• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Baa Baas V Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Re: Finishing up with the Barbarians at Wembley

Sorry, should make it clear that is my proposed line up. Not the actual one.

The standard thing going for us is that they won't get together until Monday I would suggest. For a Wed game.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
10 problem fixed. Francois Steyn will join the BaaBaas
Sharks site
John Smit and Francois Steyn from the Sharks will join Jean de Villiers, Bakkies Botha, Schalk Burger, Percy Montgomery and Bryan Habana, while Fourie du Preez, Gurthro Steenkamp and Nick Koster do not have contracts with SA Rugby and permission to play needed to be granted by their unions and coaches.

R

rugbywhisperer

PaarlBok said:
10 problem fixed. Francois Steyn will join the BaaBaas
Sharks site
John Smit and Francois Steyn from the Sharks will join Jean de Villiers, Bakkies Botha, Schalk Burger, Percy Montgomery and Bryan Habana, while Fourie du Preez, Gurthro Steenkamp and Nick Koster do not have contracts with SA Rugby and permission to play needed to be granted by their unions and coaches.
Good, that gives Aussie a chance. Steyne will try to do too much himself.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I still fancy Steyn. They should pick him in 10 but now Pienaar played so well , I dont know anymore. You wont find a player with a biger boot then Steyn and he'll sure going to give yur lot some trouble with his tactical kicking. Forget its a BaaBaa match so'll have to spin. Think with Jean in 12 he'll transform a bit and some dangerous runners outside of them.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
You don't think someone should kidnap him and smack him around until he promises not to try drop goals outside the 40 metre line?

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Sully said:
You don't think someone should kidnap him and smack him around until he promises not to try drop goals outside the 40 metre line?

Is that what happened to Matt Dunning, then? Always wondered... :nta:

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm choking on my own bile at the sight of that Baa Baas team. Can't see us winning even with a 2 day preparation from the Baa Baas, but it's a developmental game anyway. All I know is it should be an absolute cracker to watch, and I am glad that someone in Aus finally wizened up and will be showing the game on TV.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
All I know is it should be an absolute cracker to watch, and I am glad that someone in Aus finally wizened up and will be showing the game on TV.

Who? Isn't it thursday morning?

R

rugbywhisperer

Ash said:
I'm choking on my own bile at the sight of that Baa Baas team. Can't see us winning even with a 2 day preparation from the Baa Baas, but it's a developmental game anyway. All I know is it should be an absolute cracker to watch, and I am glad that someone in Aus finally wizened up and will be showing the game on TV.

Who is showing it on TV???????????????
If it's TEN then Queenslanders still get it AN HOUR LATE - NOT LIVE

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
disco said:
All I know is it should be an absolute cracker to watch, and I am glad that someone in Aus finally wizened up and will be showing the game on TV.

I believe channel 10 will be showing the game at 6:00am Sydney time on Thursday morning. Not sure if it is at 5:00am or 6:00am in Brisbane.

F

formeropenside

Ash said:
disco said:

I believe channel 10 will be showing the game at 6:00am Sydney time on Thursday morning. Not sure if it is at 5:00am or 6:00am in Brisbane.

Either way I'm up with the 2 year old to watch some "rugbyball" together.

T

Turban

Re: Finishing up with the Barbarians at Wembley

Noddy said:
Backs - Percy Montgomery (SA), Bryan Habana (SA), Joe Rococoko (NZ), Shane Williams (Wales), Rico Gear (NZ), Jean de Villiers (SA), Ollie Smith (England), Francois Trinh-Duc (France), George Gregan (Australia), Fourie du Preez (SA)

Forwards - John Smit (SA), Mark Regan (England), Gurthro Steenkamp (SA), Carl Hayman (NZ), Patrice Collazo (France), Bakkies Botha (SA), Steve Borthwick (England), Chris Jack (NZ), Nick Koster (Western Province), Schalk Burger (SA), Jerry Collins (NZ), Richie McCaw (NZ)

Are we gonna be smashed?

15 Percy Montgomery
14 Joe Rococoko
13 Rico Gear
12 Jean de Villiers
11 Shane Williams
10 Francois Trinh-Duc
9 Fourie du Preez
8 Jerry Collins
7 Richie McCaw
6 Schalk Burger
5 Bakkies Botha
4 Steve Borthwick
3 Carl Hayman
2 John Smit
1 Gurthro Steenkamp

16 Mark Regan
17 Patrice Collazo
18 Chris Jack
19 Nick Koster
20 George Gregan
21 Ollie Smith
22 Bryan Habana

we're gonna chuck Kepu and Alexander up against Guthro and Hayman and Smit

Thats back-row is straight out of my dreams.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm not to concerned about the result of the Baa Baas games I just hope our young blokes get stuck in & have a real go i'm really keen to see TPN, Pocock, Kimlin, Cooper & JOC (James O'Connor) get a start.

Will be cool if Pocock gets the better of McCaw again although Mccaw has Schalk on board to bail him out.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Yeah, I'm with you, Disco. The young fellas in the front row have to get a run to see how good they are (and I hope they are good enough), but I'd be ecstatic if Mumm, Pocock and Brown were our starting back row. To me this looks like our 6, 7 & 8 of the future, and I can't think of a better game to blood them in. Be nice if they got one over St RtI and his two mates.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
In come Johan Muller and out Bortwick
Keo
Two more Boks join BaaBaas

Some late changes to the Barbarians squad this week sees South African Sharks pair Francois Steyn and Johann Muller called up along with Italian strong man Federico Pucciariello and Pacific Islander front rower Census Johnston

The Barbarians assemble in London on Sunday with more big names added to their squad for the end-of-tour extravaganza against Australia at Wembley on 3 December.

Springbok Steyn comes in for the injured Francois Trinh-Duc behind the scrum while in the pack Pucciariello and Johnston replace Gurthro Steenkamp and Carl Hayman respectively. South African lock forward Muller is also called up to replace Steve Borthwick.

The starting line-up will be announced at midday on Monday 1 December.

Barbarians squad:

Backs: Percy Montgomery (SA), Bryan Habana (SA), Joe Rococoko (NZ), Shane Williams (Wales), Rico Gear (NZ), Jean de Villiers (SA), Ollie Smith (England), Francois Steyn (SA), George Gregan (Australia), Fourie du Preez (SA)

Forwards: John Smit (SA), Mark Regan (England), Census Johnston (Samoa), Federico Pucciariello (Italy), Patrice Collazo (France), Bakkies Botha (SA), Johann Muller (SA), Chris Jack (NZ), Nick Koster (Western Province), Schalk Burger (SA), Jerry Collins (NZ), Richie McCaw (NZ)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Blue said:
NTA said:
CJ vd Linde should be up there somewhere??? Can't prop for shit but will look good playing Baabaas rugby. Maybe Gregan at 10 - where he spent some of his youth ;)

You're kidding right?

Nope. CJ is a very ordinary scrummager - well at least as far as available Saffer talent goes :)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
NTA said:
Blue said:
NTA said:
CJ vd Linde should be up there somewhere??? Can't prop for shit but will look good playing Baabaas rugby. Maybe Gregan at 10 - where he spent some of his youth ;)

You're kidding right?

Nope. CJ is a very ordinary scrummager - well at least as far as available Saffer talent goes :)

Sure, not the greatest as far as the SA TH's are concerned but a bit better than "can't prop for shit". We just don't make props in that category. :)

HE stepped up just fine at TH in the RWC, considering that until 2 years ago he had never played TH. Got moved around by Sheridan (look Ma, no bind) and gradually got the better of him until late in the game when he got a TH.

He is still SA's best option at 3 until some other bloke called Smit stands up (which incidentally I think he will).

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Blue; you think that Smit's future is at tight head? Are there plans for him to stay there after the EOYT?

If Smit gets a mortgage on your 3 jersey, I'm sure you Saffas could let us borrow a few tight heads for 10 or 20 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.