• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the Blood Red: Lions v Queensland Reds 8th June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Do you think that warrants for a more attacking game plan? Whether that includes Quade or not, it doesn't matter. But surely we need to realise this will require tries, not penalties to win??

Great review btw. Great to have an objective view on the polariser's performance. I do believe he showed he can unlock the Lions defence though.
Controlled attack. If it's too fast and loose, the Lions will do an All Blacks on us, capitalising on counter-attacking options (which they have) and using field position. But yeah, I think there have been enough clues in the last 2 games as to where they can be attacked.
I think Cooper would be the best attacking option at 10 for us. But I do see why Deans does not want him, while not necessarily agreeing with it. I doubt Deans' opinion has been changed tonight, unfortunately for Quade.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Controlled attack. If it's too fast and loose, the Lions will do an All Blacks on us, capitalising on counter-attacking options (which they have) and using field position. But yeah, I think there have been enough clues in the last 2 games as to where they can be attacked.
I think Cooper would be the best attacking option at 10 for us. But I do see why Deans does not want him, while not necessarily agreeing with it. I doubt Deans' opinion has been changed tonight, unfortunately for Quade.

Agreed, tonight was obviously not the way you would play a test match against them. But toned down with a successful test piece, good skipper and goal kicker in barnes, JOC (James O'Connor), or lilo would have seen them really scare the Lions I think. It's all a question of whether Quade has gotten past his pressure issues of 2011. I personally think it is worth the shot but after getting over initial bias I can see that you'd be worried he'd collapse.

This all requires a bit of risk taking by Dingo and I don't get why he doesn't give it a shot? There is greater chance that he will lose his job at the end of this year than keep it and playing a style like he did against Wales may just put the nail in the coffin. If I was him I'd try everything to convince Pulver that he can coach a successful and exciting rugby team and prove all of us haters wrong.

I guess it just adds to the fact that we don't know whats going on inside his head.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Did anyone else think that the Reds crowd really took it up a notch? It was going off down there. I thought a few times we drowned out the Lions fans. Probably won't be able to do it in the test but still. Great turn out, great noise.

As much as I hate We are Red as what I feel is a meaningless chant, I thought it was used really well in response tonight, particularly because the crowd fired up by themselves. And it had some meaning because both teams wore red, hence it was our claim to the colour

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
Ben Tapuai's defence was a shambles at times - three major misreads put us in nasty situations. He needs to improve his defence at 13... had the same issues playing in gold vs England on the EOYT last year.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Ben Tapuai's defence was a shambles at times - three major misreads put us in nasty situations. He needs to improve his defence at 13. had the same issues playing in gold vs England on the EOYT last year.
He's a better 12 but so, unfortunately, is Fainga'a. I think the Reds centres work better the way the were tonight. That means Ben has some work to do!

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
One thing I know if Farrell ever must start at 10 for the Lions or are forced to they are royal e screwed. He is not good enough to wear that shirt

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Just got home from the game. Man that was so much fun! The Reds had a red hot crack and although a few times there I just wanted them to kick for just a little bit of field position I really didn't mind.
Possibly the best thing out of that game was the Reds cover defence! Holy shit the boys saved some tries!
The Lions crowd was vocal but the Reds crowd smashed them. A few times the, "Lions Lions Lions Lions....." chant went up and was soon absolutely drowned out by the "We are RED" chant. And without the rev up guy to get anyone going!
Shame about the weather but so stoked that the boys chanced their arm and played some footy. I know the Lions had everything to lose and had to secure the win but they could've run it a bit more! ;-)
Lastly, this is a Reds vs Lions thread. There should be fuck all mention of Deans or Quade's test ability. This thread should simply be all about a fucking entertaining game of footy played in great spirits.
Go you REDS! Fucking did us proud lads! So much fun!!

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I will not have a voice tomorrow. Probably for the better with ~24 hours of flight time ahead of me. It's been a blast Australia, thank you for having me.

Won't be forgetting you any time soon.

Oh and quick something I picked up about the game, Reds were aligning to attack Cuthbert a few times. Guess I'm not the only person who thinks his defense is shit ;)

Sadly the set piece failed us but there were a few times where Cooper was aligned in the 14/15 channel with either Moz or Davies outside on our own throw/feed. Pretty obvious what the intention was there.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A fantastic game of rugby - if all professional games could be played at that intensity with that sort of positive intent, the other rugby code would be gone in a decade.

Probably in the end it came down to the fact that the Reds couldn't get quality ball from scrums and lineouts.

Well done Reds, you might not have won the game, but you did yourselves proud.

Also well done to the referee who let the game flow, but acted decisively when needed. I also hope that all super referees are shown a video - a wet slippery night with one scrum dominant and not one scrum reset! Play on, penalty or free kick and let's get on with the game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yes - a game that managed to combine strong set piece (from one side) and an intent to really use the ball (from the other side) plus good counter attack and frenetic ruck work (from both sides).

Showcasing all the skills and elements that rugby has to offer in the same game!

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Ben Tapuai's defence was a shambles at times - three major misreads put us in nasty situations. He needs to improve his defence at 13. had the same issues playing in gold vs England on the EOYT last year.

Thanks quade for making taps miss tackles.

Sorry armat, nothing on you, I agree. Just could not resist the dig at Dingo.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
He's a better 12 but so, unfortunately, is Fainga'a. I think the Reds centres work better the way the were tonight. That means Ben has some work to do!

I thought the backs got some sting in them when aussie mike came on.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
brave brave effort boys well done! If a few passes stuck and cooper kicked a little bit more intelligently from our 22 you never know but thats quade.... anyway you have made me very proud!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
While there were weaknesses in the Lions exposed last night, it would be foolish to expect them to be there in the Tests.

The Lions are using the provincial games as trials for their combinations and tactics, and to select/confirm their Test 23.

At best we can assume that Individuals in the Lions will not improve on their deficiencies before Test time, but weaknesses in their tactics and combinations will be reduced as they have more time together over coming weeks.

That was a cracker of a game from both teams. Never got the feeling that the Reds would win but they gave it an almighty go.

B&I Lions Team Rehab Selectors reported to be happy with the calibre of their recent recruits.
B&I Lions selectors not so happy with exodus to Team Rehab.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Personally enjoyed the game, though to be fair I said to wife I wouldn't actually want to watch the Reds or anyone play that style every week, I find it all a tad tedious after awhile. Still good idea to play against a touring team like this, entertains the crowd a bit, and certainly early in tour can make their defence scramble a bit. Like I said good to watch, thought the Reds went well, disrupted Lions patterns and gave it a good shot. Lions look like they got some good players, and will play within their structures pretty well I think come test time.

Status
Not open for further replies.