• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the Blood Red: Lions v Queensland Reds 8th June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Great game, 22-12 Lions.
Reds should have been closer but missed crucial kicks along the way. The ref was pretty ordinary, not biased, just missed a lot. Played in good spirits though, nothing cynical despite injuries.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Quade Cooper had a few amazing flat passes putting players into space. That said he sucked big time. How much pressure do you want to put your team under because you have ADD.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The dominance of the Lions lineout and scrum was the big difference I'd say.

Reds lost a few of their own crucial lineout throws and struggled in the first half on their scrums before Daley was subbed.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
My dot point take on the game.

Lions conceded the ruck area for the first 60 minutes
Lions scrum was solid
Lions lineout was ok, capitalised on Reds mistakes.
Cooper didn't threaten
Robinson is a tough mofo
Morahan had a cracker
Lions need a fair bit of improvement
Lions were sluggish in first 30 minutes - that would lose them a test

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That POC was the same as the Taps earlier call, but other way. 50/50 call, bad luck Reds.

By the way, I'm sure that Jackson surely isn't everyone's favourite ref after that woeful forward pass call. The guy was 50m across field and still should have seen it went back.

Reds were unlucky.

One 50/50 call went there way. About 5-6 went the Lions way.

The forward pass one wasn't a 50/50, it was just plain wrong.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pretty sure I saw lance on the field?

Didn't see him, but I assume he came on at fullback when Frisby was subbed off. I would be shocked if McKenzie didn't clear his bench to give them all a go.

Regarding Cooper, I wouldn't say he didn't threaten. His passes created massive headaches for the Lions. You just got the usual bag - a couple of errors (couple forward passes, ironically only one that wasn't forward called, missed kick for touch, a pass to no-one, the odd aimless kick), combined with the sweetly timed wide and short passes that created quite a few breaks, and some great tactical kicks when he chose to do it.

People seem to expect Cooper to do everything, and when he doesn't he is poor.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think I have the solution for the wallabies flyhalf.

Switch from an attacking to defensive flyhalf.

Cooper in the attacking 50 and JOC (James O'Connor) in the defensive 50.

Allows cooper to use his attacking flare when it is needed and JOC (James O'Connor) to still use his counter attacking running from kicks.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2 tries to 1 to the Reds. 5 Penalties to O Ferrell.

Discipline lapses cost the Reds.

The missed kicks at goal wouldn't have won them the game but would have got them closer.

The B&I Lions sent a message to the Wobs tonight regarding their ability to dominate Lineouts, Scrums, and converting Penalties to 3 points.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think I have the solution for the wallabies flyhalf.

Switch from an attacking to defensive flyhalf.

Cooper in the attacking 50 and JOC (James O'Connor) in the defensive 50.

Allows cooper to use his attacking flare when it is needed and JOC (James O'Connor) to still use his counter attacking running from kicks.

Why? 90% of Quade's criticism has nothing to do with his defence.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
..........Regarding Cooper, I wouldn't say he didn't threaten. His passes created massive headaches for the Lions. You just got the usual bag - a couple of errors (couple forward passes, ironically only one that wasn't forward called, missed kick for touch, a pass to no-one, the odd aimless kick), combined with the sweetly timed wide and short passes that created quite a few breaks, and some great tactical kicks when he chose to do it.

People seem to expect Cooper to do everything, and when he doesn't he is poor.

I'm a fan of the man, but I think the issue is that an international team can't afford a 5/8 who has a couple of forward passes, missed kick for touch, pass to no-one etc. It just places the team under too much pressure. Wish he could just nail some big games.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Luke Morahan - MOM

Agree. Link dropped the ball, should have moved him to 15 and Lucas to 9. Made more sense when the planbwas to run at all costs.

Edit: thanks for biting on the earlier comment, was expecting a Force fan or two.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm a fan of the man, but I think the issue is that an international team can't afford a 5/8 who has a couple of forward passes, missed kick for touch, pass to no-one etc. It just places the team under too much pressure. Wish he could just nail some big games.

Agree. The pass to no-one is maybe the forgiveable one as it may not have been his fault, but the kick for touch is a forward and coach killer. I actually think that Quade is not too far off, his maturity is increasing.

Just reacting to the "Quade was shit" and "Quade didn't threaten" posts.

Lately there's been a focus on the errors and denial about anything else for a few posters.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I put Quade in the same basket as Campo. The crowd loves him, the opposition fear him, but the coach is perplexed by him. Quade and Campo are the sort of guys that over the length of their test careers will win you 10 games but lose you 5. Not sure my heart can deal with the 5 lost ones.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agree. Link dropped the ball, should have moved him to 15 and Lucas to 9. Made more sense when the planbwas to run at all costs.

Edit: thanks for biting on the earlier comment, was expecting a Force fan or two.

But I got no return bites.:( Maybe I was too subtle?:)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Because running rugby is good rugby. As a bulls supporter you might find that hard to understand.

Yes I watch no rugby but Bulls rugby at all. Especially for the 20 years I lived out of SA I made sure I never ever watch a game unless the Bulls play so I really have nothing to go on. All I watch is Bulls replays.

Running around in your own half? You can have it. If Cooper had steered you out of your half you would have been a real chance.

I reckon the game plan the Reds play was a good one but to think you are going to run over an international side from your own line is somehwere between naive and stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom