• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the Blood Red: Lions v Queensland Reds 8th June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Just a sensational night. Really proud of our boys. Sat in the nose bleeds at Suncorp and am now convinced there is not a bad view at that ground. Just sensational and won't be paying for platinum seats again. The Lions touring party fellas were fantastic blokes. The blokes behind us at the game and the blokes I had a beer with at the Caxton on Friday afternoon. Really good sports and actually very knowledgable on Southern Hemisphere rugby. To the Caxton for wanting $69 per head for a set menu dinner, get f#$ked I say to you. For the record the little PCYC cafe at Suncorp does a mean steak sandwich.

Did dinner at the Breaky Ck hotel on Thursday which was fantastic and did the Norman on Friday night which was just as good. Conquered the kilo rump and now have my name on the wall at the Norman. :)

Just a sensational trip down with the boys and will be looking to do it again.

Ruggo, have you ever been to a game on an empty stomach?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
After watching game and having a bit of a think, I wonder if Link is not a bit shrewder than we all think. He knows the selection or not of QC (Quade Cooper) is a huge debate around Oz, and ties in with Deans job etc etc. If Quade is playing to Links plan, is he really telling him to play exactly opposite to what Deans wants, ie; not defending in front line, not worrying about where you throw loopy passes etc. You would of thought if he really wanted him in Wallabies, he would of maybe said, Quade old mate, just for this game show them you can defend in front line, show them you can make good decisions when to attack etc.......
Food for thought?:rolleyes:

convenient wisdom

Allen Oxlade (6)
the reds lon passing and cross kicking for wingers only works in your own half against a narrow defence with defending wingers back waiting for the expected kick. once the reds get down to the attacking end, the wingers are up, and the defence is wide9 and sliding. so whilst to many this idea of chucking it about in your own end is a violation of some kind of sacred order, it makes more sense then kicking for territory, especially on Saturday when we could not win a lineout, and we could not seem to tackle the counter attackers. ewan mckenzie and the reds are the embodiment of anti-rugby, but what the hell, i love it !!!

Taffy

Frank Row (1)
What a great night of rugby Reds v Lions had more twists and turns than a Dan Brown novel rugby and hard physical gladiator style

Fantastic try from mozzie best seen for long time by any die hard supporter really enjoyed

However was disappointed by the Bo Bo reds supporters when it was about the kicking and taking the points common sense decisions

If I hear one more run it only and play pretty rugby from the princess romantics going to recommend brain transplant to all concerned

Have always said better a ugly win than a pretty loss sure we all enjoy tries however pass the ugly stick around people

Looking forward to a great Wallabies v Lions test match up at Suncorp in 2 weeks and look forward to the friendly banter from everyone so be warned you Princesses bo bo supporters hope you don't have seat next to me the ugly sister from the Cinderella rugby community

convenient wisdom

Allen Oxlade (6)
What a great night of rugby Reds v Lions had more twists and turns than a Dan Brown novel rugby and hard physical gladiator style

Fantastic try from mozzie best seen for long time by any die hard supporter really enjoyed

However was disappointed by the Bo Bo reds supporters when it was about the kicking and taking the points common sense decisions

If I hear one more run it only and play pretty rugby from the princess romantics going to recommend brain transplant to all concerned

Have always said better a ugly win than a pretty loss sure we all enjoy tries however pass the ugly stick around people

Looking forward to a great Wallabies v Lions test match up at Suncorp in 2 weeks and look forward to the friendly banter from everyone so be warned you Princesses bo bo supporters hope you don't have seat next to me the ugly sister from the Cinderella rugby community
Taffy I know what you are saying - better an ugly win than a pretty loss.................but times are a changing here in Australia. We have a financially buggered code competing with 3 others in a relatively small market. Unlike the UK, we dont have a big population so every extra percent of interest we can wring out of the game is critical. Unlike NZ we dont have a mortgage on the nations consciousness. We have to put out something that people, who are not rusty and crusty old diehards like most of us, will want to watch and pay for the privilege.

My teenage sons and their mates have come into their age of "rugby Awakening" co incident with the Reds rise and that style is what they know as rugby. It is such a joy to Mrs Wisdom and i to have them over to enthusiastically watch the games and their generation dont seem to care too much about the result, as long as the reds gave it a good crack and entertained us all.These people are the future market, not us..(sadly).

The Same lads (sons and their mates) last year swithched off the 4 nations games usually by half time. !! Maybe that reflects a generational lack of patience ..I dont know... but what I do know is if this game is going to survive for another 130 years, teams have to make people love them, and follow them win or lose... The reds are succeeding at the moment in this area, full stadiums most weeks, and happy faces mostly even after a "pretty loss" like last week.. The waratahs can win ugly (to be fair they are getting better) , and still have half empty stadiums of disgruntled fans craving more !

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Taffy I know what you are saying - better an ugly win than a pretty loss.......but times are a changing here in Australia. We have a financially buggered code competing with 3 others in a relatively small market. Unlike the UK, we dont have a big population so every extra percent of interest we can wring out of the game is critical. Unlike NZ we dont have a mortgage on the nations consciousness. We have to put out something that people, who are not rusty and crusty old diehards like most of us, will want to watch and pay for the privilege.

My teenage sons and their mates have come into their age of "rugby Awakening" co incident with the Reds rise and that style is what they know as rugby. It is such a joy to Mrs Wisdom and i to have them over to enthusiastically watch the games and their generation dont seem to care too much about the result, as long as the reds gave it a good crack and entertained us all.These people are the future market, not us..(sadly).

The Same lads (sons and their mates) last year swithched off the 4 nations games usually by half time. !! Maybe that reflects a generational lack of patience ..I dont know. but what I do know is if this game is going to survive for another 130 years, teams have to make people love them, and follow them win or lose. The reds are succeeding at the moment in this area, full stadiums most weeks, and happy faces mostly even after a "pretty loss" like last week.. The waratahs can win ugly (to be fair they are getting better) , and still have half empty stadiums of disgruntled fans craving more !

That is so good it's worth some sort of award like:

"An Outstanding Post that Captures the Big Picture Reality of Australian Rugby in 2013 vs the Narrow View of Code Fanatics that Demand 'Pure Rugby' Even if the Consequences are Bankruptcy and Code Death."

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
That is so good it's worth some sort of award like:

"An Outstanding Post that Captures the Big Picture Reality of Australian Rugby in 2013 vs the Narrow View of Code Fanatics that Demand 'Pure Rugby' Even if the Consequences are Bankruptcy and Code Death."

Absolutely! I just hope that Saturday's game was seen by a decent television audience, here and overseas. I know it wasn't faultless, but if we had more matches like that, the code would be a lot better off, particularly in this country.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I see what you saying CV, and it great the game has grabbed your boys attention for awhile, but I would put money on fact if they kept watching Reds or whoever play with panache etc and not winning, they may switch off again. Whilst as I say love to hear about boys getting into game, you really described what is around all sports, partime supporters?? I tend to think the game needs to also hold onto us crusty old buggers or will disappear fairly quickly when things aren't going to plan. In saying that as I said great game to watch, not sure I could be bothered watching all rugby if it was played like that ALL the time.

Taffy

Frank Row (1)
Taffy I know what you are saying - better an ugly win than a pretty loss.......but times are a changing here in Australia. We have a financially buggered code competing with 3 others in a relatively small market. Unlike the UK, we dont have a big population so every extra percent of interest we can wring out of the game is critical. Unlike NZ we dont have a mortgage on the nations consciousness. We have to put out something that people, who are not rusty and crusty old diehards like most of us, will want to watch and pay for the privilege.

The Same lads (sons and their mates) last year swithched off the 4 nations games usually by half time. !! Maybe that reflects a generational lack of patience ..I dont know. but what I do know is if this game is going to survive for another 130 years, teams have to make people love them, and follow them win or lose. The reds are succeeding at the moment in this area, full stadiums most weeks, and happy faces mostly even after a "pretty loss" like last week.. The waratahs can win ugly (to be fair they are getting better) , and still have half empty stadiums of disgruntled fans craving more !

Taffy

Frank Row (1)
Thanks CW although don't think you grasped my reply
a win is a win that's it yes sure your lads and mates like to see attacking rugby no different to me however don't think your lads will turn up week in week out if the attack only theory suicide and no wins on the board or trophies in the cabinet

the reds Defence was great and all-though they played some great rugby they also lost in the record books v Lions in 2013

not sure if you watched the game through the mist when mr Harris missed a kick in later stage of match no tap and go there he also was the man who kicked the late pen to win the match and Test series v Wales

now thats my point common sense rugby and the balance of excitement and victory

So all those rugby players out there keep up the practise in rain or shine in case you are needed to punish errors and keep the scoreboard ticking over for a win on the rugby stage

as for the battle of codes and finance have been involved in OZ for long time in rugby community and realise we are in trouble on the finance aspect however the people who were involved in that we're the administration of the Game have look at Scott Alan's recent blog on the ARU Report that's a eye opener

So as a fellow reds supporter was very pleased of the way they stuck it to the lions and for the record my country of birth is Wales who have played very up tempo attacking rugby for many years in the 4 then 5/6 nations and population of 3.5 million people

It seems you can take the Man out of Wales but not the Wales out of the Man chosen exile down under in a great country and love my rugby here in Queensland

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)

As far as I'm concerned, given the state of rugby in Australia at the moment, as well as the fact this game was a TOUR MATCH, didn't count for anything et al, the booing was more than justified, and in fact such was the Lions play I would have liked to see beverages flying onto the field in disgust at their lack of venture in the second half.

There were a few Lions fans around me that retorted when I whistled and booed and yelled out at them for taking penalty goals, apparently you have to remain absolutely silent whilst our little precious Owen takes an hour to line up his little pot.

If you don't play in the spirit of the game and run it in a tour match, It's more than Okay to boo. It's the same as cheating, like a cynical foul 5m out, or a high tackle.

The other thing that pissed me off was the medics piling onto the field in every stop in play.

New rule, you have 20 seconds to decide if you are injured or right to play, if you are right to play, get up and play, if you are not, get off. It's an appauling tactic to slow the game down and the worst kind of sportsmanship there is to bring medics onto the field looking for some non-existent problem. The only exception is head knocks and neck injuries / clearly if the player has done something very bad i.e. broken his leg.

More booing of bad play, more roaring for attacking play. Get the crap out of the game

Taffy

Frank Row (1)
As far as I'm concerned, given the state of rugby in Australia at the moment, as well as the fact this game was a TOUR MATCH, didn't count for anything et al, the booing was more than justified, and in fact such was the Lions play I would have liked to see beverages flying onto the field in disgust at their lack of venture in the second half.

There were a few Lions fans around me that retorted when I whistled and booed and yelled out at them for taking penalty goals, apparently you have to remain absolutely silent whilst our little precious Owen takes an hour to line up his little pot.

If you don't play in the spirit of the game and run it in a tour match, It's more than Okay to boo. It's the same as cheating, like a cynical foul 5m out, or a high tackle.

The other thing that pissed me off was the medics piling onto the field in every stop in play.

New rule, you have 20 seconds to decide if you are injured or right to play, if you are right to play, get up and play, if you are not, get off. It's an appauling tactic to slow the game down and the worst kind of sportsmanship there is to bring medics onto the field looking for some non-existent problem. The only exception is head knocks and neck injuries / clearly if the player has done something very bad i.e. broken his leg.

More booing of bad play, more roaring for attacking play. Get the crap out of the game

Taffy

Frank Row (1)
In reply to the pearls of wisdom dished out from you and your version of the spirit of the game at the Reds v Lions feel a tad sorry for you

It is a bit warped to say the least if you think it's okay to boo and carry on like a pork chop and think it's normal we'll have found my perfect rugby role moron or sorry spell check role model lol

Anyway hope you enjoy the rest of the Lions tour and hopefully will not have the pleasure of sharing a seat in the same row as you for the first test v Wallabies if I do will have to bring my best behaviour and conflict resolution skills when trying to enjoy the big Game

On that point remember no one is bigger than the game so take a chill pill and try applauding and be a sportsman for a change M88 also realise you are entitled to your opinion and probably you voice yours very often if I was a betting man

Thanks for such a civilised reply and listen to the PA stadium warnings on behaviour of the sporting kind next time there at Suncorp before you spark something next to the rugby bloke there for the enjoyment not the comedy show from you Mr Boo Boo man

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
http://www.rugbystats.com.au/matches/rugby/match22450.html

Some interesting stats:
Shatz with 21 tackles, 3 missed, coupled with 11 runs for 27m. Huge effort.
Lydiate had 19 tackles, 2 missed, coupled with 6 runs for 14m.
Richie Gray in 63 minutes had 12 tackles, 1 missed, 4 runs for 14m.
Parling stole 4 balls at lineout time.

Morahan had 44 minutes, 5 tackles, 2 missed, 7 runs for 101m, 3 linebreaks, 1 try. Two of those tackles were try savers.

Regarding Cooper, it was all on show. Unfortunately, it is missing line break assists (I recall 3 - 2 with Morahan, 1 with Taps), but he had 11 runs for 91m (second in the Reds behind Morahan), 3 offloads, 4 tackles, 4 missed tackles, 2 turnovers, 7 rucks. Regarding rucks, Cooper got stuck in a few times on rewatch, but on defensive rucks close to his line seemed hesitant as he preferred not to commit.

Not a happy night on defence for a few Reds players.
Cooper: 4 tackles, 4 missed.
James Hanson: 8 tackles, 5 missed. (Plus 14 lineouts, 7 of which were lost.)
O'Donoghue: 10 tackles, 5 missed.
A. Finger 11 tackles, 6 missed.
Rod Daves: 3 tackles, 2 missed.
Nick Frisby: 2 tackles, 2 missed.

Owen Farrell chipped in with 9 tackles, 7 missed. Farrell also provided 4 turnovers, 1 offload and 1 line break.

Huge game from North off the bench. 6 runs for 127m, 2 line breaks in 65 minutes.

Some decent figures for a game that was raining for over half of it.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Ash Good coming up with the statistics for the match. Have you got the Lions? It was a shocking night in the rain and that seems to play a major role in making the modern jerseys slippery. If I recall correctly, the Lions had 32 missed tackles to the reds 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.