• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Would be ironic if found not guilty on appeal, but I'm inclined to think they'll make it two weeks to ensure he properly misses a game at the highest level.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yes, but why for this one? The 2 week reduced to 1 week ban seemed perfectly fine. Maybe they are having a hissy fit because a striking charge has resulted in zero test matches missed, maybe they're doing it because (like everyone knows), Hooper was never going to play this week.

What the hell are they hooping for? (see what i did there, hehe)

Not sure about that, he is prone to play when he can (not a full 80 mins, but play) and when he can't he has run the water

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Although we've only had 2 Tests in the TWC it's still useful to run a stats comparison between Pocock and Hooper.

HP1.png

HP2.png

Numbers have been rounded to whole numbers.

Both players have played the same number of minutes - about 1.5 games.

Pocock has shown the better running game with more ball carries and more m/carry plus more Def Beaten, Clean Breaks and Offloads.
He makes more Handling Errors than Hooper.

Pocock has shown the better tackling game with more tackles and zero tackles missed. Hooper made a couple of 'dominant' tackles

Both players have had the same number of ruck involvements.
Pocock has slightly earlier arrival and more impact.
Hooper has been strong in supporting the Wallaby ball carriers.
Pocock has been strong in putting pressure on the opposition ball.

Pocock has had a Turn Over Won rate of 1 TOW per 3 Defensive Rucks.
Hooper has had a TOW rate of 1 TOW per 6 Defensive Rucks.

Due to his extra involvement in Defensive Rucks, Pocock (1.4) gets penalised at 2 x Hooper's (0.7) penalty rate.

Hopper has scored a Try and 1 Try Assist.

Remember, the Wallabies were up against very different opposition.

It will be interesting to have another look after the 2 games against the ABs.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Although we've only had 2 Tests in the TWC it's still useful to run a stats comparison between Pocock and Hooper.

View attachment 6728

View attachment 6729

Numbers have been rounded to whole numbers.

Both players have played the same number of minutes - about 1.5 games.

Pocock has shown the better running game with more ball carries and more m/carry plus more Def Beaten, Clean Breaks and Offloads.
He makes more Handling Errors than Hooper.

Pocock has shown the better tackling game with more tackles and zero tackles missed. Hooper has made a couple of 'dominant' tackles

Both players have had the same number of ruck involvements.
Pocock has slightly earlier arrival and more impact.
Hooper has been strong in supporting the Wallaby ball carriers.
Pocock has been strong in putting pressure on the opposition ball.

Pocock has had a Turn Over Won rate of 1 TOW per 3 Defensive Rucks.
Hooper has had a TOW rate of 1 TOW per 6 Defensive Rucks.

Due to his extra involvement in Defensive Rucks, Pocock gets penalised at 2 x Hooper's penalty rate.

Hopper has scored a Try and 1 Try Assist.

Remember, the Wallabies were up against very different opposition.

It will be interesting to have another look after the 2 games against the ABs.

Great stuff, and is counter to the prevailing "wisdom" that Hooper is a better ball carrier. Any fair reading of those stats show that they both have a significant impact in all parts of the game.

The 221 people who gave the thumbs down to Hooper will be disappointed.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Am thinking that Cooper may have one more opportunity in Sydney. He will be booed just as much there as anywhere in NZ and if he can fire under pressure that will give Cheika an idea of his ability at the RWC.

Unfortunately it seems as if a small few posters on this forum will be among the absolute shameful who boo an Australian player in Australia, like what happened last time Cooper played Wallabies in Sydney.

Yeah, nah. Think you're imagining that mate.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Am thinking that Cooper may have one more opportunity in Sydney. He will be booed just as much there as anywhere in NZ and if he can fire under pressure that will give Cheika an idea of his ability at the RWC.

Unfortunately it seems as if a small few posters on this forum will be among the absolute shameful who boo an Australian player in Australia, like what happened last time Cooper played Wallabies in Sydney.

I hate to bring this up but the booing of Cooper was very minor compared to the booing by Queenslanders of Glen Ella when he was selected at full back for his first game for the Wallabies instead of Roger Gould. Booing of individuals in teams is just rubbish, whether its Glen Ella, Quade Cooper or Adam Goodes.

If Cooper is selected to start against NZ, which I would do, then I doubt there will be much crowd reaction at all. He'll be welcomed as a member of the Wallabies - we'll leave the other rubbish to those over the dutch.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think this post will be studiously ignored by the locals on this site. Good idea though. Something uniquely australian.
One thing I've observed in expat bars round the world is that Aussies are much better dancers than Kiwis, so you'd better be careful what you wish for. Although it must be said that your war dance is impressively choreographed these days. Certainly better than the old bank clerk on caffeine shizzle that it used to be!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The Floor Run dance manoeuvre should be easy enough for props, they spend most of their time rolling around on the ground anyway

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I think this post will be studiously ignored by the locals on this site. Good idea though. Something uniquely australian.

The heart of the problem is we haven't identified what that is. In this area, you kiwis are so more advanced than us. It is a national shame and often finds its way into the too hard basket. We have a PM that describes Indigenous people living on country as a lifestyle choice. That highlights our level of ignorance on this issue. Sometimes Australia shows meaningless symbolism but sadly it is a long way from having the inner courage to do something significant about our culturally embedded racism.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
damn, i was hoping to be able to get away from this Adam Goodes crap here. i don't even understand why it's such a big issue. It doesnt matter if its racist or if its because the blokes constantly staging for free kicks. Booing any player constantly is just trashy behavior and needs to stop. surely there's a political thread where all this talk can go?

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
i'm not requesting one, i really have no interest in talking politics ever, but when every single page on social media seems to be a political forum now a days, it would be nice to be able to just read everyones opinions on the Bledisloe game coming up instead of about Adam Goodes.

drop kick

Frank Nicholson (4)
Fortunately or unfortunately sport, politics and culture are inextricably and inevitably bound. As far as possible sport should assist building an inclusive and tolerant society.
I think rugby supporters should vocally reject the racial vilification of Adam Goodes. We should support positive cultural expressions of our pride in our country's Indigenous heritage like performing an Aboriginal war dance before test matches.
Read this article, it really is an eye opener.

http://theconversation.com/we-all-know-and-admire-the-haka-so-why-not-one-of-our-own-45432

Status
Not open for further replies.