• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 1: 29 July @ MCG

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
As Reg has pointed out on twitter, there's almost more synergy between the players from their high schools than their clubs:
Tate & Carter at Sunshine Grammar
Kerevi & Petaia at Brisbane High.

• Haha
Reactions: dru

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Plus, who started the rumour in the media about Tate being captain, they stuffed that up
Doran's article merely stated a new captain would be needed, and that Tate fulfilled the role when Slipper went off against the Argies. The implication was he may be a candidate, but there was no suggestion that decision was made. He or 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) seemed the natural choices though

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Doran's article merely stated a new captain would be needed, and that Tate fulfilled the role when Slipper went off against the Argies. The implication was he may be a candidate, but there was no suggestion that decision was made. He or 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) (Allan Ala'alatoa) seemed the natural choices though

There was some punter who has a reasonable instagram profile and masquerades as being a source of news saying they McDermott was going to be captain.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McDermott wasn't included in Jones' leadership group, which from memory included Slipper, Hooper, AAA, Holloway, White and Kellaway...

It's possible Slipper and AAA were both subbed when he took over the on field leadership against Argentina.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
200.gif

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The Wobs backline is (mostly) damn strong defensively imo
There will be plenty of space between Kerevi, Petaia and Nawaqanitawase. Of those three only Petaia is a strong defender, but he's no master of the positional play like TK was or Ikitau has become. We'll be conceding line breaks through the midfield for sure.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There will be plenty of space between Kerevi, Petaia and Nawaqanitawase. Of those three only Petaia is a strong defender, but he's no master of the positional play like TK was or Ikitau has become. We'll be conceding line breaks through the midfield for sure.
I agree but that's par for the course with new combinations, isn't it? I have hope that this backline will put the ABs under considerable pressure and tries will come, but really there would be expected to be very little in the way of cohesion with Tate and Carter playing together at this level for the first time, in what will be Carters debut run on. Couple that with a backline of Kerevi, Petaia and Nawaqanitawase who I don't think have ever played as a unit before, and put them outside the halves combo that they've never had any previous experience with, and it spells a lot of missed tackles and leaked points. I am not expecting miracles, but I do hope and trust this lineup is persevered with for the lead up and duration of the RWC, Len Ikitau being the obvious inclusion if he gets over his injury.

Very happy to see Frost partnered with Skelton. Different but hopefully complementary skills and the beginning of a very successful partnership. Arnold (or Philip or Neville - not in the squad I know) could replace either one later in the game depending on form and how the particular game is playing out.

Bell at LHP is a winner with a bit of game time under his belt and will give Slipper a bit of a rest. Tupou off the bench is best until his fitness and form can be fully assessed. I wish Tom Hooper a good game. This could be a changing of the guard, or a return to the fetcher No 7 if he doesn't step up.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
His rhetoric has always been rubbish but Eddie's record against Australia suggests he knows what beats Australia and what doesn't. Anytime we lose a RWC match it's because we get physically destroyed.
To be fair I don’t think knowing how to beat Australia is a state secret

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pleasantly surprised to see Roigard on the bench. Conversely, bummed to see Williams absent. As far as I know he's available, so hoping this is very much a last chance situation for Ofa and, in particular, Nepo before Moody and Newell also return.

Remain unconvinced on Savea as skipper after some of his tactical choices at the Hurricanes, and his penchant to throw a wobbly when they fail. Feel like old Dogroll Barrett or possibly Retallicka would've been better options.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pleasantly surprised to see Roigard on the bench. Conversely, bummed to see Williams absent. As far as I know he's available, so hoping this is very much a last chance situation for Ofa and, in particular, Nepo before Moody and Newell also return.

Remain unconvinced on Savea as skipper after some of his tactical choices at the Hurricanes, and his penchant to throw a wobbly when they fail. Feel like [Scott] Barrett or possibly Retallicka would've been better options.

To quote @Dismal Pillock...

"Cantab... Cantab... Cantab... Cantab"

IMG_1192.GIF