• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Barbarians Australian Tour 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Suprising amount of Scots College Old Boys in this, 6. Max Girdler (Warringah) 11. Andrew Kellaway (Waratahs) 12. David Horwitz (Rebels)

When Wellington gets on do you have any info/thoughts on where he will be playing? I know he was a Sean McMahon style backrower last year but I seem to recall him playing in the centres in Scots 2s in 2016. He's listed as 23 so perhaps utility cover?

ShortBall

Frank Row (1)
When Wellington gets on do you have any info/thoughts on where he will be playing? I know he was a Sean McMahon style backrower last year but I seem to recall him playing in the centres in Scots 2s in 2016. He's listed as 23 so perhaps utility cover?

He definitely can fit into the back row and additionally hit the running lines of an outside centre or winger

T

TOCC

anyone watching this Classic Wallabies game?
I’m not sure whether I actually care about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
A lot of those 'Classic Wallabies' look like they've spent a fair amount of time in the top paddock

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Classic Wallabies almost showed some of the younger fellas how it was done. Nice to see the Hoff not bothering with the whistle too much and just letting the boys play.

something

Jim Clark (26)
That was actually a really fun game to watch. From the classics Radike was my standout, played 70mins and put on countless big hits. Also Tuqiri & Brett Sheehan were fun to watch.

For baabaas Banks was decent at the back. MoTM was Sam Greene in my opinion, scored a double and no errors (although 10 min period where the streaming stopped)

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
That was actually a really fun game to watch. From the classics Radike was my standout, played 70mins and put on countless big hits. Also Tuqiri & Brett Sheehan were fun to watch.

For baabaas Banks was decent at the back. MoTM was Sam Greene in my opinion, scored a double and no errors (although 10 min period where the streaming stopped)

Mrs Doug and I really enjoyed that match also. I'm so sorry that RugbyReg doesn't like the concept or the team make-up. Maybe Reg has never been exposed to 'fair dinkum, grass roots country Rugby'! (His loss)! Fantastic 'spirit', no kicking, no animosity, and plenty of power-running!! If only all rugby matches were played in that manner. Great cause (the Lismore flood appeal), great promotion of Rugby, and great crowd! Well done ARU. Looking forward to Saturday's match! .......................... go AJ's Baa Baas!!!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mrs Doug and I really enjoyed that match also. I'm so sorry that RugbyReg doesn't like the concept or the team make-up. Maybe Reg has never been exposed to 'fair dinkum, grass roots country Rugby'! (His loss)! Fantastic 'spirit', no kicking, no animosity, and plenty of power-running!! If only all rugby matches were played in that manner. Great cause (the Lismore flood appeal), great promotion of Rugby, and great crowd! Well done ARU. Looking forward to Saturday's match! .......... go AJ's Baa Baas!!!

Don't worry. Rugby Reg has had plenty of exposure to fair dinkum grass roots country rugby. My issue is more with Saturday's game on many levels. My issue with this one is that the Classic Wallabies team has a number of players not ever Wallabies. It's a minor quibble, and more a branding thing, but when you have the Aussie Barbarians thing (with the myrtle jersey) that seems the more appropriate team for this. I never had an issue with the regional venue and have been supportive of the Lismore Flood cause having a strong personal connection to the region. Nice attempt though Doug.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I enjoyed the classic wallabies vs Baa Baas.....entertaining game and much closer than

Enjoyable game and much closer than expected. I think the Classic Wallabies with mix of old retired vs youth and still playing is good mix and playing against a Baa Baa's team actually sorta works for something regional like this.

i

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
We need to get this guy back from Japan.

Sign him up for Twiggyball. :)
Hopefully he caught the attention of some of the Wallabies coaching setup. Shame he could never get a proper gig for the Reds, offers so much more than Mcintyre.

T

TOCC

Chance Peni to miss the game, banned for 4 weeks over head high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Suprising amount of Scots College Old Boys in this, 6. Max Girdler (Warringah) 11. Andrew Kellaway (Waratahs) 12. David Horwitz (Rebels) Good to see these to link up again like 2012
Plus Sam Carter from 2006/7. Plus AJ's assistant coach, Brian Smith is the current Scots coach.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Reg I can't help but think that you've missed the point and really overthought this entire Barbarians week.

You said you "question this whole match and it's relevance to what Australian Rugby is trying to achieve". For me, it's quite simple: fan engagement.

People have been suggesting a Possibles vs. Probables match for ages, and this is essentially what it is. The fringe vs. the next tier. It's absurd to think that the ARU / Cheika would risk locked-in Wallabies for this game, and it's absurd to think that someone like Sio, TPN, Kepu, Coleman, Hooper, McMahon, Genia, Foley etc. would lose their Wallabies spot over a poor performance in an exhibition match like this.

It's not absurd to think that a strong performance from a Barbarians player might cause him to leapfrog his fringe-equivalent within the Wallabies squad. That's a lot to play for, and I'm hoping we see that reflected on Saturday with some skillful and aggressive Rugby.

It's supposed to be fun, light entertainment and it's precisely what it will be. Obviously there is a financial motive but that, in itself, doesn't detract from the occasion - it explains why its happening, but not the what and how of how it will play out. Nitpicking about the lack of international players in a true Barbarians team is understandable but NZ have just sent two squads on tour (a massive amount of players), and club competitions are in full swing across the globe.

And then on your issue with the Classic Wallabies branding - I get it - it wasn't a full 23 of Classic Wallabies (and some of the 'Classic Wallabies' never actually played for the Wallabies). But then again, will we ever find a full 23 of ex-Pros aged 35 and above, who are fit enough and medically cleared to play against professional 20-somethings?

Will we ever find a 23 of ex-Pros aged 35 and above, who are fit enough and medically cleared to play against professional 20-somethings WHO ARE THEN AVAILABLE to play in Lismore on the 24th of October 2017 for seemingly no benefit to themselves?

Probably not. But then what do we call a team with 8 30+ year old ex-professionals playing an exhibition match for charity against current professionals?

"Some old farts who used to be good with a smattering of youth"? Doesn't have the same ring to it and the message, the key offering of the event, is lost on fans.

As it turns out, the old farts below didn't do too badly against the youth of today. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for Saturday.

Freier - 37
Samo - 41
Phibbs - 36
Mitchell - 33
Turinui - 35
Tuqiri - 38
Sheehan - 38
Gilbert - 30

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I get it - it wasn't a full 23 of Classic Wallabies (and some of the 'Classic Wallabies' never actually played for the Wallabies).

Yeah, the Classics have always had ring-ins. Rugby league players who never played for the Wallabies, and so on. Hell, even Gordon Bray got a cap back in the day for the Bermuda Classic in 1990. Admittedly he would have been 40.

But a few under 30s for a charity event is okay. The Baabaas have the odd uncapped player. These guys can too.

I think Reg's main beef is in the timing of the Saturday novelty match and the fact it rips the talent out of the NRC just as teams are trying to consolidate the semifinal places.

And that's fair enough.

I used to really get into the NRC in previous years too but the shittiness of rugby administration all round has made the care factor go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.