• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian tour of SA

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Haha well I think we all can agree on the last sentence.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If he was a genuine 3, he'd have the mental strength to play there though.

I certainly don't consider Watson a genuine 3, though he is a makeshift option that is doing the job for now.

If Marsh was going to become a test quality cricket by now, 30, he would have given an indication he had the ability and consistency. He's been repeatedly persisted with and given chances that others haven't and has done nothing. He fucking averaged 2.83 last test series he played in for fucks sake. The rest of the batting line up averaged 40 for the series (India here, when we beat them 4-0).

Sure, he might "look like a cricketer and a 3. but this "look" doesn't put runs on the fucking scorecard, and neither does Shaun Marsh.

About the only thing Marsh has shown through his career, is that his returns diminish from debut.

Deep breaths, TWAS, deep breaths. Go to that happy place in your mind and repeat this mantra:

"It's only a game"

;)

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Bit off topic, I heard a soundbite that Johnson may captain the ODI team. WTF.

Smith should be brought into the ODI and T20 sides as VC & stand-in skipper to gain some experience as he is the man most likley to be the next test captain. His form in the short formats has been quite good this season, the prevalence of alrounders seems to be keeping him on the sides. Bailey has done ok at captain though so it would be tough for him to lose it. Smith is arguably his equal currently and certainly will be a better captain in the future.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Smith should be brought into the ODI and T20 sides as VC to gain some experience as he is the man most likley to be the next test captain. His form in the short formats has been quite good this season, the prevalence of alrounders seems to be keeping him on the sides.

As a Sydney Sixers fan, I think it is the correct decision that Steve Smith has been omitted from the ODI and T20 squads. :D

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Injury doubts over Marsh and Faulkner for the upcoming tour. Not sure as to the extent of Faulkner's injury but have to wonder wether his body is up to the longer form of the game after yet another injury.

As for Marsh, hope he has a quick recovery but I have a feeling there's another bloke more deserving of the plane ticket. Could be a blessing in disguise.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Faulkner has been ruled out and Moises Henriques has been called up to the squad as his replacement.

Marsh and Bird are still in doubt.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Absolutely, BH and it's always been my contention too. Over the course of our cricketing history in Australia we haven't felt the need to play a lot of all rounders unless they've been fairly exceptional players in at least one of the disciplines. It's served us pretty well I think. Look at the most recent example we have of Taylor and Waugh's team of the 1990's/2000's, no all rounders there.

That said, Henriques is a genuine batsman these days and had a huge season with the wand last year (381 runs at 77). Not so much this season, though, so the decision is a little puzzling. If the idea is to replace Faulkner's bowling (mainly) this seems an odd choice.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Coulter-Nile is ready for test cricket yet but it is quite perplexing that he was around the squad as an extra bowler/all rounder during the latter part of the Ashes series and has then been overlooked for South Africa.

Whether it is Marsh, Doolan, Henriques or perhaps even Hughes (if Marsh is forced out), someone is going to get a prime opportunity to secure a spot in the test team in this series.

T

Train Without a Station

I think the form and ability of both Harris and Johnson with the willow really limit the requirement for a genuine all rounder. Add to that Haddin's current form with the bat and you sacrificing something that the team needs most (batting ability and form) for the sake of versatility.

It's one thing to say, we've got Watson and somebody else with likely similar records (Hughes is the only player with a better FC record than him), we'll take Watto because he can chip in with the ball.

It's a complete other thing to take somebody who as previously mentioned is neither a top 6 batsman candidate on their own (more critical in our current line up), or a top 4 bowling option and make a place for him at the expense of somebody that is either.

But based on the history of selecting top 6 options who neither have the current FC form, or career stats to be worthy of the team (Doolan, Marsh, Bailey) I guess we likely don't end up losing that much.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't think Coulter-Nile is ready for test cricket yet but it is quite perplexing that he was around the squad as an extra bowler/all rounder during the latter part of the Ashes series and has then been overlooked for South Africa.

Whether it is Marsh, Doolan, Henriques or perhaps even Hughes (if Marsh is forced out), someone is going to get a prime opportunity to secure a spot in the test team in this series.

I would guess Coulter-Nile will be the replacement for Bird if he, Bird, can't make the tour. Cutting would also come under consideration, I believe.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Hmm.. Can't say I'm too phased with the selection of Henriques. The fascination with all-rounders is getting very annoying but we should just be thankful that they didn't select Glenn 'The Big No Show' Maxwell. Moises has a bit of class with the bat and although I don't rate his bowling on the same level as Faulkner, he has been consistent over the past 18 months and can score runs.

Hughes is certainly shaping up as the favourite for replacing Marsh, and rightly so. Cameron White is equally as likely given his recent form, or a failed experiment like Peter Forest, Adam Voges or Callum Ferguson wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility. If not Hughes (which would be baffling) then I wouldn't mind seeing Tom Cooper, Joe Burns or Ryan Carters.. Just please not Mitchell Marsh or Matthew Wade.

Do not rate Couter-Nile in the long form of the game either. He has been around the test set up for a while now so he's likely to get the nod if Bird can't play. There are no real standouts in the domestic scene right now so choices are limited. Cutting is either hit or miss but I'd like to see him in the one day side first. Rainbird or Abbott wouldn't be bad choices.

T

Train Without a Station

Is it Sayers who has been bowling quiet well in Shield?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Proteas look ready to rumble
Sport24
SA's walking wounded ready

2014-01-30 10:41

Cape Town - South Africa's alarming injury list has finally eased with the Proteas confident of fielding a full-strength side against Australia in the first Test starting in Centurion on February 12.
Since the home series against India, six members including captain Graeme Smith, vice-captain AB de Villiers and all three frontline bowlers, have battled with injuries but team manager Dr Mohammed Moosajee said they were winning the fitness battle.
De Villiers's hand injury was perhaps the most concerning due to his twin roles as a frontline batsman and wicketkeeper that gives the side the option of playing an extra bowler.
"AB de Villiers says he is feeling good, his left hand has healed relatively well, the physios have been working on him and they have reported he has got a full range of movement and good strength," Moosajee told reporters.
"Graeme Smith's left ankle impingement which flared up has settled over the past few days and he is hard at working on his fitness."
Pace spearhead Dale Steyn, who had a minor rib fracture, was "almost symptom-free" after four weeks' rest followed by a rehab programme over the last 10 days, Moosajee said.
"He started bowling again this week and we are confident he will be up to full intensity by next week."
Morné Morkel had fully recovered from a left ankle sprain and fellow paceman Vernon Philander was also over his lower back stiffness, the manager said.
"Faf du Plessis sustained a right shoulder rotator cuff strain, but he has responded well to the process of rehabilitation and has been playing and practising unhindered.
"I am happy to say that we have a squad that is fully fit and available for selection," Moosajee added.
The Australian Test side arrived in South Africa on Wednesday for a three-match series to be followed by three Twenty20 internationals.

Bit worried about rust and T20 preparation before the test but hopefull the Proteas will be professional enough to start with a bang. After what the ICC and India did to our cricket, only way to hit back is on the cricket pitch against the big 3 cricket countries who dont rate you.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Marsh out, Hughes in. The Aus cricket team's a bit skinny in the batting backup area, I hope and pray Lehmann's the making of Hughes.

Status
Not open for further replies.