• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Baa Baas V Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whocares

does anyone know how many world class players are turning out to play against us at Wembly?
so far iv got:

Richie McCaw
Joe Rokocoko
Jerry Collins
Bryan Habana
George Gregan
and iv heard rumours of Percy Montgomery (not sure how acurate those rumours are though).
Coached by RWC winning coach Jake White

any more?
any more you'd like to see?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought I saw it was going to rather Bok heavy. Smit, Bakkies and Schalk.

I also read it proposed that Gasnier and Sonny Bill might play. But I think that same article insinuated that Bob Dwyer was coach.

W

whocares

I'd like to see some aussie and NZ guys who cant play for their country because their playing in europe/Japan.
e.g:
NZ
Mauger
Kelleher
Mcallister
Haymen
Oliver
Jack
Spencer

AUS
Latham
Gasnier
SBW
Blake
Elsom
Vickerman

may be too soon for the last 2 but something along those lines
ofcourse not just aus and nz players but also some europeans and argentinians like Corletto and Hernandez

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
giteau%2Bbaa%2Bbaa.jpg

by Moses

Gregan's long time understudy at the Brumbies, G&GRs own Luke Burgess is set to go head to head with his former master in December's London Olympic centenary match at Wembley.

In a star studded Baa Baa's lineup that has both Gregan and Fourie Du Preez I feel that Fourie may play this match at 10. The squad will be captained by Richie 'tackles' McCaw and coached by World Cup winning combination of Jake White and former Wallabies mentor cum technical analyst, Eddie 'Steady' Jones - for good measure.

In what looks to be the strongest squad to ever wear the blue and white hoops, of those announced so far the team is looking like:

1. TBA
2. John Smit (RSA)
3. Carl Hayman (NZ)
4. Steve Borthwick (Eng)
5. Bakkies Botha (RSA)
6. Jerry Collins (NZ)
7. Schalk Burger (RSA)
8. TBA

9. George Gregan
10. Fourie Du Preez (RSA)
11. Bryan Habana (RSA)
12. Jean de Villiers (RSA)
13. TBA
14. Joe Rokocoko (NZ)
15. Percy Montgomery (RSA)

Coach: Jake White
Assistant Coach: Eddie Jones.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gregan the Barbarian to battle Wallabies
Advertisement
Email
Print
Normal font
Large font
October 8, 2008 - 5:40PM
Advertisement

Former Wallabies captain George Gregan will play for the Barbarians against the Wallabies at Wembley on December 3.

The Barbarian Football Club confirmed on Wednesday Gregan will play in a match that will mark the centenary of the 1908 London Olympics where the first ever Wallabies touring squad won the Games gold medal for rugby.

Gregan, now with Suntory in Japan, is the world's most capped player with 139 Test caps and the longest-serving Australian captain with 59 internationals at the helm.

The Barbarians have also confirmed former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones will work alongside head coach Jake White with the invitational team.

"The Barbarians are putting together a powerful squad of all the talents for this very special match," White said.

"I have been impressed by the positive response from so many players worldwide and to have Eddie to assist me in the build up is definitely an added bonus."

The Barbarians side will be led by All Blacks skipper Richie McCaw and includes New Zealand stars Carl Hayman, Jerry Collins and Joe Rokocoko; South African World Cup winners John Smit, Percy Montgomery, Jean de Villiers, Bryan Habana, Bakkies Botha and Schalk Burger; and England's recent captain Steve Borthwick.

The game will be the first rugby union match to be played at the new Wembley Stadium.

W

whocares

Bring Kefu outta retirement

then give O'driscoll a call

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Shane Williams will play. Think Habana will move to 13 to make place for him on the wing. Cant see FdP playing 10.

W

whocares

mcCaw is captaining it so he'll definatly be the openside so im guessing burger will go no 8

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Noddy said:
aren't they black and white hoops? ???

Yeah, I thought so too

whocares said:
mcCaw is captaining it so he'll definatly be the openside so im guessing burger will go no 8

I hear Collins is looking a little lardy, so 8 might be better for him

W

whocares

Gagger said:
whocares said:

well thats good because blind side is burger's usual position

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Gagger said:
Noddy said:
aren't they black and white hoops? ???

Yeah, I thought so too

whocares said:

I saw him on Tele talking to SBW with his shirt off about 3 weeks ago and there was no lard.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I obviously hadn't been paying enough attention to topless players ;)

Would still have Burger at 6 in that mix

W

whocares

so this is what we've come up with

1. ???
2. Smit
3. Hayman
4. Borthwick
5. Botha
6. Burger
7. McCaw
8. Collins

9. Gregan
10. Du Preez (???)
11. Rokocoko
12. De Villiers
13. Habana
14. Williams
15. Montgomery

Still need a prop and probably a 10 because i dont think they'll put Du Preez in there.

Isn't Van der Lind hanging around Europe somewhere?
And Nick Evans too??
Maybe too much of a SANZAR influence though...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
CJ vd Linde should be up there somewhere??? Can't prop for shit but will look good playing Baabaas rugby. Maybe Gregan at 10 - where he spent some of his youth ;)

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Still the need for an uncapped player in the team or at least squad. Im thinking what an opportunity for Lachie Mitchell who made his Wasps debut last weekend in the EDF Cup, as did Alex Walker for Saracens.

W

whocares

the gambler said:
Still the need for an uncapped player in the team or at least squad. Im thinking what an opportunity for Lachie Mitchell who made his Wasps debut last weekend in the EDF Cup, as did Alex Walker for Saracens.

putting Alex Walker behind Smit would be good for him. But how much game time would he get then?? And would he then be able to handle himself against a nearly full streath Wallabies side because Deans has come out saying that it aint no holiday.

Then again he is the son of a former Mr Universe. And his younger brother is looking the same way.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
NTA said:
CJ vd Linde should be up there somewhere??? Can't prop for shit but will look good playing Baabaas rugby. Maybe Gregan at 10 - where he spent some of his youth ;)

You're kidding right?

Status
Not open for further replies.