• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australie – FFR. Samdi 27 Juin à Stade d’olympique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
French Reserves:

16 Guilhem Guirado, 17 Nicolas Mas, 18 Remy Martin, 19 Damien Chouly, 20 Julien Dupuy, 21 Vincent Clerc, 22 Julien Arias.

Handy

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Enjoy the wanging on, mate. I will be away from home at dinner at bro's place. Had to pass up 2 freebies in the toffs area tonight also - got the last minute offer. :angryfire:

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
It's not good form to stand up from the table and go and sit in front of the TV with a laptop?

What kind of family is that?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Solid grafting win but the Frogs made life easy for us with their poor discipline and non existent attack.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Smith was a freak again but Ouedraogo got raped by the ref.

I was disappointed by the collective Giteau and Barnes kicking game. And I think they knew it, too. Turns out there's still work to do if they aren't getting front foot ball. Pity - I thought that problem had been solved.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
good to get a win against an almost full-strength french side that has shown how tough they can be. but geez that reminded me too much of watching the tahs.... :tard :banghead a bit ugly

set piece work still needs to tighten up. too many wayward lineout throws, most by taffy but i think squeakers had at least one or two also. scrum was alright, especially after the first 15. seemed to be a lot of trouble getting everyone in position for the frogs. not sure what that was about. from what i could tell though, it seemed that if both teams could keep it up after the hit, the wallabies usually had the advantage. so i guess that's good.

kicking was off. gits/barnes wonky with the radar. several up and unders went too far beyond the chasers too, giving it right back to the frogs with some space. a better opponent would have made trouble out of those. at least georgie boy seemed to finally get those grubbers out of his system :thumb

pretty happy about the work at the breakdown. smith had several nice pilfers. robo and pocock also snagged memorable ones. i don't remember getting counter-rucked or pilfered by the french too much, so i guess the piggies were doing their job. ref was hard on ouedraogo though, i agree. aussie defense was pretty tight overall - tah like. bent a few times, but never broke and could seem to get a turnover when needed. encouraging to see. could have been a different story if beauxis didn't have a shocker.

i thought burgo was ok this game. didn't see the sniping runs and i think that took some of the life out of the attack. but it looked like the french were targeting this. i seem to remember one exchange where he passed from a ruck to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s feet, he lost forward momentum, ruck formed, and burgo was directing traffic while the frogs took the ball. frustrating moment for me, but otherwise i didn't notice too many glaring errors. he did have a nice tackle on one of the front rowers that dislodged the ball.

lack of go forward ball from the locks and backrowers was still missing i thought. backs had some good runs but something always seemed to spoil it - knock on, isolated, seagull sharp deciding not to pass to the open support runners, etc.... AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and turner were great, mitchell even did pretty well. morty seemed to be just bottled up enough to not break the line. a bit cleaner play though and several more tries could have been scored. need to do better against the kiwis and saffers.

so a bit sloppy in some areas with work to do before 3N's. but haven't lost a game yet, while getting some valuable experience for the young blokes. and on a positive note, no injuries picked up (besides hodgy). so should only be getting people back and further strengthening the squad.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
Baxter got hammered again like the bad old days.

Actually he didn't.

The French pack was backing off as Aus was getting set to muck up the Aus hit and the French LHP wasn't driving forward, he was just pivoting at the hips and allowing Baxter to collapse.

The were doing the same against the ABs.

They try to negate the hit of the bigger pack and then while they are off balance start to drive. (Wales did the same to us last November)

When there was a hit, the Aus scrum was quite good.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
fatprop said:
Spook said:
Baxter got hammered again like the bad old days.

Actually he didn't.

The French pack was backing off as Aus was getting set to muck up the Aus hit and the French LHP wasn't driving forward, he was just pivoting at the hips and allowing Baxter to collapse

When there was a hit, the Aus scrum was quite good.

Wow - I've only seen the first two scrums so far, but what you describe is what I was going to say. Baxter bludgeoned the French LHP at one scrum, and when he got penalised at the other it was because Frenchie didn't even want the hit! You can see the guy's lower back buckle and then his shoulders drop. Can't build a bridge without two ends.

R

rugbywhisperer

Has anyone seen attendance figures - it looked as though the staduim was only half full - could have been played at the Sports Ground. If Sydney can fill it then send the games to Brisbane.

WhoNeedsMelon

Frank Row (1)
rugbywhisperer said:
Has anyone seen attendance figures - it looked as though the staduim was only half full - could have been played at the Sports Ground. If Sydney can fill it then send the games to Brisbane.

About 43,000 apparently. Like most spectators, I'd prefer the games at the SFS but c'est la vie.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah its a shame these Tests are (A) held in Sydney and (B) at Homebush. I've been to a few Tests there now, and whenever its not New Zealand, the place doesn't attract the crowds. The only non-NZ Test that got a full house was Argentina for RWC2003 opener.

[edit] Of course, I meant the Wallaby Tests - and of course I include the final in that.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
We played pretty poorly and yet came away with a 22-6 win, and really never looked like losing. That is the first and major positive of the game, as we were playing a very handy French side. If it was a second-string Wales I would worry, but the Frogs topped the ABs and we were never seriously challenged by them.

Once our kicking game hits its straps the other aspects of the game will start to rectify themselves. Our backline just looked a little bit off, we made far more simple errors in this game than we have in the previous 3 combined.

If that is our one bad performance of the season (we can only hope), I am glad we got it out of the way against France, and we got away with a comfortable win.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
barbarian said:
We played pretty poorly and yet came away with a 22-6 win, and really never looked like losing. That is the first and major positive of the game, as we were playing a very handy French side. If it was a second-string Wales I would worry, but the Frogs topped the ABs and we were never seriously challenged by them.

Once our kicking game hits its straps the other aspects of the game will start to rectify themselves. Our backline just looked a little bit off, we made far more simple errors in this game than we have in the previous 3 combined.

If that is our one bad performance of the season (we can only hope), I am glad we got it out of the way against France, and we got away with a comfortable win.

I think we played pretty well against a good side.

The defended very well and attacked the ball. As such, they made it difficult for us to get any continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.