• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barbarians Australian Tour 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hodge needs to play 10, i have been saying it for a while now, he is a 10 converted to 15 then converted to 12 then converted to wing, he needs to get back to his roots, Wobblies could use a starting 10 that can kick long range thus opening up a spot on the wing for more speed (DHP and Sefa returns), jersey 14 is now Marika's ..

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hodge needs to play 10, i have been saying it for a while now, he is a 10 converted to 15 then converted to 12 then converted to wing, he needs to get back to his roots, Wobblies could use a starting 10 that can kick long range thus opening up a spot on the wing for more speed (DHP and Sefa returns), jersey 14 is now Marika's ..
I haven't seen a lot of Hodge play as a real distributor, even when he was 12 last year he was playing more McCabe battering ram style. Would be good to see more of his passing game and what sort of runners he can hit .

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Nah Hodge isn't cluey enough in defence to be 13. It's probably TK's till retirement.
Yeah I think we're right for 13 with Kurindrani and Kerevi as backup/the future provided he sorts out his defence. But I think Hodge's been criticised a bit unfairly lately over his ability to drift defensively mainly because it appeared he missed a pretty standard tackle midway through the first half against the Pumas because he moved off his inside man too slowly. The replay actually showed he was obstructed by one of the Pumas running a hard unders line and he couldn't get around him to make the tackle.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As mentioned in another thread..........

Pai'auau is apparently being groomed as a backup 10.

He's been called into the Bledisloe squad along with Folau Fainga'a and Jermaine Ainsley.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah I think we're right for 13 with Kurindrani and Kerevi as backup/the future provided he sorts out his defence. But I think Hodge's been criticised a bit unfairly lately over his ability to drift defensively mainly because it appeared he missed a pretty standard tackle midway through the first half against the Pumas because he moved off his inside man too slowly. The replay actually showed he was obstructed by one of the Pumas running a hard unders line and he couldn't get around him to make the tackle.

TK yes, Kerevi no. Hodge is tailor made for 13. He certainly has all of the skills. Morty Mach II. Kerevi is too selfish a player and has serious, maybe insurmountable, defensive flaws. Hodges' defense is excellent and he reads the game very well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have a leaning towards Hodge at 13 also to back up TK, but I wouldn't be quite so harsh on Kerevi. Admittedly his defense is very questionable, maybe just in the Grey shambles, but he doesn't strike me as being selfish. Actually has quite a good off loading skill.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I have a leaning towards Hodge at 13 also to back up TK, but I wouldn't be quite so harsh on Kerevi. Admittedly his defense is very questionable, maybe just in the Grey shambles, but he doesn't strike me as being selfish. Actually has quite a good off loading skill.

He is able to to offload but notice that he does not more often than he does lately. I just do not think he is a good fit at test level for us right now. He's got skills no doubt.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don't mind Kerevi off the bench. Maybe he would be better as a 12 but can't see him being moved there as Cheika likes a second distributor at 12, especially with Foley at 10. Kerevi has some great attributes but his skill set is, quite unfortunately, probably much more suited to League where he can crash and bash without having to worry about the nuances of being a test 13.

T

TOCC

TK yes, Kerevi no. Hodge is tailor made for 13. He certainly has all of the skills. Morty Mach II. Kerevi is too selfish a player and has serious, maybe insurmountable, defensive flaws. Hodges' defense is excellent and he reads the game very well.

Ah jeez here we go, Kerevi selfish? Didn’t he throw the last pass for Hodges last try?
Hodges defence isn’t excellent, just watch the game against Argentina, his defensive alignment at 12 and his lateral drift was the cause of a few argie line breaks, similar against South Africa. Against Argentina specifically his soft tackle lead to the Pumas first try, and a missed tackle of his created an overlap for the Pumas last try.

Hodge had a very good game in attack, but defensively not so much. TK is still the best defensive 13 we have, although I wouldn’t mind seeing Meakes trialled there as well.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ah jeez here we go, Kerevi selfish? Didn’t he throw the last pass for Hodges last try?
Hodges defence isn’t excellent, just watch the game against Argentina, his defensive alignment at 12 and his lateral drift was the cause of a few argie line breaks, similar against South Africa. Against Argentina specifically his soft tackle lead to the Pumas first try, and a missed tackle of his created an overlap for the Pumas last try.

Hodge had a very good game in attack, but defensively not so much. TK is still the best defensive 13 we have, although I wouldn’t mind seeing Meakes trialled there as well.

He did throw that pass but he is much more inclined to hang onto the pill rather than give it when he has someone open in or outside of him. Just not sure he is what we need in the midfield at test level. Very good player for sure.

T

TOCC

I think that’s probably more of a reflection of his passing ability rather then a sense of selfishness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^^
Seems to be able to pass quite well, when he wants to.

I think the "selfish" tag is fair enough because he runs that extra step or 3 before passing, to a player better positioned, in an attempt to break the tackle himself.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't really like Kerevi on the bench I think it limits the options too much and him and Tevita are so similar you may as well leave Tevita on the park for 80 minutes. They would be better off with someone like Hunt or Cooper (or DHP or Hodge once DHP fit) on the bench who can cover multiple positions.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
^^^^^^
Seems to be able to pass quite well, when he wants to.

I think the "selfish" tag is fair enough because he runs that extra step or 3 before passing, to a player better positioned, in an attempt to break the tackle himself.

I think Hoiles had some of the better analysis of the support play needed for Kerevi, more depth and closer, he has soft hands with great short passes if the support runner does the right line.

Just don't hold your width once he makes that half break

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Hoiles had some of the better analysis of the support play needed for Kerevi, more depth and closer, he has soft hands with great short passes if the support runner does the right line.

Just don't hold your width once he makes that half break

Which is the Fijian way. Watch the Drua or even their 7s. Deep close lines. They keep popping the ball up and the support player is there.

Kerevi did it on the weekend for Brisbane City in the lead up to Fidow's 2nd half try.

It's the Bob Dwyer style of support play too (Randwick I guess). Don't support to flat because you get taken out of the game in contact.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Cheika mentioned at a Rugby Lunch up here today that he's going to rest a bunch of players for this and call in some new faces. One name mentioned was Liam Wright.

Again, I question this whole match and it's relevance to what Australian Rugby is trying to achieve other than the ARU have obviously been paid big bucks to be a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.