• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Best World Wallaby team

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

Unlikely the other aspects of Palmer's game will improve in France. Over there THPs just scrummage; they aren't expected to do much else.

I am not a fan of how the teams there treat the scrummage - it's a complete mess, with each pack just trying to make it a mess for the other team. Penalties seem to be lotteries at times.

I agree Ash but it's burnt Oz before. Consider how good Cooper is off first phase attack. He needs that ball.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Paradox going on a rampage.

I'll put out my team:
Robinson, Moore, Kepu, Simmons, Horwill, Kimlin, Smith, Higgenbotham (c), Genia, Cooper, O'Connor, To'omua, Kuridrani, Ashley-Cooper, Folau
Polota-Nau, Sio, Slipper, Fardy, Pocock, Giteau, Cummins, Beale

Backline almost picks itself, forwards would be the same if not for 3, 6, 7 and 8.
I always thought Giteau was good 9 and we don't want to take of Genia if he's doing well anyway, so Giteau is the reserve 9 and 12. If Cooper goes down, To'omua takes 10 and Giteau to 12.

HM to current form Dean Mumm, Lions series form Ben Mowen and at-his-best Jesse Mogg.

T

Train Without a Station

Speight has been the best Oz winger in Super rugby for the last 2 years. Link has stated Super rugby form is the driver for selection..and so it should be. Assuming Speight keeps up his form, he deserves to dislodge any incumbent.

Cummins and Tomane have both had multiple storming games on the wing and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be almost a certainty to be in the starting team. We already have 3 players to fit into 2 positions and Speight is still a certainty?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Despite how much I like Tomane, I would take Speight over him any day.

Joe Played more like his Brumbies' form last night and looked to be the goods. But Henry has been the Brumbies' best winger for two years and if he retains his form next year I agree he will replace one of Joe or HB. Remember too, that he gives us the equivalent of another pilferer out wide. His ball winning skills are not to be forgotten.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
No doubt if he keeps his form he should become the first choice winger. He has more pace than the other contenders and is equal in other areas.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might end up on the bench as 13, wing and FB cover.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To elaborate on my comment about his try scoring abilities........

He's been the highest Australian try scorer for the past two seasons, but when you go back and look at his highlights reel a lot of those tries have come down to individual brilliance rather than just sitting on the end of a play........

Between Speight, Folau and the Honey Badger we have some pretty amazing strike weapons out wide.........

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just thinking about those players who have not done well in Australia / Super Rugby, gone overseas and done brillantly. I wonder if it is the style of play? Is what Mumm is playing at Leister better suited to him than what was trying to be imposed on him at home? So, on this theory, would some of these players, playing well though they are, come back and bomb anyway? Just a thought.

I also think that we need to consider the horses for courses thing. If you are going to play the NH teams in a wide ranging open game such as we saw on the weekend, then no Dan Palmer may not be the best choice. BUt boy I would like him to be available next time we meet the Boks & the AB's.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Given the extra space that a dominant tighthead can provide for the backs by causing the scrum to begin to turn before the ball comes out I'd be perfectly fine with Dan Palmer playing in any game plan (given his form).

Status
Not open for further replies.