• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ballymore Redevelopment

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
So reading the Facebook post by the reds on this redevelopment. They (QRU) seem to be responding to a lot of blowback about getting rid of the hill.... sounds like the artists impression did not capture the vision too good because the hill will be on both goalies and eastern side of the grounds.

Still can’t believe they’d knock down the eastern stand. How old is that? 20 years of so?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
So reading the Facebook post by the reds on this redevelopment. They (QRU) seem to be responding to a lot of blowback about getting rid of the hill.. sounds like the artists impression did not capture the vision too good because the hill will be on both goalies and eastern side of the grounds.

Still can’t believe they’d knock down the eastern stand. How old is that? 20 years of so?
The whole thing hinges on that bit of land though right?

Must be 25 years +. Around 1992/1993?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So reading the Facebook post by the reds on this redevelopment. They (QRU) seem to be responding to a lot of blowback about getting rid of the hill.. sounds like the artists impression did not capture the vision too good because the hill will be on both goalies and eastern side of the grounds.

seen it lately?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
seen it lately?

It isn’t as bad as the other side.

It’s not world class stand but keeping it would go along way to perhaps super rugby returning to its spiritual home of Ballymore.

I think Ballymore could host the occasional super rugby match but it would never be a permanent option for super rugby home games.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it is terrible. It's sad to say but it needs to be torn down. THe seats MAY be ok, but the toilets, kitchen, lift, services etc etc are pretty dire in that eastern stand

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It isn’t as bad as the other side.

It’s not world class stand but keeping it would go along way to perhaps super rugby returning to its spiritual home of Ballymore.

I think Ballymore could host the occasional super rugby match but it would never be a permanent option for super rugby home games.

Super Rugby won’t be returning to Ballymore. facilities aren’t up to standard and a Govt review of stadiums in Queensland determined Ballymore to be an unsuitable location for hosting a sizeable Stadium in the future.

The stands are falling apart, it’s a massive financial drain on the QRU just to maintain what exists and they can’t afford to upgrade the stadium themselves and the QLD Govt won’t upgrade either based on the review.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They won't be able to get 12,000 watching one game with just one 3000 seat stand? I guess that is the capacity of the precinct?

The Grass Hill now actually extend around the whole ground, the capacity of the hill is what brings it up to 12,000, the actual design is only conceptual, expect something vastly different

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The locals would go ballistic with anything bigger crowd wise than now. The road and rail infrastructure just isn't there.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Where do you think the reds will train if this development proceeds?

For a year or 2 they probably won’t have the weight room or changing rooms whilst it’s a construction zone.

I’m guessing the reds will be based at the suburban rugby clubs around Brisbane on a rotating calander similar how the NRC matches rotates amongst the local premier clubs. Exciting times for our reds considering how promising the future looks on and off the field.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ballymore still has the old shed which contains a gym, and shouldn’t need to rip up all fields at once, they could and probably will bring in temporary facilities there which could accommodate them for 12-18months.

I’m surprised it’s a labor government backing this.. still, crucially they need support from the Queensland government

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
There are changing rooms the the old gym too. All the facilities are there to house a team for a short period of time. It would actually suit Thorn's style.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
There are changing rooms the the old gym too. All the facilities are there to house a team for a short period of time. It would actually suit Thorn's style.

Where exactly is the old gym? The big blue shed?

It might be centrally locates but I don’t think it’s ideal players training where there will be dust clouds and hazards associated with a multi million dollar redevelopment/construction zone

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ballymore still has the old shed which contains a gym, and shouldn’t need to rip up all fields at once, they could and probably will bring in temporary facilities there which could accommodate them for 12-18months.

I’m surprised it’s a labor government backing this.. still, crucially they need support from the Queensland government

QLD Govt have all set to match fed funds according to a release I saw. You're right, not 100% confirmed, but if Labour when Fed then it will happen.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Did they say that $35m is for what's shown in the picture?

That's some pretty blue sky estimating if so.

I really like what is shown and hope that's what they deliver.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Did they say that $35m is for what's shown in the picture?

That's some pretty blue sky estimating if so.

I really like what is shown and hope that's what they deliver.

No it’s only conceptual, but in terms of cost its in line with other High Performance facilities even allowing for demolition and remediation costs, Broncos just moved into a new training facility this year, $27million, which is considered the benchmark in the NRL. Rabbitohs are building a $25 million facility currently, Newcastle Knights similar with a $20million.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
QLD Govt have all set to match fed funds according to a release I saw. You're right, not 100% confirmed, but if Labour when Fed then it will happen.

The concern is they won’t commit funding until after the election, that way even if the liberals match the funding at a federal level and win the state labor government could conceivably hold back their portion of funding

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I wouldn’t be worrying what the Libs might be offering at a federal level.

Money doesn’t lie,and the bookmakers are giving them nil.