• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ballymore Redevelopment

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
No it’s only conceptual, but in terms of cost its in line with other High Performance facilities even allowing for demolition and remediation costs, Broncos just moved into a new training facility this year, $27million, which is considered the benchmark in the NRL. Rabbitohs are building a $25 million facility currently, Newcastle Knights similar with a $20million.
Yeah was aware the funding was around the same figure, but I'm more commenting on the size of it - that building looks almost twice the size of the broncos one. It might not be as I've only just seen those images now and I've not paid a lot of attention to the broncos one tbh, I dunno.

It's a nice looking structure though. I reiterate, I hope they build that one.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah agree its rather whimsical design, but I anticipate the end product will be vastly different, and that render is based on the building envelope and artistic license rather then actual design requirements.

For comparison sake, the Broncos got this delivered for $25million, so a $35million complex will be pretty special:
hb-co-broncostacf-1-lowres-2-jpg.jpg

hb-co-broncostacf-15-lowres-jpg.jpg

hb-co-broncostacf-34-lowres-jpg.jpg

hb-co-broncostacf-42-lowres-jpg.jpg

hb-co-broncostacf-58-lowres-jpg.jpg

hb-co-broncostacf-45-lowres-jpg.jpg

hb-co-broncostacf-62-lowres-jpg.jpg

hb-co-broncostacf-67-lowres-jpg.jpg

hb-co-broncostacf-74-lowres-jpg.jpg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Apologies for the flood of photos, but ill include one more, the BUPA National Cricket Centre, $29million and designed by the same architects designing the new QRU facility.

CA%203%20new.jpg

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Great photos Adam, the cricket centre looks fab.

The plans look ok, though I'd still like Ballymore to be still able to host proper rugby games. As I said in one of the other threads, a shuttle bus service straight down Butterfield St to the busway @ the hospital is perfectly feasible for 10-15k capacity, a size that could cater to many sports.

Yeah it'll never happen, but one can dream.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I wonder if the Libs will come out and promise any money to Ballymore? They've jumped on the netball bandwagon. It seems odd that Labor are supporting rugby and not the Libs.

Might be worth an email or call to local member Trevor Evans if you are that way inclined. A few e-mails of support by rugby fans would be good, regardless of the liklihood of their success.

(07) 3862 4044

Trevor.Evans.MP (Moana Pasifika)@aph.gov.au

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Great news. Looking at the plans, there could still be the option to put some kind of permanent seating on the east bank should it ever be needed. Though a hill spot on half way line with the XXXX and 4&twenty boys providing in situ refreshments does sound enticing!

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Great news. Looking at the plans, there could still be the option to put some kind of permanent seating on the east bank should it ever be needed. Though a hill spot on half way line with the XXXX and 4&twenty boys providing in situ refreshments does sound enticing!

I would love a "gold class" style ticket for a fenced off bit of the hill, increase in price just like the cinema and people to bring beer and food at set intervals.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
A clause of the liberals commitment was that their would be no residential component included in the development, which is fair enough.

Also with an emphasis on female participation, change rooms for 80 men and women

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
This is the best news for Qld Rugby since 2011 and has the ability to have more impact on the game in God's Country than winning the title. I think the artist could have done a better job in terms of what it will look like.

I'm looking forward to spending a bit of time on the western hill, where I sat for a lot of my youth.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Would love to see a club game of the round there each week, although it a transport nightmare so not really good for a lot of big use, a lot of club etc games could be played there!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah, most home games make quite a bit of money for clubs. I think Finals, Rep games and the Wallaroo's will provide plenty of chances to head out to Ballymore.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If they’re smart about it, that $35million quoted also includes a long term maintenance and cleaning contracts. Ongoing costs of
Ballymore currently sit close to a $1million/annum, new facility should be significantly less but nonetheless make someone else pay for that operational cost going forward

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Looks like we can put this thread into hibernation until the next election

Nah, Liberals matched funding for it, at a federal level the money exists regardless of who won.

It’s now on the state government to match funding