• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barbarians Australian Tour 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Just received notification that ticket prices have dropped

Platinum WAS $110.00 NOW $69.00*
Gold WAS $80.00 NOW $52.00*
Silver WAS $70.00 NOW $45.00*
Bronze WAS $55.00 NOW $39.00*

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
ticket sales must be going well then?

Will they be refunding those who bought at the higher price?

I think they will be lucky to get 20k people there. They'll probably be pretty happy if they get close to that. They won't be refunding people who paid full price.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think they will be lucky to get 20k people there. They'll probably be pretty happy if they get close to that. They won't be refunding people who paid full price.

I'm one of those but we're in the cheap seats behind the sticks and I can assure you that's not where we'll be sitting.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm one of those but we're in the cheap seats behind the sticks and I can assure you that's not where we'll be sitting.

I bought gold seats at full price. We'll move up to the platinum seats as well assuming there is a relatively small crowd there.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reg I can't help but think that you've missed the point and really overthought this entire Barbarians week.

You said you "question this whole match and it's relevance to what Australian Rugby is trying to achieve". For me, it's quite simple: fan engagement.

People have been suggesting a Possibles vs. Probables match for ages, and this is essentially what it is. The fringe vs. the next tier. It's absurd to think that the ARU / Cheika would risk locked-in Wallabies for this game, and it's absurd to think that someone like Sio, TPN, Kepu, Coleman, Hooper, McMahon, Genia, Foley etc. would lose their Wallabies spot over a poor performance in an exhibition match like this.

It's not absurd to think that a strong performance from a Barbarians player might cause him to leapfrog his fringe-equivalent within the Wallabies squad. That's a lot to play for, and I'm hoping we see that reflected on Saturday with some skillful and aggressive Rugby.

It's supposed to be fun, light entertainment and it's precisely what it will be. Obviously there is a financial motive but that, in itself, doesn't detract from the occasion - it explains why its happening, but not the what and how of how it will play out. Nitpicking about the lack of international players in a true Barbarians team is understandable but NZ have just sent two squads on tour (a massive amount of players), and club competitions are in full swing across the globe.

And then on your issue with the Classic Wallabies branding - I get it - it wasn't a full 23 of Classic Wallabies (and some of the 'Classic Wallabies' never actually played for the Wallabies). But then again, will we ever find a full 23 of ex-Pros aged 35 and above, who are fit enough and medically cleared to play against professional 20-somethings?

Will we ever find a 23 of ex-Pros aged 35 and above, who are fit enough and medically cleared to play against professional 20-somethings WHO ARE THEN AVAILABLE to play in Lismore on the 24th of October 2017 for seemingly no benefit to themselves?

Probably not. But then what do we call a team with 8 30+ year old ex-professionals playing an exhibition match for charity against current professionals?

"Some old farts who used to be good with a smattering of youth"? Doesn't have the same ring to it and the message, the key offering of the event, is lost on fans.

As it turns out, the old farts below didn't do too badly against the youth of today. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for Saturday.

Freier - 37
Samo - 41
Phibbs - 36
Mitchell - 33
Turinui - 35
Tuqiri - 38
Sheehan - 38
Gilbert - 30

"People have been suggesting a Possibles vs. Probables match for ages" I do agree that I for one been wanting to see a probables vs possibles match up for some time so got this in quasi way with some old classic wallabies in the mix for an extra bit of fun..... I actually enjoyed it but moreso as was close game.

T

TOCC

theres nothing wrong with possible vs probable matches or games against barbarians, just don't do it during another competition like the NRC especially in the final round when finals qualification is on the line.

T

TOCC

In the interview with Duncan Paia’aua on rugby.com.au, he even says he prefers to play 12 but ‘they’ are looking at playing as a 10..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't think that the 10/12 combination dual playmaker thing is about having a 10 and a 12, it's about having a 10 who can play 12 and a 12 who can play 10. So this whole exercise is probably about giving him some exposure at 10, not about cementing that to be his future starting spot.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wallabies team to take on the Barbarians

1. Tom Robertson (NSW Waratahs)

2. Jordan Uelese (Melbourne Rebels)

3. Allan Ala'alatoa (vc) (Brumbies)

4. Rory Arnold (Brumbies)

5. Lukhan Tui (Queensland Reds)

6. Ned Hanigan (NSW Waratahs)

7. Jack Dempsey (NSW Waratahs)

8. Lopeti Timani (Melbourne Rebels)

9. Nick Phipps (c) (NSW Waratahs)

10. Duncan Paia'aua (Queensland Reds)

11. Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs)

12. Billy Meakes (Western Force)

13. Samu Kerevi (vc) (Queensland Reds)

14. Henry Speight (Brumbies)

15. Karmichael Hunt (Queensland Reds)

Reserves

16. Stephen Moore (Queensland Reds)

17. Tetera Faulkner (Melbourne Rebels)

18. Jermaine Ainsley (Melbourne Rebels)

19. Kane Douglas (Queensland Reds)

20. Ben McCalman (Western Force)

21. Joe Powell (Brumbies)

22. Curtis Rona (Western Force)

23. Izaia Perese (Queensland Reds)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
interesting assignment of teams there. Ainsley and Faulkner are Rebels already.

Meakes and co still Force.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mike Ala'alatoa sought permission from the Crusaders to play for the Barbarians after Fa'agase was injured but got denid.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
That forward pack has 78 caps between them, must be our most inexperienced 1-8 we've ever put out. I'd wager less than half those caps would be from starting positions too.

Uelese to be forwards captain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.