• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Big change to eligibility rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Hopefully this rule also devalues the amount French clubs are willing to pay Wallabies..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/68272144/Sekope-Kepu-and-Wycliff-Palu-cast-doubt-on-their-playing-future-with-Wallabies

Kepu saying he might not make himself available anyway citing the main reason he's leaving is to be with his family longer.

He must be sincere with his intentions, if he doesn't want to wear the gold jersey, he should resign and not make excuses.

Unfortunately he's the only top class THP we have ATM, but we can't force him to play against his will. Passion must be one of the fundamental requirements for wear the gold jersey.

About Palu I'm not worried, he turns 33 next July, he's prone to injuries and we have many young backrowers. Lopeti Timani can be a great number 8 soon, he has all the skills for the position.

Hopefully this rule also devalues the amount French clubs are willing to pay Wallabies..

That's what I said. This new rule will make to the Kiwis players more attractive for NH, because once an European club buy a Kiwi player, he will be 100% at their disposal. Greater Kiwis exodus, more likely to regain the Bledisloe Cup :D

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's not an excuse, it's the same reason Mowen left. I very much doubt he's getting paid more, given his standing in Aus rugby and reputation of Aus props.

Excuses are excuses. He's only 29, who is relatively young for a prop. Brad Thorn played for the ABs until 36 and he also had a family.

Not everybody has the passion of George Gregan, Stephen Larkham, George Smith or Nathan Sharpe.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Righto.. been down this road before but playing overseas in France means it's possible to see your family more often than in Australia. In Europe, you're away from home for 1-2 days at most, you often fly the day before and arrive back the same day or the next. No tours. It's a pretty legitimate reason for those with young families and in any case everyone is different but I wouldn't call him out for lacking passion.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He must be sincere with his intentions, if he doesn't want to wear the gold jersey, he should resign and not make excuses.

Unfortunately he's the only top class THP we have ATM, but we can't force him to play against his will. Passion must be one of the fundamental requirements for wear the gold jersey.

About Palu I'm not worried, he turns 33 next July, he's prone to injuries and we have many young backrowers. Lopeti Timani can be a great number 8 soon, he has all the skills for the position.

That's what I said. This new rule will make to the Kiwis players more attractive for NH, because once an European club buy a Kiwi player, he will be 100% at their disposal. Greater Kiwis exodus, more likely to regain the Bledisloe Cup :D
What, resign now?? What excuses? He's here for now, going OS next year. I'd say he's earned the right to pick up some coin in Europe and spend time with his family. Until then, if he's fit, we have his services. From next year, if he elects to be unavailable, so be it. I wouldn't begrudge him.

T

TOCC

Excuses are excuses. He's only 29, who is relatively young for a prop. Brad Thorn played for the ABs until 36 and he also had a family.

Not everybody has the passion of George Gregan, Stephen Larkham, George Smith or Nathan Sharpe.

Excuses?
What's the difference between an excuse and a reason? Coming from a job which can see me away from home for a few months a year I can sympathise that family is a pretty bloody legitimate reason to take a job with less travel.

How can you question his passion without knowing nothing about his circumstances...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

George Smith retired from test rugby at 29.........

He also chose to leave a year before his contract was up, and not stick around for the World Cup.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Indeed, Slim 293.
I don't begrudge anyone making the decision to make a decision on their life, their career and thinking of their family. While I might shake my head and wish I'd seen more of them in Gold (vis-a-vis Mark Ella at 25 years old) only those who walk in their shoes can (maybe) judge their decision. I wouldn't hold it against any of them.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I doubt you'll see to many players being brought back for the june tests or the RC after the world cup given that the years after the cup are suppose to be about blooding the next generation. You'd like to think a guy like Kepu would still be happy to play for Oz on the EOYT given that he won't have to be away from his family to do that.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Righto.. been down this road before but playing overseas in France means it's possible to see your family more often than in Australia. In Europe, you're away from home for 1-2 days at most, you often fly the day before and arrive back the same day or the next. No tours. It's a pretty legitimate reason for those with young families and in any case everyone is different but I wouldn't call him out for lacking passion.

Then he will have more time with his family during the regular season, then he may travel to play for his country at TRC and november window

What, resign now?? What excuses? He's here for now, going OS next year. I'd say he's earned the right to pick up some coin in Europe and spend time with his family. Until then, if he's fit, we have his services. From next year, if he elects to be unavailable, so be it. I wouldn't begrudge him.

I'm talking after WC

Excuses?
What's the difference between an excuse and a reason? Coming from a job which can see me away from home for a few months a year I can sympathise that family is a pretty bloody legitimate reason to take a job with less travel.

How can you question his passion without knowing nothing about his circumstances.

Others top class players (more top class than him), also have had family and have chosen play for his country. Then he isn't at the level of the great legends of the sport, it's just my opinion. He shouldn't even be interested in becoming a legend, OK. Goodbye Kepu

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Re Dan 54 regarding suggested selectors position in Europe.....
I'm in ! Think a good base possibly the Loire Valley in France ... I'll do my utmost to source and monitor all available talent across Europe . And I'll spend the remaining time keeping tabs on the Wallaby candidates as well . Oh and Bill , in the interests of keeping a rein on spending I'll do my bit and limit myself to 1 Michelin ranked restaurant per month (that's 7 mths in the Loire Valley alone).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Then he will have more time with his family during the regular season, then he may travel to play for his country at TRC and november window

I'm talking after WC
I can't see why he cannot elect to just not play Test rugby. It's his life. He's done his time, and has every right to make that call.
Your second point? Well, that was kinda the point of the interview. That he probably would.
You're all over the shop.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
George Smith retired from test rugby at 29...

He also chose to leave a year before his contract was up, and not stick around for the World Cup.

With the double of caps than Kepu, then he returned when the team needed him (Lions Tour 2013). And now he would be willing to wear the gold jersey again, with Poey and Hooper at the same time, he won't take a spot on the RWC squad

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Others top class players (more top class than him), also have had family and have chosen play for his country. Then he isn't at the level of the great legends of the sport, it's just my opinion. He shouldn't even be interested in becoming a legend, OK. Goodbye Kepu

Legends like the ones you mentioned including George Smith?

Who, as stated above, retired from test rugby at the same age as Kepu and chose to leave a year out before a World Cup and his contract finishing?

You're not making a strong point.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With the double of caps than Kepu, then he returned when the team needed him (Lions Tour 2013). And now he would be willing to wear the gold jersey again, with Poey and Hooper at the same time, he won't take a spot on the RWC squad

Has he stated he would be willing to wear the gold jersey again?

He didn't return from playing in Europe to play against the Lions in 2013......... he was in Australia playing for the Brumbies.

You're talking absolute nonsense.

You're besmirching the name of a player who has put in a good number of years for the Wobs and now wants to spend more time with his family while securing their financial future.........

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The important thing is that the players feel that there's less travel, and more time with the family, regardless of the actual pure time. For your normal french away game, you'll probably go one day and leave the next, meaning you see the family on both days. You'd perhaps go an extra day for European games, maybe even the Paris ones if the owner is particularly generous.

In contrast Super Rugby has the South Africa tour which takes the best part of 2 and a half weeks. That in itself would be exhausting, then you have 2 New Zealand trips and a Perth trip on top of it.

If players don't want to play, that's up to them. It might be best to normally leave the overseas boys for the November tests, gets them a proper preseason in June and then they can skip out om the RC as well so home players can be developed against the best, just have them join the tour for building to WC stuff.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The important thing is that the players feel that there's less travel, and more time with the family, regardless of the actual pure time. For your normal french away game, you'll probably go one day and leave the next, meaning you see the family on both days. You'd perhaps go an extra day for European games, maybe even the Paris ones if the owner is particularly generous.

In contrast Super Rugby has the South Africa tour which takes the best part of 2 and a half weeks. That in itself would be exhausting, then you have 2 New Zealand trips and a Perth trip on top of it.

If players don't want to play, that's up to them. It might be best to normally leave the overseas boys for the November tests, gets them a proper preseason in June and then they can skip out om the RC as well so home players can be developed against the best, just have them join the tour for building to WC stuff.

And then on top of that, if you make the test team......... you've got half a week in NZ, two weeks over in SA and Argentina, plus more than a month on the EOYT, and then days/weeks away in training camps.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Has he stated he would be willing to wear the gold jersey again?

He didn't return from playing in Europe to play against the Lions in 2013... he was in Australia playing for the Brumbies.

You're talking absolute nonsense.

You're besmirching the name of a player who has put in a good number of years for the Wobs and now wants to spend more time with his family while securing his financial future...

Remember the situation. He had more than 100 caps when he resigned and few months later he signed for Toulon. Clearly he had planned to travel to Europe, is the retirement of any rugby superstar from SH.

He went abroad in 2010 (Toulon) and returned in 2013. He had no rule in his favor as Kepu has ATM, so you can't judge by different rules. When in 2013 he was back, he returned. Although many people said he was old to play at 7 at the international level, despite thats he returned to wear the gold jersey(Lions Tour 2013). Then he returned to emigrate (Lyon 2014) and he returned to be ineligible. Different rules.

Despite all that, you can't compare, just different levels.

George Smith: 111 caps
Sekope Kepu: 52 caps

Status
Not open for further replies.