• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barbarians Australian Tour 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

It’s silly timing and player availability was always going to be an issue. Player availability really should have been something discussed before the ARU agreed to the match. Going to be a bit ridiculous if the Super Rugby teams priorities the NRC and refuse to release players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T

TOCC

Quade seems to think he will be playing for the Barbarians based on the interview following the Rays game

T

TOCC

It could be pretty strong squad given the teams seem to be releasing key players.

Depending on who the hooker is, set piece could struggle if he goes for a running game hooker, and that’s an unfortunate reflection of our prop/hooker depth.

Lineout could be decent if he goes with Carter/Arnold/Douglas type players.

Backrow, Naisarani is obviously brilliant, and there’s a plethora of inform 6&7’s, it’s just picking the one suitable to play a test level barbarians games. Cusack, Ward, Timani are all options here.

Halfback: Tuttle, Frisby, Powell, Ruru, Stirzaker... there’s a few quality options there

Fly half: Quade
12: Paia’aua
13: Meakes/Tuipulotu
14/15: Peni/Rona/Perese
Fullback: Banks

Depends how many fringe players Cheika decides to include in his match day 23, guys like Perese/Rona/Arnold could be in Wallaby jerseys.

I would also like to see someone like QLD Country winger Filipo Daugunu included, perhaps off the bench.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So the drip feed of the squad announcement so far seems to be:

3. Tupou
4. Carter
8. Naisarani
10. Cooper (c)

Any others been announced?

I have tickets to the game. It will be interesting to see what the crowd is like. I don't expect it will be particularly good based on what the ticket availability on Ticketek looked like. I'd guess is they got 20-25k they'd be pretty happy.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought Sam Ward was picked as the "people's player" earlier this year?

Regardless I am surprised it is a Barbarians jersey and brand with this.

It should be Australian Barbarians and the myrtle green jersey.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
DL-uAbkUIAATa-U.jpg:large

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Really lite on the backs - my 23 thus far:

1. Pek Cowan
2. Anaru Rangi
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Luke Jones
5. Matt Phillip
6. Jacques Potgeiter
7. Matt Hodgson (vc)
8. Isi Naisarani
9. Michael Ruru
10. Quade Cooper (c)
11. Chance Peni
12. ?
13. George Moala
14. Tim Nanai-Williams
15. Tom Banks

17. Andrew Ready
19. Richie Arnold / Sam Carter
20. Kane Koteka / Sam Ward
21. Augustine Pulu / Theo Strang
22. Sam Greene
23. Taqele Naiyaravoro / Eto Nabuli

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I can't get excited about this one iota. It's not a proper barbarians team. It's all seems a bit of a farce.

Anyone knows how ticket sales are going? I hope it sells out for the good of the game.

If the Wallabies don't win by 50 it will be embarrassing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I expect the bulk of the remaining players will come from the Wallabies squad once the team for this game (and whoever is getting rested is confirmed). Jones has said he wants Bill Meakes.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It's not a true Barbarians side but it's not an Australia A side either. Seems to be a bit lost for identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.