• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
well we have to agree to disagree. not all the receivers fault but on at least three occasions

It is never that simple, there was average ball presentation, defenders loitering, that slowed down the ruck, that allowed the defenders to shoot into the attackers faces, that sent the attackers deeper and Phipps didn't cope with the adjustments needed

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Horan summed it up later on the Mumm knock on when he asked where Foley was. Foley should have been in 1st receiver at that Foley is the problem because every part of his game is about 3/4s there and you need more than that.

If a bloke you've played with for two years isn't in the "right" position why are you just shovelling shit and not speaking to him? Sure Foley can shoulder some of this blame, but come on, if Phipps had actually looked what was happening most of the wayward passes would not have happened.

Pausing for an extra second to pop your head up from the ruck isn't going to cost us a game or a try, but not doing it and hoping for the best will.

Phipps had a bad night, he'll be able to show that it was a nightmare and nothing consistent, but making excuses for him having a crap night isn't right.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If a bloke you've played with for two years isn't in the "right" position why are you just shovelling shit and not speaking to him? Sure Foley can shoulder some of this blame, but come on, if Phipps had actually looked what was happening most of the wayward passes would not have happened.

Pausing for an extra second to pop your head up from the ruck isn't going to cost us a game or a try, but not doing it and hoping for the best will.

Phipps had a bad night, he'll be able to show that it was a nightmare and nothing consistent, but making excuses for him having a crap night isn't right.

I haven't watch the replay to spot where Foley was, has anyone looked?

On Phipp's "looking" they want to play to a pattern, the attackers should also know their roles, Phipps has been coached to expect the guy to be there, to take that extra "second" and put it on a defence that has less time to get set.

Speed of play was a major part of both Kepu's & White's tries, the defence wasn't given time set and made errors.

If we choose to be more deliberate, take that extra second, we lose that moment at times as well.

It is why rugby is such a great sport, so many options can be countered, but that counter, creates other options

To me, we want better execution of the plan, better cleanout, better ball presentation, better passes from the 9, better, flatter options for the 9 to hit

Rince and repeat for 80 minutes

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Forwards played bloody well but the inside backs sucked. The bench bailed them out. Cut the crap and insert that bloody Cooper To'omua combo period. They could really go great behind a forwards performance like that.

AB's off their game but Wallabies played the game to take them away from their comfort zone and all credit for that.

K

KAOPointman

Foley was terrible again.
He's the only change I'd make.
Phipps is good enough to snap out of that form.

But how is no one talking about how rubbish carter was? He was terrible. He single handedly gave opportunities and basically the game away with his kicking and poor descissions! You could see the touch football kiwi mentality didn't work for this game tho.

I'd either try tomoua or cooper at 10. But I think cooper suits best with a dominant pack. Tomoua is Magic value off the bench!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Although they posted the weekend results - just haven't gone the extra mile

The rankings are updated weekly, usually on Tuesday UK time. It's so all results get taken into account e.g. Ireland are now #2 after beating Wales, Sethficka are (I think) #5 after losing to Argentina.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Have a look at what happened to him when he did pause because he could not find a runner.
He was sacked good and proper by Smith.
There's some other issues that were solely Phipps' - but Foley is not able to run the game at test level.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
On Phipp's "looking" they want to play to a pattern, the attackers should also know their roles, Phipps has been coached to expect the guy to be there, to take that extra "second" and put it on a defence that has less time to get set.
If we choose to be more deliberate, take that extra second, we lose that moment at times as well.

Have a look at what happened to him when he did pause because he could not find a runner.
He was sacked good and proper by Smith.
There's some other issues that were solely Phipps' - but Foley is not able to run the game at test level.

agree with this

the halves pairing last night did not work, multifactorial as fatprop alluded to above. some because of the ABs pressure, some because of the presentation from the wallabies, some because of "interference" at the base of the ruck, some because of poor running lines from Foley/Giteau and some because of Phipps. i just think it simplistic to blame the half for all the fuck ups, he has his hands on the ball more than anyone else and therefore more likely to make a greater absolute number of bad decisions or execution failures. i agree it is a real problem when you are the same pairing for two years at super level, but i think Foley was deeper last night than i have seen before and didn't take on the line as much. i also agree that Phipps needs to vary his option taking, but we are not privy to Cheika instructions.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
3167c4b392ea4874f513a1bf3bf4dba5.jpg

Our back row was almost as good as my seats.
Amazing game. Full credit to the boys. Gave 110%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo x 2

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Quite a few votes for Folau over in that thread.
NZ turned him over twice in contact to my naked eye: that's not good enough from a guy in his position - be that hero or top earner
On the other hand he ran 90 meters (again), beat multiple defenders, took most of the bombs that came anywhere near his way, offloaded out of contact and made a few great tackles. Oh, how quickly we get used to it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
the only major issue I had last night was in the halves. Phipps had a mare and Foley did too. I'd be inclined to stick with Phipps for the moment, because I think he keeps us going forward and generally his service is pretty good (last night excepted). He does get rattled however and the leaders in the team need to get in his ear and calm him down. Foley worried me though. He wasn't flat enough, didn't present well and didn't kick that well either. Matty t on the other hand looked considerably better out there and released his outside men more effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.