• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 1 - Saturday 18 August 2018 - ANZ Stadium, Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From what I hear they have been overly cautious with Hooper's return due to the long test season ahead and he has started full training a week and a half before the team is named. He'll play.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
From what I hear they have been overly cautious with Hooper's return due to the long test season ahead and he has started full training a week and a half before the team is named. He'll play.

No doubt you are right,. Does he start?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yes. He's the captain.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Doesn't work for me. He's done well as captain from the sidelines - loved his work at Probables v Possibles.

One of Hooper's key strengths is going the 80. Right now were I Cheika, I'd be guaging how far he'll go, and bring him on from the bench. Is he really ready for 80+ right now?

Hell he might be, the guy is a freak.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think if he was not the captain, and not Michael Hooper, he'd come off the bench, or ideally would.
But he is, he is, and he won't. It may not be ideal.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If they go with a 5-3 split, surely they will be looking at who is best placed to replace Tui, not Hooper or Pocock.

I’m not sure Samu is the best option to fill that role.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If they go with a 5-3 split, surely they will be looking at who is best placed to replace Tui, not Hooper or Pocock.

I’m not sure Samu is the best option to fill that role.

I say he is the best option to replace either Pocock or Hooper if Tui starts. I reckon Tui would love to go 80 and see what kind of effect he could have on a test over 80 minutes.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have no doubt Tui would love to play 80, but if he goes 80 minutes I would bet he will finish the game at lock. If that happens I think Ned Hanigan becomes a very strong chance for the bench role.

I agree Samu is the best to replace Hooper and/or Pocock. With a 6 forward bench, Cheika replaces Pocock late in the 2nd half. But if it is a 5 forward bench I would imagine the plan would be to run Pocock & Hooper the full 80. Now that might vary a bit for the first Bledisloe if they have concerns around Hooper but if that is the case I reckon Cheika might lean to retaining a 6 forward bench. Personally, if there is no concern with the Hammy (and I assume they won’t pick him if there is) I don’t think Cheika will have a concern expecting Hooper to go the distance and I’m sure he will be preparing for that eventuality.

Anyway, we’ll see soon enough.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I say he is the best option to replace either Pocock or Hooper if Tui starts. I reckon Tui would love to go 80 and see what kind of effect he could have on a test over 80 minutes.
Isn't it a fitness thing with Tui?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Didn’t Tui go 80 in the 3rd test against Ireland? Seem to remember an enormous tackle on Bundee Aki near the end of the game so his fitness may well have improved this year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Didn’t Tui go 80 in the 3rd test against Ireland? Seem to remember an enormous tackle on Bundee Aki near the end of the game so his fitness may well have improved this year.

Yes because we lost both Hooper and Coleman to injury so either him or Rodda had to play 80 minutes (and it ended up being Tui).

It wouldn't have been planned that way from the outset particularly with 6 forward reserves.

I think the planned substitutions for the Bledisloe will involve Tui going off. All players are required to be able to get through 80 minutes if they need to though.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Any Kiwis want to put together a likely All Blacks 23?

I'm thinking the Wallabies will be something like:

1-3: Sio / Polota-Nau / Kepu
4-5: Coleman / Rodda
6-8: Tui / Pocock / Hooper
9-10: Genia / Foley
12-13: Beale / Rona (or Meakes)
11, 14-15: Banks / Folau / Koroibete

16-18: Ala'alatoa (or Robertson) / Latu / Tupou
19-21: Arnold / Timu (or Samu)
22: Phipps
23: Hodge

I don't think Hodge will be started at 13. Primarily because he hasn't defended there a huge amount, and because Cheika will value the versatility he offers from the bench. This will allow him to go 6:2, and I think he'll opt for intensity in the forwards to try to dominate the All Blacks, who are absolutely terrifying in attack, but fielding the strongest pack that is potentially one of their weakest in the last 10 or so years. He'll look to use our (rare) forward depth as a competitive advantage.

This is assuming DHP doesn't pull up as fit. Why? Because I bloody like Banks and I'd like to see him starting. With him at 11, our backline looks rapid (moreso with Hodge at 13 over Rona, despite the former running like a demented camel).

Therefore, in the backs, we have the following coverage.
9: Genia, Phipps
10: Foley, Beale, Hodge
12: Beale, Hodge
13: Rona (or Meakes), Hodge, Folau
11-14,15: Banks, Koroibete, Folau, Foley, Beale, Phipps (on the wing)

Admittedly, looking at that, Meakes would be the best to start at 13 from a versatility point of view, as he could also play 12 if necessary.

I've also forgot to include To'omua. FUCK. At least we've got some really nice depth, across the park (apart from halfback).

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
The likely side will be something like:

01. J.Moody
02. C.Taylor
03. O.Franks
04. B.Retallick
05. S.Whitelock
06. L.Squire
07. S.Cane
08. K.Read (C)
09. A.Smith
10. B.Barrett
11. R.Ioane
12. N.Laumape
13. R.Crotty
14. B.Smith
15. J.Barrett

16. N.Harris
17. K.Tu'inukuafe
18. O.Tu'ungafasi
19. S.Barrett
20. J.Hemopo/S.Frizell/L.Whitelock
21. TJ.Perenara
22. A.Lienert-Brown
23. D.McKenzie

Which is, of course, different to what I'd go for, particularly in the backs.

As Williams is the, apparent, preferred second-five, I've plonked his crash ball replacement there on the assumption that's what they want. But they could equally have Lienert-Brown starting with Laumape on the bench. I'd be surprised and delighted if Goodhue makes an appearance, but I'm not holding out much hope there. Injuries aside, Mo'unga is a snowballs chance in hell of making the bench because of some airy-fairy excuse making for the McKenzie vanity project.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Pretty pedestrian bench for an All Blacks side. ALso question marks over 12, 14 and 15 i think.

Ben Smith is obviously tenured but he hasn't looked very good for a while. J. Barrett isn't half the player his brother is. Laumape is a flat track bully, though not keen to see him running at whoever we have defending the 13 channel.

Hard to fault that forward pack though. They probably still shade us in nearly every position, despite our improvements.

I'm not looking forward to Mo'unga 10, B.Barret 15 if Hanson ever stops being stubborn.

MacKenzie is a born bench player.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think Hodge will be started at 13. Primarily because he hasn't defended there a huge amount, and because Cheika will value the versatility he offers from the bench.

In the Wallaby pattern the 13 rarely defends at 13 (usually at 12 off structured situations). Chieka usually opts for a winger who plays a pure wing role on attack, but deals with the defensive burden of the 13 channel.

I think they do this to shuffle Foley and Beale into more opportune situations where they defend edge. Less attritional I guess.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pretty pedestrian bench for an All Blacks side. ALso question marks over 12, 14 and 15 i think.

Ben Smith is obviously tenured but he hasn't looked very good for a while. J. Barrett isn't half the player his brother is. Laumape is a flat track bully, though not keen to see him running at whoever we have defending the 13 channel.

Hard to fault that forward pack though. They probably still shade us in nearly every position, despite our improvements.

I'm not looking forward to Mo'unga 10, B.Barret 15 if Hanson ever stops being stubborn.

MacKenzie is a born bench player.

The backline equivalent of Michael Hooper. If Cheika was the coach, he'd play DMac at 10 and BBarrett at 12. Must have the two best (most attacking) players on the field at once, even when it means moving the best in the world in the 10 spot to 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.