• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Baa Baas V Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
NTA said:
CJ vd Linde should be up there somewhere??? Can't prop for shit but will look good playing Baabaas rugby. Maybe Gregan at 10 - where he spent some of his youth ;)

You're kidding right?
Think Nick mean he'll be looking good playing BaaBaas rugby and scrumming against the Wallabies. :nta:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Uncapped player for the BaaBaas youngste Koster from WP. Cant believe this kid was still in school at Bishops a year ago
Die Burger
Nick Koster, a 19-year-old Western Province rookie, has been invited to play for the Barbarians against the Australian rugby touring team at Twickenham on December 3.

Stephen Nell writes in Die Burger that Koster will join WP Springboks Schalk Burger, Jean de Villiers and Percy Montgomery in the match against the Wallabies.

Koster, who showed outstanding promise in his first Currie Cup season this year, was over the moon when he received the news on Monday.

?I?m very excited; I feel really privileged,? he said. ?I always thought it (playing for the Barbarians) would be a wonderful experience towards the end of my career. It came much earlier than I could have hoped.?

The youngster is looking forward to playing in the company of All Black captain Richie McCaw and other stars.

He also sees it as a great opportunity to be coached by Jake White, who took the Springboks to World Cup glory in 2007. ?I have immense respect for him,? he said.

Can hardly believe it is true

Koster confessed to being caught on the wrong foot by the invitation. ?I have learnt one should expect anything but I can hardly believe this is true. But a lot of things have happened this year that I did not expect.?

WP professional coach Rassie Erasmus welcomed Koster?s selection. ?The more experience he gains at that level the better. He is good enough, and very mature,? Erasmus said.

?He is also physical enough. At the age of 19, he weights 106kg.?

?It?s wonderful for Nick. I had to wait until I was 27 before I could play for the Barbarians,? the former Springbok loose forward said.

Erasmus added that he would stand in no one?s way to play for the Barbarians. He will leave it to the players to decide whether they are mentally and physically up to playing in another first-class match.?

Erasmus denied on Monday that WP had signed Cheetahs loose forward Duane Vermeulen. However, the union is certainly interested in him.

?I brought Duane from the Pumas to the Cheetahs,? Erasmus said. ?I will be wonderful if he?d like to join us (WP) but at this stage it?s only a rumour.

?We?ll have to see whether he has recovered from his injuries, but no contract has been signed with him,? Erasmus said.

Rob Wagner, managing director of WP Rugby (Pty) Limited, confirmed Erasmus?s words.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Noddy said:
I have skim read that a couple of times, but can't find his position. What is it?
He plays 19 for Province, another loose forward/No 8

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
He plays 8 or 7. Is a strong ball carrier type of loosie. Think he will pack down in 8 for the BBs

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
excellent. He should have drinks after the games with the Wallabies. Perhaps get to know the likes of Berrick, Hynsie, Quade and Hugh!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Noddy said:
excellent. He should have drinks after the games with the Wallabies. Perhaps get to know the likes of Berrick, Hynsie, Quade and Hugh!
Maybe chase some Pom girls. ;) Hope they'll get to know each other in 2009 S14. Puke Watson to stay at home. :nta:

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Tom said:
10. Du Preez (???)

Rugby Newsletter said:
Former Springbok technical advisor Coach Eddie Jones believes that Ruan Pienaar has the potential to become a world-class fly-half and should be convinced to play there for South Africa.

The former Wallaby Head Coach also reckons that inside centre is Francois Steyn's best position and that the Sharks duo could form a formidable partnership.

Jones, the Director of Rugby at English club Saracens has been has been in South Africa to look into the possibility of a player exchanges with the Blue Bulls and Western Province. South African sports promotions company SAIL holds shares in all three organizations, which would facilitate any such moves.

"Ruan Pienaar, that's who I would pick," Jones told Super Sport, when asked who should play fly-half for the Boks.

"They (the Springbok selectors) should pick him at 10 and just stick with him for a couple of years. He's such a talented player.

"In terms of [fly-half] Butch James has done a tremendous job, but he is playing back-to-back seasons so it is going to catch up with him, and he is getting older...

"The guy I like is Ruan Pienaar. He trained during the World Cup at [fly-half] and to me he looks the most like a Steve Larkham. He's got outstanding pace, he's got great catch, pass - he'll have to learn how to play that position, and it will take a couple of seasons, but you know Steve Larkham wasn't the finished product until three or four years down the track.

"It will take that investment but to me Ruan's got everything you would need to have as a good fly-half for the Springboks - and he's tough! you know he doesn't mind mixing it," said Jones whose contributions to the Springboks back-line play at last year's World Cup has been praised by all involved.

He also added that, if it were up to him, Francois Steyn would be running at inside centre

"I think at this stage Francois is an inside centre. He was outstanding at the World Cup - big, strong guy, gets over the gainline, very good kicking game, great defender - so you could actually use him as a second stand-off as well.

"So going forward you could have a Ruan Pienaar at 10 and a Francois Steyn at 12 - it not only gives you running options, it gives you kicking options and also passing options.

"Imagine playing against them when they're on song? Plus they're young and have many years to come," added Jones.
http://www.planet-rugby.com/Story/0,18259,3551_4339587,00.html

considering Eddie and Jake are coaching the baa-baa's...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dont know about Eddie (who did some good things around here) but dont agree on Pienaar in 10. Dont think he is invited to the BBs anyway. Steyn should play 10 and get time to settle there.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Dont know about Eddie (who did some good things around here) but dont agree on Pienaar in 10. Dont think he is invited to the BBs anyway. Steyn should play 10 and get time to settle there.

I hope so, Steyn is a rubbish 10.

W

whocares

fatprop said:
PaarlBok said:

He'll be the same a Wilkinson
Slot goals from anywhere but when it comes to actually directing a game....rubish.
He's best as a center

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tom said:
fatprop said:
PaarlBok said:

He'll be the same a Wilkinson
Slot goals from anywhere but when it comes to actually directing a game....rubish.
He's best as a center
Always thought your 12 is playing a big role in directing the game. :nta:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Baabaas could be Bokless?

The South African Rugby Union have said it is yet to give permission for six of its Springboks players to play for the Barbarians against Australia at Wembley next month because it is yet to receive a request to do so.

SA Rugby's acting managing director Andy Marinos confirmed to Afrikaans Sunday newspaper Sondag that the organisation had not given permission for the players to play, and as things now stand there would be no Springboks participating.

The six players in question are captain John Smit, winger Bryan Habana, centre Jean de Villiers, halfback Fourie du Preez, flanker Schalk Burger and lock Victor Matfield.

Marinos said there had been no request from the Barbarians, who will be coached by former South Africa coach Jake White, for the players to be part of the festival game and therefore no players had been released to play.

"It's unbelievable, up to this moment nobody from the Barbarians has picked up a phone to call us and ask for permission," said Marinos.

"It seems that they have approached the players directly to join them for the game.

"SA Rugby has not given permission at this time and as the players are contracted to us they need to be given permission before they can play.

"The decision is in the hands of Springbok coach Peter de Villiers who will make a call within the next 10 days after he has personally consulted the players."

While Marinos admitted SA Rugby had asked for insurance guarantees if the players were injured in the game, he denied that there was any malice in the decision.

"We have to make decisions on purely rugby grounds," he said

"At the moment the British and Irish Lions tour next year is our first priority and there is a question about the amount of rest the players need to have before joining their Super 14 franchises.

"We will make the decision on rugby grounds."

N

Not Cougar Again

Scarfman said:
Don't forget, people, that in RSA 6 = openside and 7 = blindside.

Your taking the piss right......never in all my years have i heard such rubbish!

Status
Not open for further replies.