardaker, and Scots Billy Smith

anyway what do I know :mad:

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
As we celebrate the highs and lows of another Australian Schools Rugby Championship, it will interesting to assess the fallout / impact of any injuries as we head into the next round of AAGPS, CAS etc. I know that Billy Smith, Charlie Savala (both Scots) and Johnny Connolly (Kings) were all injured during, or before the tournament. Any others?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
every year at Aussie Schoolboys selection time, I have my head-scratching moment re selections

last year it was Trinity's Rasch, although I think he eventually did make the Babas

and previous year's SDW headscratchers include . Lachlan Swinton (Knox), Guy Porter (Scots)

so my 2017 SDW headscratchers are

Waverley's Hardaker, and Scots Billy Smith

anyway what do I know :mad:
I reckon Smith is a good chance of being one of the 6 to come in if his injury is not too bad. Hardaker is arguably on the outer and he didn't have a great tournament. I'm not saying he was given every opportunity, as many others have pointed out it seems he wasn't - just that in the limited time he had, he didn't have the impact he has had all year at school level.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rasch did make Barbarians, well deserved,

Fenn was unlucky last year, and the spare 8 that went on tour got very little game time.

No one is making any suggestions for headscratching from ACT or QLD2.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Rasch did make Barbarians, well deserved,

Fenn was unlucky last year, and the spare 8 that went on tour got very little game time.

No one is making any suggestions for headscratching from ACT or QLD2.

Do you mean Michael Fenn?
He's with the Manly Sea Eagles now. Another one bites the dust

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Do you mean Michael Fenn?
He's with the Manly Sea Eagles now. Another one bites the dust

Murray Tualagi from BSHS last year now killing it for Cowboys under 20 and no he was NOT a league product.Also Brodie Croft -ACGS 2015 playing NRL for Storm.That is 2 GPS premiership players also gone.

At the Qld under14/16 rugby carnival last weekend there were several NRL scouts there.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
There are several players in the Brumbies Academy that didn't make Schoolboys.

Why i don't know but I am positive Langtry would know the players given he is with St Edmunds. Rest assure I bet there are some upset people down that way.

There are also players in the junior reds programs and ones that have been in junior waratahs programs that didn't make the team.

My advice: go back and watch the ACT vs QLD 1 game again, who was actually the better team? QLD 1 by far. Just because you won that 1 game doesn't make you have the best players. It was because you have been camp for weeks and all these other teams came together days before the games.

ACT are coming out of this process looking like spoilt babies.

Last year QLD came 5th and 6th, we had most our team in the program, again. There was no where near the same reaction.

ACT appear to have thrown all their toys out of the crib and are spreading negativity the whole way through Australian rugby forums.

I can't believe I even saw the amount of negative comments on the Australian rugby union Facebook page team announcement.

It's time to put your diaper on, stop whinging and accept the facts ahead of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.