• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 1: 29 July @ MCG

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
This has nothing to do with the ABs winning. But yes - one eye open just like EVERY Wallaby game you comment on.

For someone who has been watching rugby for 20 years, you didn't know that Scott Barrett was well within his rights to hit McDermott for the first AB try.
"Thanks mate. I thought he had to wait for mcdermit to catch"

Completely wrong on Mark Telea:
"Talea was miles in touch and then passes it and wallabies knock into touch. Hahaha."
"There's 5 points to the all blacks when it should have been a wallaby line out. Really bad call by the touchie."
"All blacks second try is frustrating tho. How the hell a touchie can't see talea with both feet ln touch is beyond me. Then it's all blacks line out maul try."

Looking for the ref to save the Wallabies:
"Would like to see a warning to all blacks soon."
"That should be a yellow card. Terrible sportsman ship from moanga. Absolute disgusting"
"It's how you the best teams win. Boks do it as well. Problem is when we do it we cop cards left right and centre."
"All blacks should have been carded as well. They have been giving away penalties with wallabies in attack alot"

Complaining about decisions:
"It's a ruck for 3 years and then the all blacks just rip the ball out of it. Come on Wayne. It's a fucking ruck"
"How do the all blacks just callapsed a maul and get the ball."
"Wayne wasn't calling any line outs not straight. The abz first line out was on the outside shoulder. He was consistent"
"How is a dummy runner an obstruction?"

Your ridiculous and repeated criticism of Ardie for playing rugby:
"Would love to see a yellow for all blacks soon. Ardie smashed toupo in the ribs in the ruck just then as well."
"Awesome tmo. Let's ruin the game even more even though toup gets smashed in the ribs off the ball Hang in what. A yellow card. Are they high ?"
"Let's allow someone to purposely smash toupo off the ball who has likely broken ribs and then card a wallaby for something that happened many times in the game."
"Ardie smashes toupo in the ribs off the ball. Now this. All blacks playing dirty. So it's ok to be a dog but you yellow card someone for an accident."
"Not be a dog and smash him off the ball where he is obviously injured would be good"

This is how I know you only briefly played rugby. When you step on the field, you don't ask for or expect your opposition to go easy. If you are injured, get off. If you can't get off but you don't want to be hit, don't go into tackles, don't carry the ball up and don't get into the contact areas. That idea that Tupou can run into the tackle area and you expect Savea to be more concerned about his ribs than Tupou himself is, is just dumb. Tupou wouldn't be calling Savea a dog - twice.

I get it. We all love our own team and feel hard done by at certain times with reffing decisions but you consistently blame the ref, think the Wallabies aren't getting the 50/50 calls, are being officiated out of games and claim the opposition are dirty, cheating and getting away with it. Not just last nite. Every. Game.

You don't know rugby.
Way too much time on you're hands. If you think I was whinging about this game you must be new here. Ardie. Off the ball. In the ribs. He doesn't have the best history with what he did with Lawrance either. If it was the other way around you would be calling for sanctions for targeting an injured all black.

I thought barret was offside and was wrong. Whoopdedo. How am I wrong about telea being in touch when he was ?

Its ok for me to mention a few mistakes the touchies made. And then you pick the same comment 3 times that was a reply. I don't have time to get to write a novel here. Good luck next week. Don't think they need it tho

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Way too much time on you're hands. If you think I was whinging about this game you must be new here. Ardie. Off the ball. In the ribs. He doesn't have the best history with what he did with Lawrance either. If it was the other way around you would be calling for sanctions for targeting an injured all black.

I thought barret was offside and was wrong. Whoopdedo. How am I wrong about telea being in touch when he was ?

Its ok for me to mention a few mistakes the touchies made. And then you pick the same comment 3 times that was a reply. I don't have time to get to write a novel here. Good luck next week. Don't think they need it tho
You were wrong about Telea - completely. Provide definitive proof he was miles into touch.

The only people who were at fault for Savea just playing rugby were

1. The coaching and medical staff for leaving him out there.
2. Tupou for getting involved in the tackle.

Your lack of rugby experience shows in that you don’t understand how most players approach the game and you don’t know the laws. That’s why you thought Barrett was offside. Because you don’t know rugby.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
You were wrong about Telea - completely. Provide definitive proof he was miles into touch.

The only people who were at fault for Savea just playing rugby were

1. The coaching and medical staff for leaving him out there.
2. Tupou for getting involved in the tackle.

Your lack of rugby experience shows in that you don’t understand how most players approach the game and you don’t know the laws. That’s why you thought Barrett was offside. Because you don’t know rugby.
Mate I'm not going through footage and providing evedence. What is this ? Are you the rugby court? You don't know rugby and you're not a fan.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Telea was out. It was a poor call from the touchie not to check it.
He didn't need to. If you watch it, from the second Telea catches the ball, all the touchie is doing is watching the sideline. That is literally ALL he is doing is watching the sideline.

And there is no footage, not on Stan anyway, that shows Telea steps out.

Mate I'm not going through footage and providing evedence. What is this ? Are you the rugby court? You don't know rugby and you're not a fan.
I've watched it a number of times. Cos I'm a fan. A fan who knows the laws and therefore didn't need to ask a public forum if Scott Barrett was offside.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
He didn't need to. If you watch it, from the second Telea catches the ball, all the touchie is doing is watching the sideline. That is literally ALL he is doing is watching the sideline.

I've watched it a number of times. Cos I'm a fan. A fan who knows the laws and therefore didn't need to ask a public forum if Scott Barrett was offside.
Haha. You're a hero. Biggest rugby legend ever. Well done.
Do U think check knows the game? When he says stupid shit after or during the game ?
Do I think moanga is a flog for tackling white early. Ofcourse not. Do I think Artie is a dog for hitting toupo in the ruck after he was injured. No. Am I winding you up a little. Yeh.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Overall summary is I don’t think we are a chance of winning the World Cup. Need to find someone to step up in the front row fast.
back line will gel and be troubling for opposition.
Gordon not far off but needs minutes under his belt not sure he gets that for this campaign tho.
Jones 100% a step backwards and not sure it fixes itself in time for the World Cup…..
Forward pack was excellent for 35 minutes and generally pretty good I thought.
marika was a dumb yellow.
Score line flattered ABs. We didn’t deserve to win but was closer than it looks. Missing some polish in the backs.
Who called a quick line out from the 5 yard line?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Carter restart kicking was poor.. it’s usually not. Has a high arch rhat chasers can get… I think it was the nervousness

As for goal kicking… the smallest of sample size. Keen to see how he kicks in a rectangular venue (same with his punting) I imagine there’s the opposite of tunnel vision kicking for posts/touch out on a AFL field…

Bring on goal kicking in Dunedin. Score some pies and let’s see if he has a sufficient boot with accuracy. He was 1 from 2 last night not 1 from 6
I think you make good points mate, I do wonder if kicking in stadiums like the G are a bit different, I know the sidelines are in same place but I think you would get some measure off stands etc? Especially when kicking from hand.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I would add you also being a rugby fan know the ref is almost always a lot more correct than those of us watching on tv, with camera angles etc not giving the best veiw often.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

To be fair to @Shiggins, it's not like we haven't seen a number of AR muff their calls even when admittedly staring with great intent at the line. I seem to recall Gardner calling one that looked out on the replay and a couple through the Super Season.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sio is a loose head. He's been playing ok for Exeter, but he was looking off his historic best when he moved abroad.
Not really so far off his best Molman. A couple of years where he was hindered by injury but last year was much stronger. His inclusion would allow Slipper to move to TH, and would be an improvement over any of the alternatives.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I liked that little moment where Koroibete absolutely poleaxed an AB then Kerevi stole it, was sweet.

Haven't checked stats but I presume Skelton is our leading pilferer? Think he's got 1 a game so far.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I missed the first 20 minutes so caught up on the highlights for that part. How do we go from cleanly gathering the kick off to our halfback getting nailed off our own throw on our tryline, 2 minutes later?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I meant to add on here, I thought Tom Hooper went well an Saturday, seemed to be a menace on defense etc, just liked what I noticed of him.
agree, didn't get any turnovers but was solid in the D and tried to TO several times when it was on but had limited support. He'll be a good one but not sure 7 is his spot.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I missed the first 20 minutes so caught up on the highlights for that part. How do we go from cleanly gathering the kick off to our halfback getting nailed off our own throw on our tryline, 2 minutes later?

Wallabies cleared to ABs 40 then both teams traded kicks. Wallabies actually had the ball on the ABs 40 after Aaron Smith passed directly into touch but Carter Gordon put in a poor cross kick/bomb which Telea regathered. ABs then put up a contenstable bomb that Will Jordan & Scott Barrett were able to win possession from - Aaron Smith then immediately put a kick in behind for the corner from that ruck - it bounced out 5 metres out.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
Agree with most of this WF.

In my opinion, Rob Valetini was best of the Wallabies, nearly BOG, Angus Bell was excellent as was Allan Ala'alatoa until he went off injured. Tom Hooper put in the best No 7 performance of TRC series for the Wallabies. Others claim he didn't have the speed for a No 7 but he was everywhere even into the 80th minute. Nic Frost put in another sterling performance and Skelton had some notable moments but seemed to miss quite a bit of the action from time to time. I also have some concern about our second row at scrum time. Reportedly, the scrum was the heaviest ever put out by the Wallabies but still got pushed backwards by the ABs. Who isn't pulling (or pushing) their weight?

Tate had a couple of horrible moments but he was overall far superior to Nic White when he came on. Is it time for Lonergan to get a run, if only for his goal kicking and better skill at box kicking?

I was happy with Carter Gordon's efforts, ignoring the poor kicking. Quade did nothing when he came on, so I'd stick with Carter.

We have big problems in the centres and outside backs. Kerevi is not up to scratch and looks to be still suffering from his injuries. I think Foketi is better value in the 12 jersey at this stage. Jordan Petaia just makes too many poor decisions to run the backline at 13. He is best suited to wing and I'd like to see him out there. Len Ikitau is sorely missed at 13.

Andrew Kellaway did not perform any better than Tom Wright at 15.

Before the game I tipped to my family that the ABs would put 50 points on us this game. As it turned out, they didn't, and I suggest they would have been closer to half that had the injuries/yellow cards not affected the Wallabies so severely. So, overall I was pretty happy with most aspects of the game, but I am left wondering about the wisdom of bringing Eddie Jones and his League/English entourage in to oversee our run to the Cup. I fear we are on the brink of having the game destroyed at the Wallaby level again, just as he did in his previous sojourn as Head Coach.
With the firepower in our backline, and their proclivity to make errors, I quite like having someone like Kellaway at the back. Sure, he's no Chris Latham, but I'd rather his performance on the weekend than the rocks and diamonds that Wright is certain to provide.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
ABs are a world class team and a team full of world class players. We had two players who matched or bettered their opposite numbers in Angus Bell and Rob Valetini so those two put in World XV performances.

Two others were close to their direct opponents in Allan Ala'alatoa and Nick Frost. They had excellent performances.

The few who were not at the standard set by their opposites were below par and included Thor (through early injury), Uelese (poor skills and poor ball retention), White (a shocker all round).

Carter Gordon and Tom Hooper were both impressive with some flaws but showed they have the potential for this level.

The rest were fair to middling.

Need to stick with most other of them but imo look to improve the hooking spot and the centres. I don't think we've yet solved the back three either.