• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Three more players per team still need to be added not counting any injuries to selected players.
There's still some hope for some.
It would have been hard to leave Pavlakis out.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
My thoughts:

Aus have gone for a very robust team of players that have a lot of talent.

It appears that NSW had some talented players, but didn't play together well after some coaching issues
I feel for the CS 15, nearly the player of the tournament!

It will be interesting to see final positions, I like the look of the backrow they will be offering with Moretti, Rorke and Connors being ridiculously good players. Very strong backrow!!

But Moretti and Rorke were outplayed by their Qld opponents 2 days in a row!
How does that work ?
I agree ACT not rewarded - you cant use poor coaching as an excuse for NSW performance .
NSW 2 were poor .

B

Backline_Move

^^^

Moretti didn't play today and only had 15 mins the other day, did his shoulder. Not sure if you saw him play the other two games?

Rorke didn't play the other day either, only today and he was NSW best forward.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
But Moretti and Rorke were outplayed by their Qld opponents 2 days in a row!
How does that work ?
I agree ACT not rewarded - you cant use poor coaching as an excuse for NSW performance .
NSW 2 were poor .

Absolute rubbish, Moretti was the best player on the field on Wed, and was only used for a short time on Friday as he had proven his point.

I suggest you go back and read similar comments, he was outstanding.

Maybe someone else would like to share their opinion.

However I do agree that there were some astonishing choices, Jiminez and Pavlakis were absolute standouts all tournament. so go figure.

I do think that several teams were actually very close,as were many games, so I assume selectors looked at what is in front of them, eg NZ, and probably decided to choose a big robust tight 5, and strong and fearless 6,7,8.

In the backs I am guessing that they have gone for more of a running side that can penetrate, starting at 5/8 eg Donaldson, as witnessed in the
QLD 1 V NSW 1 game today.
You would think that to beat NZ you will need to be able to score lots of points, a stable/structured style of play may struggle if you want to be conservative and try and grind them out. Good luck on that one.

So it appears as though there is a strategy here, in the end, results will confirm or deny.

B

Backline_Move

Pavlakis and Jimenez were definitely unlucky. But that's part and parcel of it all I think.

We should be proud of the people that have made it and get behind them all.

I remember last year a similar outcry when ACT came 5th and had 6 or 7 in the schoolboys team.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
^^^

Moretti didn't play today and only had 15 mins the other day, did his shoulder. Not sure if you saw him play the other two games?

Rorke didn't play the other day either, only today and he was NSW best forward.
oh
Oh I see picked on reputation
Thanks for the explanation

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
These ASB trials are a sham.
The best team, ACT has been short changed.
The selection of so many players from NSW 1 (4th) and NSW 2 who were just very average, is representative of everything that is wrong with rugby in this country.
The ACT and the QLD teams should have far more representation based on performance. These selections smack of the NSW boys club and total bias. The ACTRU and QRU should lodge formal complaints. How disappointing for those ACT and QLD players who have been shafted!!

B

Backline_Move

oh

No played first two games when NSW 1 won by 40 and 40 respectively.. was NSW's best player before those games. Scored some and set up some of the others.

I'm a Knox supporter and I can see that. Take off the disappointing filled glasses and watch the replays and see how good those two players are.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
oh

No very dominant on the field, I think you may have got your numbers mixed up.Let's be honest you didn't even know when they played or didn't play.

Anyway I may well agree with you on some other players but not Moretti.

B

Backline_Move

In regards to selections by state in 2016:

Schoolboys
QLD 1: 8
QLD 2: 1

NSW 1:5
NSW 2: 3

ACT: 5

Vic: 2

CS: 1

Barbarians:

QLD 1: 3
QLD 2:3

NSW 1: 2
NSW 2: 6

ACT: 2

CS: 5

Vic: 1

Total from QLD 1: 11
Total from QLD 2:4

Total from NSW 1: 7
Total from NSW 2: 9

CS: 6

ACT: 7

Vic: 3

QLD didn't make the top four but had 15 in the teams last year. ACT came lower as well and got 7.

Did you guys complain and ask for a inquiry then?

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
A player who did not have a great tournament but who was no doubt the best centre in NSW did not make either side is Brooklyn Hardacker. He is special.

Having only watched the last two games of the tournament, if either Qld1 or NSW1 played to their potential then they would have won by 20 plus points over either side in the finals.

To be honest, I think the CAS 1st XV gelled better than either of the NSW teams and would have beaten both ACT and Qld2 if they were played.

Largely due to the benefit of combinations. And that is a hard thing to bring together in a week. The CAS teams had the benefit of a full Waverly backline combination plus some hot finishers from Barker,Knox and Trinity, so when they stepped up in the CAS squad it clicked straight away.

Those combinations did not play together enough. No doubt swapping Woodcock and Donaldson constantly from fullback to 5/8th did not work.

I predicted earlier that the bulk of the squads for the schoolboys and Bar Baa sides would come from NSW1 and QLD1. Hopefully the aussie coaching staff can develop the best from the lads chosen.

Well done to all those selected. Remember there is no right answer.

WaltBrisney

Peter Burge (5)
It probably happens every year that players are either picked on reputation or there is pressure applied from certain interest groups. It is not a good look when a team wins a comp but only has two in the top side. It wouldn't matter if it was QLD, NSW, VIC, ACT or WA. If the team wins it and claims some impressive scalps on the way to doing it, you would think it would be reasonable to expect that team contains a certain amount of talent but also much needed resolve. I don't really feel any strong allegiance to any in particular state and certainly not towards ACT but its hard to fathom how they are so poorly represented in the Australian Schools side after winning it this year.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
A player who did not have a great tournament but who was no doubt the best centre in NSW did not make either side is Brooklyn Hardacker. He is special.

Having only watched the last two games of the tournament, if either Qld1 or NSW1 played to their potential then they would have won by 20 plus points over either side in the finals.

To be honest, I think the CAS 1st XV gelled better than either of the NSW teams and would have beaten both ACT and Qld2 if they were played.

Largely due to the benefit of combinations. And that is a hard thing to bring together in a week. The CAS teams had the benefit of a full Waverly backline combination plus some hot finishers from Barker,Knox and Trinity, so when they stepped up in the CAS squad it clicked straight away.

Those combinations did not play together enough. No doubt swapping Woodcock and Donaldson constantly from fullback to 5/8th did not work.

I predicted earlier that the bulk of the squads for the schoolboys and Bar Baa sides would come from NSW1 and QLD1. Hopefully the aussie coaching staff can develop the best from the lads chosen.

Well done to all those selected. Remember there is no right answer.

Agree completely Rod with your analysis, I also think that the value of combination was the reason that ACT won, and they did deserve it.

The CAS team had combination and it got changed, the effect of which was obvious.

S

sidelineview

ACT with only 2 players in the Australian schoolboys team and only 2 from QLD II. Both teams were finalist but yet NSW 1 have 10 players and came 4th, this is the problem with Australian rugby. Congrats to all the boys who participated in the comp.

It was a similar story last year but with QLD teams finishing down the order (5th and 6th I think it was) but getting 15 players selected.

S

sidelineview

Jimenez made the Barbarians team, so he wasn't left out.
i agree he should have been in the Schools team but at least he's in.
Did anyone see the big hit Pavlakis put on a NSW forward today? What can't he do?

KicknChase

Stan Wickham (3)
Jimenez made the Barbarians team, so he wasn't left out.
i agree he should have been in the Schools team but at least he's in.
Did anyone see the big hit Pavlakis put on a NSW forward today? What can't he do?

Get into a national team...

Not sure how he is not there

Edit: Rephrased sounded bad

Status
Not open for further replies.