• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barbarians Australian Tour 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That forward pack has 78 caps between them, must be our most inexperienced 1-8 we've ever put out. I'd wager less than half those caps would be from starting positions too.

Uelese to be forwards captain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ala'alatoa is one of the two vice captains in the team.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
That forward pack has 78 caps between them, must be our most inexperienced 1-8 we've ever put out. I'd wager less than half those caps would be from starting positions too.

you'd think 6A's

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
theres nothing wrong with possible vs probable matches or games against barbarians, just don't do it during another competition like the NRC especially in the final round when finals qualification is on the line.

Funnily enough, I was thinking yesterday about the old North Harbour vs South Harbour games. You are probably too young to remember them, but they were pretty enjoyable. Given that there were two levels, just about every first grade player got a game!

The first encounters I can remember, North Harbour was composed of Norths, Gordon, Manly, Eastwood and Parramatta, South Harbour was Sydney Uni, Randwick, Easts, Drummoyne and St George.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'd say it's to keep him out of the thick of things.

Looks like Israel has been relegated to a promotional role on the wing to put bums on seats. Strange to see him listed at 11 though, he's a right winger not a left winger.
A pretty obvious indication that Hunt is the frontrunner for fullback on the Spring tour....

I'd say you're right, Cheika must have felt strange not penciling in Folau as his 15 though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

it's not a capped game so number of caps not really relevant is it? IT's a game about providing opportunities (and fan engagement of course....) Ala'alatoa is vice captain.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Looks like Israel has been relegated to a promotional role on the wing to put bums on seats. Strange to see him listed at 11 though, he's a right winger not a left winger.

I'd say you're right, Cheika must have felt strange not penciling in Folau as his 15 though.
The backs will be lining up in so many different positions in this game they shouldn't even assign numbers to them

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Giving this some more thought I immediately thought of that famous 1989 tour of France when Timmy Horan and Jason Little first played tests together and the match after Tim, Kearns and Daly debuted v the ABs. We had a famous victory in the first test v the French with Campo, Noddy and NFJ the only real veterans. On that day the forward pack started that game with just 23 caps: 8 Tim Gavin (5 tests) 7 Brendan Nasser (debut) 6 David Carter (3 tests) 5 Rod McCall (debut) 4 Peter FitzSimons (debut) 3 Mark Hartil (13 tests) 2 Phil Kearns (1 test) 1 Tony Daly (1 test) The next year we had a few more low capped packs, but none that matched the above. We played the Frogs again at Ballymore when Serge Blanco scored one of the great individual tries, and the pack had just 26 caps. 8 Gavin (8) 7 Scott-Young (debut) 6 Nasser (3) 5 McCall (3) 4 FitzSimons (3) 3 McKenzie (1) 2 Kearns (4) 1 Daly (1)

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Barbarians to take on the Wallabies

1 Pekahou Cowan (Force & Australia)

2 Andrew Ready (Reds)

3 Taniela Tupou (Reds)

4 Luke Jones (Bordeaux Begles & Australia)

5 Sam Carter (Brumbies & Australia)

6 Isi Naisarani (Force)

7 Matt Hodgson (Force & Australia, vice-captain)

8 Wycliff Palu (Toyota Verblitz & Australia)

9 Augustine Pulu (Blues & New Zealand)

10 Quade Cooper (Reds & Australia, captain)

11 Eto Nabuli (Reds & Australia)going h

12 George Moala (Blues & New Zealand)

13 Tom Banks (Brumbies)
14 Taqele Naiyaravoro (Waratahs & Australia)

15. Nanai-Williams (Chiefs & Samoa)

Reserves

16 Anaru Rangi (Force)

17 Ben Alexander (Brumbies & Australia)

18 Salesi Manu (Bond)

19 Matt Philip (Force)

20 Kane Koteka (Force)

21 Theo Strang (Sydney University)

22 Sam Greene (Toyota Verblitz)

23 Andrew Kellaway (Waratahs)

24th man: Sam Ward (Warringah)

Pretty strong looking XV, has Banks played much at 13?

T

TOCC

Looks like the Barbarians had a surplus of outside backs and just tried to squeeze them all into the backline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Banks at 13 huh?

It's a bit disappointing he's not going to be matched up against Hunt as a potential backup 15 for the Spring tour......... It will be interesting to see how he goes though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rory Arnold is out. Douglas starting and Liam Wright onto the bench.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.