• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 1: 29 July @ MCG

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Having had the love of rugby scoured from my body by the Wallabies and Waratahs I now consider myself an impartial observer. Here are my observations:

1. Thank god the Ashes are on. Actual entertainment.
2. The constant 'All Blacks' cries from the crowd have confirmed what I always suspected. Melbourne, being our coldest and shittiest city, is still better than living in New Zealand. I consider this a moral victory (yeah I'm stealing this from the cricket).
3. The All Blacks aren't even that good. They actually looked thoroughly pedestrian and I'd be surprised if they threaten this world cup.
4. Stroke of genius hiring Eddie. Never seen us play worse rugby. Even the worst of the worst Cheika team would've stuffed these fluffybunnys.

All your remaining Aussie fans can take consolation in the fact that if the All Blacks/NZ rugby actually are in any way reliant on Australian rugby to continue thriving they are laughably fucked.
I hear you. Add in supprorting either of the Sea Eagles or Tigers then..

as I said. Eddie is a student of the game. I am optimistic he’ll work out a winning formula soon
admittedly, against the ABs, that’s a big ask. However, we only have to beat them in the final….yeah?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good tough first half of test rugby. Obviously changed in the ~50-60th minutes with the Wallaby prop injuries and the general onset of fatigue. Bell was great, even when he had to come back out (maybe less so at the scrum, but idk about that nonsense).

Seemed to me the All Black offence was a lot less sophisticated than it was against the Boks, especially amongst the forwards. Hopefully this was some deliberate big brain 4D chess play rather than a consistent failure to execute. Otherwise the bench was notably better than previous two tests. Roigard especially was good. Keep him in the match-day squad for the rest of the year pls.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
We can beat a top team on our day, but no chance of doing that 3 times in a row
See this is the thing with the WC this year. We would be at reasonably short odds to win our pool and then not so short odds to beat (likely) Argentina to advance to a semi. We then just need to have one of those ‘on our day’ performances in the semi and we are in the final, and if that is against any of Ireland, France or South Africa - all teams that inherently struggle with us - then we might just fucking win the thing.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it’s about time the retired the Bledisloe Cup, it’s embarrassing

it’s the most one sided annual trophy in the history of sport
Should be changed to points aggregate, it's much fairer when there's an unbalance of Tests h/a or only 2 matches. It would keep it alive until the end too (no matter how slim).

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Thoughts

Bell was huge
I'd always thought 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) was our most important player (not best but important). We're now fucked with him out and Tupou seemingly not match fit enough yet.
Valetini was almost back to his prior form and seemed to be used as a crash baller more this week not whatever he was doing last week.
I thought while T.Hooper might not have got the pay, he was disrupting a shitload of rucks and slowing the ball down.
Frost and Skelton really complement each other and should be our starting locks (I was previously not convinced on Skelton)
Tate struggles with some core 9 skills but is electric in attack which is why i think he is actually suited for the bench 9 (WTF is lonergan doing in the squad too if he's not going to play)
Gordon's kicking was all time bad but I thought he was good when not kicking.
Kerevi looks way underdone and as much as I rate him i think Foketi should get a chance next week.
Kellaway was boring but fine. As a Wright fan I was glad he wasnt playing tonight. You never want him when chasing a score (ie to the 65th)

I thought Barnes did a pretty great job all in all.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Having had the love of rugby scoured from my body by the Wallabies and Waratahs I now consider myself an impartial observer. Here are my observations:

1. Thank god the Ashes are on. Actual entertainment.
2. The constant 'All Blacks' cries from the crowd have confirmed what I always suspected. Melbourne, being our second coldest and shittiest city (edit: sorry forgot about Hobart), is still better than living in New Zealand. I consider this a moral victory (yeah I'm stealing this from the cricket).
3. The All Blacks aren't even that good. They actually looked thoroughly pedestrian and I'd be surprised if they threaten this world cup.
4. Stroke of genius hiring Eddie. Never seen us play worse rugby. Even the worst of the worst Cheika team would've stuffed these fluffybunnys.

All you remaining Aussie fans can take consolation in the fact that if the All Blacks/NZ rugby actually are in any way reliant on Australian rugby to continue thriving they are laughably fucked.

That isn't very zen money of you.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
I think it’s about time the retired the Bledisloe Cup, it’s embarrassing

it’s the most one sided annual trophy in the history of sport
And deprive NZ‘ers of their main source of joy, other than Thursdays?
you’re a hard man.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Weird game. Aus forwards had the measure of NZ but just kept barking the poor bride's shins on the penthouse suite door frame.

That opening 17 mins of the 2nd spell, I dont recall NZ really leaving their own 22 at all ffs. Then finally they got upfield and boom chucka lucka that "flog" Rieko finally put his hand up as a senior AB.

In closing, I have reported @drewprint to the IRB for calling Rieko a "flog".

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Good tough first half of test rugby. Obviously changed in the ~50-60th minutes with the Wallaby prop injuries and the general onset of fatigue. Bell was great, even when he had to come back out (maybe less so at the scrum, but idk about that nonsense).

Seemed to me the All Black offence was a lot less sophisticated than it was against the Boks, especially amongst the forwards. Hopefully this was some deliberate big brain 4D chess play rather than a consistent failure to execute. Otherwise the bench was notably better than previous two tests. Roigard especially was good. Keep him in the match-day squad for the rest of the year pls.
I've observed this phenomenon where NZ fans are far more optimistic about the rugby generally but also Australian rugby than Aussies. I think it's essentially wishful thinking. You want the sport you love to be more relevant than it is.

Sorry pal - that was near unwatchable.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Won’t the bledisloe be going to one game a year every 2 yearssoon? When the TRC and 6 nations combine to form that bi annual tournament that falls outside lions and World Cup years

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
See this is the thing with the WC this year. We would be at reasonably short odds to win our pool and then not so short odds to beat (likely) Argentina to advance to a semi. We then just need to have one of those ‘on our day’ performances in the semi and we are in the final, and if that is against any of Ireland, France or South Africa - all teams that inherently struggle with us - then we might just fucking win the thing.
As shit as we've looked, there's still optismism for sure, it's why Carter should not be playing, we can win this with Quade (or Foley). We need a strong goal kicker.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So assuming Tupou broke a rib/s, that's 6 weeks and he'll be back in time for the RWC? Can't see Wallabies going far with a third choice tighthead (arguably the most important position on the field) - Nonggorr, Fa'amausili, Talakai?