• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the Blood Red: Lions v Queensland Reds 8th June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Robbie deans would be a complete idiot if he did not look at this game and the squad he has and realise that he has the players to win this series.

Well, there's the big question. Brumbies, Reds and Waratahs are all having good seasons. In the case of Brumbies and Waratahs their best seasons in 5 or 6 years, Rebels and Force also have had their moments. At the professional level, Australian rugby is going well at the moment. Can RD turn this into a losing series? (if anyone can, he can):)

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Based on last night?? There's a lot of fresh air between Sexton and O'Ferrell but he's nowhere near as bad as people are making out. So what was it about last nights game that proved he would be such a disaster at Test rugby? Was it his kicking, his passing, his defence, his running? Did he "sit too deep"?
No not just last night or this morning depends where you stay around the world. Its his crab like movement running the centers into the pavilion and the wingers into the car park.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think that comment goes to the heart of the issue here. Cooper undoubtably over played his hand last night. There was one point in the 20th minute where he passed to no one and if it had not been for a mistake from the Lions player it would have been 7 points against the Reds.We cant afford that in the tests.

Cooper's long passing game would be an asset, but we have other guys that bring similar Skills. Will Genia for one has a beautiful long passing game, knows how to put his players into space, knows when to spread it wide, generally dictates play much better than cooper, whilst puts his players under pressure less often and throwing less forward passes.

We need to play a fast paced, dynamic game that revolves around Genia.

Edit: I'm not saying that I wouldn't have Cooper in my squad. I would. But the reality is he wont be playing in the tests. There are advantages and disadvantages to not picking cooper at 10.

Are we to play Genia at 10 or do you think his pass is so good he can get it straight to the wing from the base of the ruck? ;)

The Lions real weakness last night was the narrowness of the defense - a lot of space outside 13. There is no way we will be able to exlploit that is we play a combo like JOC (James O'Connor) and Horne.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Awesome game, I wont be deleting it for quite a while.

The big what if question for me is what if we had our full team? Could we have played the same game plan and would we have won?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If you are a coach/selector and you have a player like QC (Quade Cooper) you have a choice - 1) pick him, accept the brain snaps but believe that they are more than offset by his brilliance or, 2) decide that you for all he brings you don't think the brain snaps are worth it. He's a polarising personality and those who believe in choice 1 will never be convinced by those who believe in choice 2 and vice versa.

People shouldn't take the gloss off last night's brilliant match by turning it into the latest chapter of the Quade saga.

The Reds were very very good and Quade played his part - but I don't think that last night will change anyone's view.

Well done Reds and I hope that the Waratahs can put in a similar effort next Saturday.

Option 3 is to have the 'safe' player take control in the defensive 50 and the more attacking player take the reins in the attacking 50. Best of both worlds.

Think about all the errors you have seen from Quade - hardly any occur in the attacking 50.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Are we to play Genia at 10 or do you think his pass is so good he can get it straight to the wing from the base of the ruck? ;)

The Lions real weakness last night was the narrowness of the defense - a lot of space outside 13. There is no way we will be able to exlploit that is we play a combo like JOC (James O'Connor) and Horne.

How many tries to the Reds last night?
They didn't really exploit anything last night did they?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Option 3 is to have the 'safe' player take control in the defensive 50 and the more attacking player take the reins in the attacking 50. Best of both worlds.

Think about all the errors you have seen from Quade - hardly any occur in the attacking 50.

c'mon, He can't play at 10 without the ball,now your saying he can't play 10 with the ball in our 1/2.
Can't you see how limited that makes him?
Either play him at 10 all fucking day,or say he is too much of a risk to play him at all.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
c'mon, He can't play at 10 without the ball,now your saying he can't play 10 with the ball in our 1/2.
Can't you see how limited that makes him?
Either play him at 10 all fucking day,or say he is too much of a risk to play him at all.

Deans would never try anything that left field so its really not worth the discussion unfortunately... And yes I agree, play him at 10 all day because hes the best we have.

The reds score 2 tries with a collapsing set piece in wet conditions. They made 7 line breaks by going wide and making breaks on the wing and attacking the Lions in broken play rather than kicking it away. So yes, they did exploit something.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Another thing that struck me last night, was that in all the collisions - the Lions seemed to give more ground than the Reds

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
There's plenty of threads where you can argue about what Deans will or won't do and why Quade should or shouldn't be in the Test side. This is a game thread. Why don't we keep the chat related to the game?

Only just got to watch the game before. It was a much different game on TV to what I saw at the game. The most glaring difference was how the rain was barely noticeable on tv but at the game it was constant for most of the 2nd half. How both teams managed to throw it around as much as they did in those conditions was amazing.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Did anyone else notice Big Kev on the side line? He was on his feet yelling at every man and his dog for at least most of the second half. He lives and breathes QLD rugby. I have on occasion sensed he may be more passionate for the Red than Gold jersey, or at least carries a different sort of special affinity for the Red that in some aspects may surpass those he feels for the gold.

Sanchez was the waterboy and out with Frisby warming up before the game. He would have given anything to be allowed to play last night. There is definitely a passionate core of Reds. The best thing is they are only coming into the prime of their careers together.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Did anyone else notice Big Kev on the side line? He was on his feet yelling at every man and his dog for at least most of the second half. He lives and breathes QLD rugby. I have on occasion sensed he may be more passionate for the Red than Gold jersey, or at least carries a different sort of special affinity for the Red that in some aspects may surpass those he feels for the gold.
I thought Big Kev was about to rip his suit off to reveal a playing jumper underneath and jump the hoardings and start playing.
He was fired up.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He was down to play against the Lions on Tuesday for the Combined Country Presidents Invitation XV.

Be surprised to see him back up on Tuesday night.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Any news on Beau Robinson's condition?

Concussed ? How many games stand down is that?

At the game they showed him back on the bench. He looked pretty good all things considered. Wouldn't expect him to play Tuesday but should be right for the Reds next game.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Just a sensational night. Really proud of our boys. Sat in the nose bleeds at Suncorp and am now convinced there is not a bad view at that ground. Just sensational and won't be paying for platinum seats again. The Lions touring party fellas were fantastic blokes. The blokes behind us at the game and the blokes I had a beer with at the Caxton on Friday afternoon. Really good sports and actually very knowledgable on Southern Hemisphere rugby. To the Caxton for wanting $69 per head for a set menu dinner, get f#$ked I say to you. For the record the little PCYC cafe at Suncorp does a mean steak sandwich.

Did dinner at the Breaky Ck hotel on Thursday which was fantastic and did the Norman on Friday night which was just as good. Conquered the kilo rump and now have my name on the wall at the Norman. :)

Just a sensational trip down with the boys and will be looking to do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.