• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Baa Baas V Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So the BaaBaas squad names confirmed thus far
Barbarians squad:
Backs - Percy Montgomery (SA), Bryan Habana (SA), Joe Rococoko (NZ), Shane Williams (Wales), Rico Gear (NZ), Jean de Villiers (SA), Ollie Smith (England), Francois Trinh-Duc (France), George Gregan (Australia), Fourie du Preez (SA)

Forwards - John Smit (SA), Mark Regan (England), Gurthro Steenkamp (SA), Carl Hayman (NZ), Patrice Collazo (France), Bakkies Botha (SA), Steve Borthwick (England), Chris Jack (NZ), Nick Koster (Western Province), Schalk Burger (SA), Jerry Collins (NZ), Richie McCaw (NZ)

Coach ? Jake White
Assistant Coach ? Eddie Jones

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Geez, that'd have to be one of the strongest Baabaas sides in a while. A lot of top names there.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Starting line up?

15 Percy Montgomery (SA),
14 Joe Rococoko (NZ),
13 Rico Gear (NZ),
12 Jean de Villiers (SA),
11 Shane Williams (Wales),
10 Francois Trinh-Duc (France),
9 Fourie du Preez (SA)
8 Jerry Collins (NZ),
7 Richie McCaw (NZ)
6 Schalk Burger (SA),
5 Bakkies Botha (SA),
4 Steve Borthwick (England),
3 Carl Hayman (NZ),
2 John Smit (SA),
1 Patrice Collazo (France),

Res:

Mark Regan (England), Gurthro Steenkamp (SA), Chris Jack (NZ), Nick Koster (Western Province), George Gregan (Australia), Bryan Habana (SA), Ollie Smith (England),

I think Gear will make a better fist of 13 than Habana. Also, Habana's form is sketchy (not sure of Gear's form).

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Finishing up with the Barbarians at Wembley

These touring players aren't in the squad for the Welsh test on Saturday: Alexander, Kimlin, Kepu, Palu, Pocock, TPN, O'Connor, Sheehan and Turner. Considerations for selecting the team to play the Baabaas:

Fullback: Turner or Rabbit, or does Mitchell warrant extra development?
Outside backs: is Tuqiri up for a run? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Cross both deserve time to push their respective barrows at 13; will AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) be fit enough in time?
Halfback: does Sam get a sendoff as captain? As far as I can work out Sheehan's had no game time; don't forget he's returning to play in Oz next year. Who starts?
Back row: will Palu recover in time?
Second row: Sharpe should be rested, who's going to partner Kimlin?
Front row: which hooker to start with, TPN or Freier? Can either Alexander or Kepu play THP?

My team for the Baabaas:

15. Turner
14. Ioane
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. O'Connor
11. Tuqiri
10. Cooper
9. Sheehan
8. Brown
7. Pocock
6. Mumm
5. Chisholm
4. Kimlin
3. Kepu
2. TPN
1. Alexander

16. Freier
17. Dunning
18. MMM
19. Waugh
20. Cordingley
21. Cross
22. Mitchell

Baxter, Moore, Sharpe and Smith surely need a rest, and there's no need to pick Robinson, Burgess, Giteau, Hynes or Mortlock. Palu seems to attract shoulder injuries, leave him to recover from this one. If Tuqiri's not up to a run, move Turner to the wing and start Mitchell at 15. Those dirt-trackers who won't feature in Oz rugby's future, Freier, Dunning, Waugh and Cordingley, ride the pine. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Cross to get half a game each at 13.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Re: Finishing up with the Barbarians at Wembley

hmmm, I want JOC (James O'Connor) at fullback, but can't quite make it work with Tahu and Barnes not around.

I will try:

15 James O'Connor
14 Lachlan Turner
13 Ryan Cross
12 Adam Ashley-Cooper
11 Digby Ione
10 Quade Cooper
9 Brett Sheehan
8 Wycliffe Palu
7 David Pocock
6 Phil Waugh
5 Dean Mumm
4 Peter Kimlin
3 Sekope Kepu
2 TPN
1 Ben Alexander

16 Adam Freier
17 Matt Dunning
18 Mark Chisolm
19 Richard Brown
20 Sam Cordingly
21 Matt Giteau
22 Drew Mitchell

Sammy doesn't need a send off. He's played 20 odd tests, only starting in 8. Let's not give him a testimonial year!

F

formeropenside

On the other hand, Singer Whittaker got to captain the Wallabies a few times when one would have thought he was not the best choice.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

hmmm, I want JOC (James O'Connor) at fullback, but can't quite make it work with Tahu and Barnes not around.

That is why I've picked Gits at 12. (And because I want to see him and Cooper have at least 40 minutes together). JOC (James O'Connor) can come into 12 in the second half to give Gits a rest.

The backline I've put down would have to be one of the most exciting, and speedy backlines ever to play for the Wallabies (IMHO)!

15. Mitchell
14. Ioane
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Giteau (c)
11. O'Connor
10. Cooper
9. Coordingly
8. Brown
7. Pocock
6. McMeniman
5. Mumm
4. Chisholm
3. Kepu
2. TPN
1. Robinson

Freier, Alexander, Kimlin, Palu, Burgess, Turner, Tuqiri

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

So Sheehan doesn't get any game time at all on your tour, Scotty? What do we do if we get a spate of crocked half backs next year? Send Sam an SOS?

Cordingley is yesterday's man. That's not my opinion, it's his choice.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

I was going to throw him in there on the bench, but I like the idea of Burgess being able to use his running game in the second half vs the Baabaas. Coordingly is there not for his personal development, but so he can give some decent service to Cooper and Giteau.

Do you really think Sheehan is a long term option for the Wallabies - or just a stop gap? How highly do you think Deans rates him, if he hasn't seen any time so far this tour? He hasn't even managed to warm a bench yet.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Lindommer said:
Palu seems to attract shoulder injuries, leave him to recover from this one.

Nice to see Deans and Co reading my blogs, and taking my advice. ;D ;D ;D

S

Spook

Jesus, don't play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 12! :eek: Other than that, agree with all sides. JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 for me.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Backs - Percy Montgomery (SA), Bryan Habana (SA), Joe Rococoko (NZ), Shane Williams (Wales), Rico Gear (NZ), Jean de Villiers (SA), Ollie Smith (England), Francois Trinh-Duc (France), George Gregan (Australia), Fourie du Preez (SA)

Forwards - John Smit (SA), Mark Regan (England), Gurthro Steenkamp (SA), Carl Hayman (NZ), Patrice Collazo (France), Bakkies Botha (SA), Steve Borthwick (England), Chris Jack (NZ), Nick Koster (Western Province), Schalk Burger (SA), Jerry Collins (NZ), Richie McCaw (NZ)

Are we gonna be smashed?

15 Percy Montgomery
14 Joe Rococoko
13 Rico Gear
12 Jean de Villiers
11 Shane Williams
10 Francois Trinh-Duc
9 Fourie du Preez
8 Jerry Collins
7 Richie McCaw
6 Schalk Burger
5 Bakkies Botha
4 Steve Borthwick
3 Carl Hayman
2 John Smit
1 Gurthro Steenkamp

16 Mark Regan
17 Patrice Collazo
18 Chris Jack
19 Nick Koster
20 George Gregan
21 Ollie Smith
22 Bryan Habana

we're gonna chuck Kepu and Alexander up against Guthro and Hayman and Smit

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Noddy said:

Are we gonna be smashed?

15 Percy Montgomery
14 Joe Rococoko
13 Rico Gear
12 Jean de Villiers
11 Shane Williams
10 Francois Trinh-Duc
9 Fourie du Preez
8 Jerry Collins
7 Richie McCaw
6 Schalk Burger
5 Bakkies Botha
4 Steve Borthwick
3 Carl Hayman
2 John Smit
1 Gurthro Steenkamp

16 Mark Regan
17 Patrice Collazo
18 Chris Jack
19 Nick Koster
20 George Gregan
21 Ollie Smith
22 Bryan Habana

we're gonna chuck Kepu and Alexander up against Guthro and Hayman and Smit

Aren't the Baa Baas supposed to play an uncapped player? we are going to get owned.....................

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

Holy shit, is that the best XV ever?

(Apart, of course, from the AllBlacks team in the semi against the Wallabies in 2003).

Status
Not open for further replies.