• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia's funniest Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Can I just check why people don't like Mundine? I've known since his first loss to Ottke that he wasn't world class, and probably would never be. But I've always liked him as a person (funny, interesting) and as a boxer (superfast, elegant). People who think he is a bum are wrong - he has always been very competitive in his class, but not at the same level of Pacquiao obviously.

I don't like him cos of his trash talking. I know he thinks he needs to do it for the gate & pay tv takings, but I don't like it.
he also lost me when complaining about the fact that he did not play State of Origin due solely to racism. It had nothing to do with the fact that there was a guy called Freddie Fittler in the same position.Or the fact that Mundine tackled like Quade.He should shut the fuck up about racism, or at least racism to him personally.There are many other cases out there more deserving of media time than his perceived slights against him personally.
End of rant.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Can I just check why people don't like Mundine? I've known since his first loss to Ottke that he wasn't world class, and probably would never be. But I've always liked him as a person (funny, interesting) and as a boxer (superfast, elegant). People who think he is a bum are wrong - he has always been very competitive in his class, but not at the same level of Pacquiao obviously.

Because he is a fuckwit.

Need me to elaborate?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My issue with Mundine is that he gobs off all the time and doesn't really have a lot to back it up. If you're Muhammed Ali, you get to say what you like, because nearly everyone recognises your greatness and the respects the personal obstacles you have overcome (i.e. the draft etc). If you're Anthony Mundine, people are usually looking at you and saying: "mate, just shut up".

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I hate Anthony Mundine for the way he burrows into the brain of impressionable young sportsmen, and infects them with a disease which makes them become selfish, arrogant, money-grubbing pricks of the highest order. Sonny Bill Williams. Greg Inglis.

I hate the way he talks himself up like he is a prize fighter of the highest order, when he not only isn't good enough, but he doesn't even have the chops to TRY and make it on the big stage. Guys like Vic Darchinyan and Michael Katsidis are softly spoken and don't have nearly the profile, but have made it on the world stage because they have had a red hot go. Mundine seems comfortable fighting local clowns. Which is fine, but just keep your mouth shut champ.

I hate the way the media (read Danny Weidler) treats him, as if he is an authority qualified to comment on any scandal on any code. Especially if an aboriginal is involved.

I hate how people say he is misunderstood, or mistreated by the media. Especially after what he said on the morning of September 11. I have seen enough of the guy to understand him, its just that I think he is a fucking idiot. Sure he's talented, but he isn't even close to the top 100 talented Aussie sportsmen around. Hopefully after this KO the media start ignoring him, because he is past it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
My issue with Mundine is that he gobs off all the time and doesn't really have a lot to back it up. If you're Muhammed Ali, you get to say what you like, because nearly everyone recognises your greatness and the respects the personal obstacles you have overcome (i.e. the draft etc). If you're Anthony Mundine, people are usually looking at you and saying: "mate, just shut up".

But also Ali was profound, intelligent, politically bold. He backed his views up when it counted by going to jail. You think Mundine comes close to any of that? He isn't qualified to polish Ali's boots.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I've just been teaching "The Fight" by Norman Mailer to my sports journalism students. It's been great fun to go through it all again, watch the fight, hear the love (and hate) he inspired in others. I'm not sure about Ali's politics, though. I mean, he was a boxer, so his views were unsubtle.

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
I've met him a few times and think he is a great bloke. He doesn't get a great press because he refuses to playthe game the way the egotistical journalists want to play it. He does go over the top in some of his public statements but that is because it is the best way to get the publicity his career and causes need.
He accuses many people of being racists because he is constantly subjected to racist heckling. The first time I spoke to him, in about a five minute period we were interrupted about four or five times by yobboes driving past who let rip with the foulest of racist and sexist language at him. I honestly don't know how he puts up with it, if it were me and I had his skills I wouild have torn their ugly heads off. Good luck to him in the future.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What do you mean he 'refuses to play the game'? He is an absolute rent a quote who seems to never turn down a chance to get his name in the headlines. And its the journos who are egotistical?

He does go over the top in some of his public statements but that is because it is the best way to get the publicity his career and causes need.

It clearly isn't. The last thing his causes need is a brash, arrogant spokesperson who offends a lot of people. I admire the causes, but not they way they are spruiked by Mundine. And you can't go constantly over the top in search of publicity, and then turn around and complain when a lot of people choose to passionately dislike you. Mundine lives by the sword, and now I hope he dies by it as his career slips into the gutter.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He accuses many people of being racists because he is constantly subjected to racist heckling. The first time I spoke to him, in about a five minute period we were interrupted about four or five times by yobboes driving past who let rip with the foulest of racist and sexist language at him. I honestly don't know how he puts up with it, if it were me and I had his skills I wouild have torn their ugly heads off. Good luck to him in the future.

Obviously not condoning any racist remarks, but do you think that he would receive as much abuse if he didn't act like a total pork chop?

I don't care if he is white, black or purple. I certainly wouldn't want him pushing any cause I was involved it.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyway, on Mundine - classic case of tall poppy syndrome. People like to see somebody successful like him fail because of one character trait that doesn't fit in with mainstream successful personalities.

Anyone I have heard that know him personally speak extremely highly of him as a person. No one can accuse him of being a sore loser last night, either.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Nah, a lot of people think he carries on like a dickhead.

Yeh he does carry on like a dickhead, but so what? He is a famous boxer, what do you expect really. It's his life and quite frankly he can do what he likes, it hasn't hurt his success.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
He's free to whatever he likes, just as we're free to call him a dickhead. And laugh a bit when he gets knocked out, thus showing that he may not actually be all that.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Anyway, on Mundine - classic case of tall poppy syndrome. People like to see somebody successful like him fail because of one character trait that doesn't fit in with mainstream successful personalities.

And that one character trait is being a loudmouth fuckwit.

And all this shit about 'he's a successful boxer, what do you expect?'. Well, have a look at the conduct of other Australian boxers who have achieved far more than Mundine and said far less- Darchinyan, Tszyu, Katsidis are three names that spring to mind. They have proven you can be a successful boxer without being a massive cock.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Anyone I have heard that know him personally speak extremely highly of him as a person. No one can accuse him of being a sore loser last night, either.

Reddy,
It has got nothing to do with tall poppy syndrome.
"The man" is deliberately an obnoxious prick, who has cultivated this persona for the duration of his boxing career. There is no doubt that it has made him a very rich man. When you act like an obnoxious prick for a decade, you have to expect that people will take delight inany misfortunes you may encounter.

I do agree with you about Anthony Mundine ( as opposed to his media alter ego "the man") I also have heard from everyone that knows him personally, is that he is a very quite humble man. I hope when he retires we all learn to know this Anthony Mundine and "the man" will disappear.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Reddy,
It has got nothing to do with tall poppy syndrome.
"The man" is deliberately an obnoxious prick, who has cultivated this persona for the duration of his boxing career. There is no doubt that it has made him a very rich man. When you act like an obnoxious prick for a decade, you have to expect that people will take delight inany misfortunes you may encounter.

I do agree with you about Anthony Mundine ( as opposed to his media alter ego "the man") I also have heard from everyone that knows him personally, is that he is a very quite humble man. I hope when he retires we all learn to know this Anthony Mundine and "the man" will disappear.

Many people that are show offs are often relatively humble in a one on one discussion, however truly humble people don't act the way he does. It isn't in their blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.