• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ballymore Redevelopment

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
For starters, I would look at 51/49 in our favour. 50/50 is a recipe for disaster, I reckon.

A good accountant could crunch the numbers pretty easily, couldn't you?

Reactions: dru

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If taxpayers spent $200m on the stadium, I would hope that the QRU (or soccer team) ends up with 0% ownership

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree its a pipe dream if it was for rugby only.

If a combined rugby / soccer bid went it, then I humbly suggest its got a reasonable chance. But to get soccer interested you would need to offer them shared equity meaning each code own 50% each.

As I see it, what is costing us money would become an income earner, and things like stadium hire etc reduced. However it means giving up 50% of the ownership. Maybe thats a bridge too far.

The money all has to come from taxpayers. The A League expansion club would be happy to jump on the bandwagon to have a new facility without needing to own 50% of the ground in my opinion.

The government case would certainly be that multiple teams were going to use it and Brisbane needed a boutique stadium. I also don't think they would require the ownership to be split.

The QRU certainly want other codes to be clamouring for an upgrade but I don't think they need to give away their ownership to advance their case.

Reactions: dru

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
The money all has to come from taxpayers. The A League expansion club would be happy to jump on the bandwagon to have a new facility without needing to own 50% of the ground in my opinion.

The government case would certainly be that multiple teams were going to use it and Brisbane needed a boutique stadium. I also don't think they would require the ownership to be split.

The QRU certainly want other codes to be clamouring for an upgrade but I don't think they need to give away their ownership to advance their case.

I'm not sure the ownership situation would allow the QRU to give up equity in the stadium. Isn't it held in trust or similar?

T

TOCC

I'm not sure the ownership situation would allow the QRU to give up equity in the stadium. Isn't it held in trust or similar?

ownership could be exchanged in a number of ways if they really wanted to, but thats unlikely to happen. At best it could be a financial arrangement with cheaper ground hire costs or along those lines.

But reading into those articles, it sounds like the QRU may want Stadiums QLD to take over management of the stadium, this would free the QRU of the ongoing maintenance costs but they would relinquish some of the control and flexibility they currently hold.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Yep

North Queensland stadium - $250m, 25,000 seats

https://www.statedevelopment.qld.gov.au/major-projects/north-queensland-stadium-the-project.html

Western Sydney Stadium - $300m, 30,000 seats

http://www.infrastructure.nsw.gov.au/projects-nsw/western-sydney-stadium/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
You can build a stadium at around $3500 per seat, without corporate facilities, and with minimal food facilities, etc. For full corporate, food etc you are looking at $10k per seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Feels like the late 90’s all over again. I don’t claim to be a sooth sawyer, however I can claim to be a business pragmatist certainly not an idealist and I don’t think anyway I let my heart rule my brain on business matters.

Ballymore was gifted to rugby under a trust. In the giving rugby has responsibilities whether in writing or implied. In writing we know Ballymore must remain as a sporting and reactional area.

Further implied I would argue is we need to maintain the place. Where it’s interesting is does that mean cutting the grass or does that mean keeping an 18k stadium in good order ready for use.

Dare I say rugby does not hold the place in Queensland sport it held say 30 to 40 years ago. I think still number two behind league but just two, with soccer third then AFL.

The facts are we have a crumbling stadium which as each year passes will become more unusable.

We can own 100% of something which is costing the QRU revenue that could be used for other things.

Or we could offer soccer on the grounds they can bring government support and some cash as well to do the place up to a useable 18 to 20 k stadium. Then we own 50% of quite a valuable asset.

So we have two choices we can hope a fairy god mother comes along and solves all our problems or put a business plan in place to solve it.

T

TOCC

Just so we’re clear, this Brisbane City A-League bid isn’t the only consortium in Brisbane bidding, nor is Brisbane the only potential expansion location. Brisbane City the local football club who hope to be promoted, they have been signing the praises of a Ballymore development because they hope to use that as a point of difference for gaining promotion.

They have much to gain from the development, and unless they are offering up some financial contribution(which they aren’t), then it’s a little premature to be considering gifting half of the QRUs biggest asset to a local football club.

T

TOCC

Super W strategically been launched at Ballymore... Every other recent RA media opportunity has been done with the shiny backdrop of the new ARDC at Moore Park..

3000.jpg

T

TOCC

ba5355fc5531e400cf42354c8f88e71a

Lions set to start construction on the new facility in Springfield, Ipswich, $15million in funding each from the federal and state government, with the Ipswich City Council, Springfield Land Corporation and AFL making up the difference. This is one thing the AFL does very well, and that is leveraging funding from multiple tiers of government and development bodies to develop infrastructure like this.

Is this good news or bad news for Ballymore? thats yet to be seen, it indicates the state government might be wiling to loosen the purse strings for sporting projects like this, but it was also at a far more advanced phase then Ballymore with financial contributions from multiple levels.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What's the point of doling out all this taxpayers' money on a training facility? If the Lions are committed to staying at the Gabba the AFL can fund this development themselves.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Lions set to start construction on the new facility in Springfield, Ipswich, $15million in funding each from the federal and state government, with the Ipswich City Council, Springfield Land Corporation and AFL making up the difference. This is one thing the AFL does very well, and that is leveraging funding from multiple tiers of government and development bodies to develop infrastructure like this.

Is this good news or bad news for Ballymore? thats yet to be seen, it indicates the state government might be wiling to loosen the purse strings for sporting projects like this, but it was also at a far more advanced phase then Ballymore with financial contributions from multiple levels.
It was waiting on state funding promises, with a girl power team in control of the state then any way to link AFLW to funding will prove popular.

This will be the female lions (why not lionesses) home ground as well as the training facility, I live about 1km away and hate the game but if they want to fund my boy and girl to play sport then I am ok with it.

This will be great for Springfield and is a short 300m walk from the rail station.

This will eventually be the home for the men too one day....it was let slip at a Lions board meeting and caused all sorts of issues and the project was put on the back burner, I think the AFL will leverage the ground and plans for expansion to get an improved GABBA or will just build their own ground.

T

TOCC

QRU seeking $15million from the state government which the Feds will also match apparently, so $30million development.. This project will be launched riding the wave of support generated through womens rugby, both sevens and XV's, which makes sense from a political point of view.

The exciting NRTC has the support of Rugby Australia to become the new national headquarters for women’s rugby and a hub for other squads, including juniors, that goes well beyond being the home of the Queensland Reds.The Federal Government has indicated it will match any State Government commitment, the QRU says.
The NRTC’s wider scope would be as a second training facility for the Wallabies and Olympic sevens sides who have bases in Sydney.“The creation of the National Rugby Training Centre at Ballymore is the single most important project for Queensland rugby,” QRU chief executive Richard Barker said.
“It will transform the site, provide a sustainable future for the code and supercharge women’s rugby throughout the nation.

half

Alan Cameron (40)

I hate the way the AFL get governments to point them major infrastructure, there AFLW is not two years old has only eight teams and they could not even put them together it rates as the number four sport in Queensland behind League, Union & Soccer but the money spent on their grounds is fucking amazing.

Same in Sydney, they must use their media contacts or whatever. What about basketball and soccer they have been playing in women's leagues and in major international tournaments.

Does make me spit chips how the AFL in every state have had billions built for them.

T

TOCC

It’s smart business... all the other codes could learn a thing or two from the AFL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T

TOCC

Development is primarily focussed on training facilities behind McLean Stand and on Field 3 rather then any real upgrade of the stadium itself, although McLean Stand will receive a makeover in the process. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with the potential flooding from Enoggera Creek, I imagine they will have to build a fairly decent raised slab to mitigate that.
2b3c53c48de14fd324a41e72549cbbe5

895037-1f8394bc-d1cd-11e3-8fbf-4c17b85df1c4.jpg

d519a452294f8a0c9fe500c3a05528f8

T

TOCC

It was waiting on state funding promises, with a girl power team in control of the state then any way to link AFLW to funding will prove popular.

This will be the female lions (why not lionesses) home ground as well as the training facility, I live about 1km away and hate the game but if they want to fund my boy and girl to play sport then I am ok with it.

This will be great for Springfield and is a short 300m walk from the rail station.

This will eventually be the home for the men too one day..it was let slip at a Lions board meeting and caused all sorts of issues and the project was put on the back burner, I think the AFL will leverage the ground and plans for expansion to get an improved GABBA or will just build their own ground.

Its going to be an amazing facility for them, and the number of partners they have managed to leverage funding from is impressive:

AFL: $10million
Ipswich City Council: $12millin
Springfield Lance Corporation: $18million
QLD Government: $15million
Federal Government: $15million