• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ballymore Redevelopment

T

TOCC

same proposal as about 5 years ago. They're just throwing the politically timely "Women's Rugby" label around with it.

Yeah, thats how the Lions facility at Springfield is been sold as well, its no2 leveraged on the AFLW but exact same facility as it was 2 years ago.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Thanks for those photos TOCC.

I think upgrading the McLean Stand like that is best use of dollars because it's that part of the stadium which is crumbling. I'd personally like to see the grand stand a bit bigger. I'm not talking like the other side of the field but having some boxes but more seats in the stand would be nice. is there any depth by those photos if it will increase in height?

Also that entrance way to the main ground doesn't look very revenue collecting friendly. Where are the turnstiles so i can pay my $15 dollars to watch the Premier Grade Grand Final.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Its going to be an amazing facility for them, and the number of partners they have managed to leverage funding from is impressive:

AFL: $10million
Ipswich City Council: $12millin
Springfield Lance Corporation: $18million
QLD Government: $15million
Federal Government: $15million
I want the stadium, as a local I hope this comes and I hope we get a football club that can cater to all junior sport in the district but do question how it came about.

https://www.greaterspringfield.com.au/us/management-team/ -Bob Sharpless is a director, http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...-brisbane-lions-chairman-20171108-gzhei8.html he is affiliated with the Lions, https://www.qt.com.au/news/breaking-sharpless-called-before-ccc-hearing/3168524/

The delay in funding from the state government after initial announcement has been extended due to the stink associated with Ipswich council and Paul Pisasale.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah, thats how the Lions facility at Springfield is been sold as well, its no2 leveraged on the AFLW but exact same facility as it was 2 years ago.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/Our state’s first woman MP (Moana Pasifika) Irene Longman wasn’t allowed to eat in the dining room, only the verandah. Irene achieved a lot from her lonely table for one. Now half of our state’s Cabinet are women. We’ve come a long way and there’s still more to be done. Happy #IWD2018

Seems like any thing that is female in QLD goes to the top list of prioroties

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
Take this for what it's worth, but a family member is heavily involved at Sunnybank and apparently Annastacia P this week contacted the QRU to express that after Sunday's womens 7s final, she is "in love with 7s".

Potentially good news on the funding front.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Each week I hear more and more noise about this getting done, fingers crossed.

Kate Jones is the local member or thereabouts and is very interested in the project, palaszczuk also keen.

The cost isn't super expensive, and the busway could easily be extended from RBWH.

Also RE AFL, they can take a walk as far as I'm concerned, they've received so much Fed & State Money, what with Carrara. RUgby's turn for some time in the sun thanks

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Grace Grace is the local member and is on board. Kate Jones is basically a neighbour (kids play at GPS apparently).

Finally they have got politicians on side which is tough in this league loving state. The Premier was at the Rugby 7s on Saturday morning and was only meant to stay for a couple of hours but loved it and stayed for basically the whole session and wanted to come back the next day.

Jones hosted the box on Friday night with some of the QRU heavy hitters that was apparently a great environment. Raelene Castle even popped in for a chat.

It’s a relationship Qld Rugby hasn’t had with politicians for some time and, frankly, most of it is on the back of the success of the women’s game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From a QRU press release

QRU Media Release: $15 million Federal Election commitment to help Ballymore transform to world class sports precinct

The Queensland Rugby Union’s (QRU) iconic Ballymore Park will be transformed into a world class sports precinct and community facility, which will include a national headquarters for women’s Rugby, following a $15 million election commitment from the Australian Labor Party.

Shadow Minister for Sport, Senator the Hon Don Farrell and Federal Labor candidate for the seat of Brisbane, Dr Paul Newbury, today announced Labor would commit $15 million towards the proposed National Rugby Training Centre (NRTC).

The stunning $35 million high-performance centre will replace the ageing McLean Stand and become the centrepiece of a redevelopment of the precinct as a recreation hub for the city, opening what is currently a closed stadium to the public with new parks, bicycle and walking paths.

The NRTC will enable Rugby Australia to base its national women’s XV-a-side program in Queensland, helping to inspire a new generation of female sporting talent with a world-class training facility, along with providing a home for the Qantas Wallabies in Queensland. The NTRC will also house the St.George Queensland Reds and the QRU’s academy program as well as other programs including referee, club rugby administration and representative programs.

The development will breathe life into an ageing facility which, since the Reds moved games to Suncorp Stadium in 2006, has burdened QRU significantly with escalating maintenance costs.

The redevelopment includes an integrated 3,000-seat stand replacing the McLean Stand’s capacity, allowing for games such as Queensland Premier Rugby club finals as well as Buildcorp Wallaroos Tests and other matches. The facility will also cater for sporting events to approximately 12,000.

The QRU has had advanced discussions with the Palaszczuk State Labor Government on a matching $15 million commitment, with a further $5 million to be contributed towards the project from within Australian Rugby.

QRU Chief Executive Officer David Hanham welcomed the ALP and Dr Newbury’s commitment.

“This is the culmination of many years of hard work by QRU and Rugby Australia to deliver a world-class sports and community precinct that meets the needs of rugby and the community we share Ballymore with,” he said.

“To provide a high-performance centre to support our elite women’s and men’s programs will ensure Queensland remains at the forefront of athlete and coach development. It also ensures that our many state-wide club and school users receive the benefit of an upgraded Ballymore.

“Paul Newbury has been an enthusiastic supporter of our vision for the code and the importance of Ballymore to this from the moment we spoke about it last year and he has fought hard to help bring it to fruition.

“This is a terrific investment, not just for rugby in Australia and Queensland, but for the Brisbane community - who will have a new community hub.

“We want to have a Ballymore that invites our neighbours in, not one that locks them out.

“We have also had discussions with Brisbane City Council about creating new links across Enoggera Creek with the Newmarket sporting fields to create a world-class community sporting complex of more than 25 hectares less than 5km from Brisbane’s CBD.”

Rugby Australia Chief Executive Raelene Castle said Ballymore was the number one infrastructure priority for the game in Australia.

“It is critical to the development of the game both in Queensland and nationally,” said Castle.

“While we already have key staff based in Brisbane, having a world class centre for our women’s XVs programs at Ballymore will allow them to continue to grow – Queensland now has more than 16,000 women and girls playing the game and those numbers are rising rapidly.

“The NRTC will also become an option for Wallabies training camps and a base for national development programs.”

The National Rugby Training Centre

The NRTC concept has been designed by Nicholas George of TVS Architects. TVS also designed Cricket Australia’s National Cricket Centre in Albion, Brisbane.

It will feature an integrated 3,000-seat stand replacing the existing McLean Stand.

Spread over 6,500 square metres, it will feature changerooms for up to 80 men and women and cutting-edge sports science and recovery facilities.

The facility will also be able to be used as a community meeting space.

CLICK HERE to view a ‘flyover’ of the redeveloped Ballymore based on the architectural design by Nicholas George.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Nice to get a commitment from the party who the polls are saying should win, unlike in 2007 when they were back by the party everyone thought would loose (and did).

In reality this needs to happen. It would be a major boost for rugby in the state.

If they can seat 12,000 in the stadium still it would be able to cater for most teams in the state, outside of the Broncos.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Looks like Wests new facility on steroids... are they keeping the eastern stand? Was hard to tell by the Instagram video I just saw

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Looks like Wests new facility on steroids. are they keeping the eastern stand? Was hard to tell by the Instagram video I just saw

nup

Ballymore National Rugby Training Centre - NRTC perspective (credit TVS Architects.jpg
Ballymore National Rugby Training Centre - field perspective (credit TVS Architects).jpg

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I don’t like it if they are knocking down the eastern stand. My wish as a reds fan is they bring back super rugby games to Ballymore and that 3 second video indicates they’ll be decommissioning the eastern stand.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Hmmm, does this mean the proposal of using Perry Park as a new 10-20,000 stadium is completely shot?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
They won't be able to get 12,000 watching one game with just one 3000 seat stand? I guess that is the capacity of the precinct?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Looks like Wests new facility on steroids. are they keeping the eastern stand? Was hard to tell by the Instagram video I just saw
Wests got a good (small) venue.

Now, I'm sure the gym and offices in these new plans are great and all, but as a spectating venue it seems that's no longer it's focus.

At least they're redeveloping the carpark. Vital for recruiting executives.