• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barbarians Australian Tour 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Run Banks at inside centre, Nanai to fullback and one of the 2 Fijians on the wing, Banks is a utility who is a good fullback but Nanai is a proven fullback for the Chiefs and Samoa..i.e if Meakes is not selected.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd also have Philip play at 6 as lock is adequately covered otherwise. Longer term, I think 6 will be his best spot. Just hope Hanigan doesn't get relegated from the Wallabies to fill that spot.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can't get excited about this one iota. It's not a proper barbarians team. It's all seems a bit of a farce.

Anyone knows how ticket sales are going? I hope it sells out for the good of the game.

If the Wallabies don't win by 50 it will be embarrassing.

At the moment I can buy 6 tickets in a line on the bay 35 ie right in the middle

So not great, I have no idea why this game is being played at the SFS

This has a party game at North Sydney Oval or Ballymore written all over it with about 10,000 if they are lucky

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
It's not really Baabaas, more of a Prime Minister's XV, but I still think it'll be a really interesting game to watch. Jones seems to be trying to set up a bit of a grudge match in his selections and comments. He says they'll even be wearing Force socks instead of traditional club socks - an extra Up Yours to the ARU.

Personally I reckon it's worth watching just to see Hodgo's cameo, showing the current Wallabies what a breakdown is. Just wish Liam Gill would be there too!

Also... possible R. Arnold vs R. Arnold match up? I still hope one day we get to the see all-R. Arnold combination locking for the Wallabies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Check to rest key players too so perahps something like:

15 DHP (is he fit??)
14 Koroibete
13 Kerevi
12 Meakes
11 Hodge
10 Foley (no alternative)
9 Phipps

8 Timani
7 McMahon
6 Dempsey
5 Arnold
4 Rodda
3 AA
2 Uelese
1 Robertson

16 TPN
17 Slipper
18 Kepu
19 Tui
20 Hanigan
21 Powell
22 Perese
23 Rona

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
At the moment I can buy 6 tickets in a line on the bay 35 ie right in the middle

This has a party game at North Sydney Oval or Ballymore written all over it with about 10,000 if they are lucky

I think the ARU are still overestimating the value of the tickets they are trying to sell. Surely it's better to sell 40,000 tickets at $50 a head than 20,000 at $100 and have a half full stadium? Not that it would work out that way exactly, but you get my point.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Run Banks at inside centre, Nanai to fullback and one of the 2 Fijians on the wing, Banks is a utility who is a good fullback but Nanai is a proven fullback for the Chiefs and Samoa..i.e if Meakes is not selected.
I'd run nanai Williams in the centres. He's played some 13 at soup.

T

TOCC

One of the tweets from Barbarians had a picture of Duncan Paia'aua, but he isn't... maybe still in negotiation

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

15 DHP (is he fit??)
14 Koroibete
13 Kerevi
12 Meakes
11 Hodge
9 Phipps

8 Timani
7 McMahon
6 Dempsey
5 Arnold
4 Rodda
3 AA
2 Uelese
1 Robertson

16 TPN
17 Slipper
18 Kepu
19 Tui
20 Hanigan
21 Powell
22 Perese
23 Rona

It's probably actually the perfect game to run Hodge at 10 if you want to spell Foley. Or bring Lance in for a cameo.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

I'm going. I've bought cheap seats for the family but I reckon I'll end up in those 6 seats you mention.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

15 DHP (is he fit??)
14 Koroibete
13 Kerevi
12 Meakes
11 Hodge
9 Phipps

8 Timani
7 McMahon
6 Dempsey
5 Arnold
4 Rodda
3 AA
2 Uelese
1 Robertson

16 TPN
17 Slipper
18 Kepu
19 Tui
20 Hanigan
21 Powell
22 Perese
23 Rona

Cheika on SBS news tonight said he would be putting out a strong team, maybe said a full strength side, not sure now. Said something like he wants to keep the momentum going.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One of the tweets from Barbarians had a picture of Duncan Paia'aua, but he isn't. maybe still in negotiation

Jones said Chek 'stole' a few of his players at the last minute. Perhaps Duncan was one and he could be there to rest Foley.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I kinda like the team. Maybe not from a baabaa purism point of view. But I've always liked watching jaqpot. The thought of Cooper and Nanai Williams in the same backline is also exciting.
Anyhow I can generate some interest for the game.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

15 DHP (is he fit??)
14 Koroibete
13 Kerevi
12 Meakes
11 Hodge
9 Phipps

8 Timani
7 McMahon
6 Dempsey
5 Arnold
4 Rodda
3 AA
2 Uelese
1 Robertson

16 TPN
17 Slipper
18 Kepu
19 Tui
20 Hanigan
21 Powell
22 Perese
23 Rona
I'd like to see someone else at 10 for this game or at least have Foley subbed at some stage and someone else move into 10, maybe Hodge. It's a good opportunity to build a little bit of depth at 10 because right now if Foley went down injured 5 minutes into a match we'd be in shambles trying to shift either Beale or Hodge into 10 when neither of them have really had any time there.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Would not be bad to see Beale at 10 and Hodge at 13.
That has to be Hodges rightful spot in the end. There is an awful lot of Mortlock in Hodge.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yes if Beale is playing I wouldn't mind seeing him at 10 with a straight runner at 12 like Meakes to complement Beale's more lateral movement.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd like to see someone else at 10 for this game or at least have Foley subbed at some stage and someone else move into 10, maybe Hodge. It's a good opportunity to build a little bit of depth at 10 because right now if Foley went down injured 5 minutes into a match we'd be in shambles trying to shift either Beale or Hodge into 10 when neither of them have really had any time there.

Nah Hodge isn't cluey enough in defence to be 13. It's probably TK's till retirement.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'd run nanai Williams in the centres. He's played some 13 at soup.

yeah but the Barbies are currently missing an inside centre, i think Banks, just like Hodges is capable of playing wing, fullback and 12. he should be given a run there

Status
Not open for further replies.