• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 2023 @ Dunedin 12:35PM Sat 5 Aug

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Apparently this is our 7th least capped team ever. We've chosen an odd time, two games before the RWC to blood a young team.

I'm not really in the mood to watch Stevenson and McKenzie score absolute worldies from every position on the pitch.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Some of the pics from the training during the week are concerning, not exactly the best prep for a roof game.
I mean, it's not like roofed training grounds are readily available - it's either train in the wet or not at all.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
One player in the starting team with 50+ caps and four in the squad.

Makes it a lot less surprising to see their results when it’s like that.
I think the average age for a RWC winning 23 is like 28. The Wallabies have 9 players starting that are 24 and under.

The only real hardened veterans in the starting 15 are Koriobete and Kerevi.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Apparently the backrow has been picked because it'll be under a roof and a quick game. Probably another reason Skelton is on the bench. I don't hate these fast games as preparation for the RWC. Bled 1 had ball in play time for 45 minutes, 10 more minutes than the SA v ARG game.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Apparently this is our 7th least capped team ever. We've chosen an odd time, two games before the RWC to blood a young team.

I'm not really in the mood to watch Stevenson and McKenzie score absolute worldies from every position on the pitch.
Do we have a team of veterans that has any meaningful prospect of winning in New Zealand or winning three knockout matches on the trot in the RWC?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Do we have a team of veterans that has any meaningful prospect of winning in New Zealand or winning three knockout matches on the trot in the RWC?
The core group that Rennie had developed had a better chance, yes. Rennie's team, even after the Italy fiasco and all that, was statistically much better than Eddie's has proven to be thus far.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Well you have the same amount of caps on the bench as in the XV. You don't have to be starting the young halves. You could have Pete Samu in the squad. You could start Skelton and Philip. That's already an extra 150-200 odd caps.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
The core group that Rennie had developed had a better chance, yes. Rennie's team, even after the Italy fiasco and all that, was statistically much better than Eddie's has proven to be thus far.
Who did Rennie develop? He never developed a 9, never developed a 10, never developed a 15, never developed a 6

Rennie's last game vs New Zealand was a 40-14 embarrassment. But sure, keep pretending he was Rod McQueen

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I actually thought Hooper was better in the 2nd half than the first, for what its worth

I thought this too, he really shines in the last 10mins when he is still hitting the line at pace and running hard. It’s not so effective in the first 45min against fresh bodies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We do but Eddie has decided this year is the time to develop Carter Gordon. He literally said as much in a press conference today.

Disappointing.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Who did Rennie develop? He never developed a 9, never developed a 10, never developed a 15, never developed a 6

Rennie's last game vs New Zealand was a 40-14 embarrassment. But sure, keep pretending he was Rod McQueen
I am not pretending he is Rod McQueen. I'm pointing out that statistically he was much better than EJ (Eddie Jones) has proven thus far.

I was actually vocal in stating my view that Rennie should be held accountable for a series of very bad decisions such as the Italy fiasco and, indeed, his failure to properly manage our 10 situation.

It is logically consistent that Rennie made some poor choices and was ultimately only a middling to poor manager and that EJ (Eddie Jones) is worse still.

I think McLennan, after making a series of reasonable captains decisions to save RA from bankruptcy, has fucked us once again by dropping everything to sign EJ (Eddie Jones).

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I am not pretending he is Rod McQueen. I'm pointing out that statistically he was much better than EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) has proven thus far.

I was actually vocal in stating my view that Rennie should be held accountable for a series of very bad decisions such as the Italy fiasco and, indeed, his failure to properly manage our 10 situation.

It is logically consistent that Rennie made some poor choices and was ultimately only a middling to poor manager and that EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) is worse still.
Thus far being 3 games?

Rennie had 3 years and 34 tests and the culmination of that was losing to Italy

I'm not Eddie's biggest fan, but he's had just 3 games since taking over from the least successful coach in Wallaby history. The man deserves a bit of time at least

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can we please stop the fucking comparison to Rennie after 3 matches? Evaluate after the RWC.

Obviously, it's a pretty bad start and there's some really puzzling selections but Dave Rennie also lost 5-43 at home to NZ in his 3rd game.

He also couldn't beat Argentina twice at home in just his 4th and 5th games. (he did beat NZ but hey that was the 4th match in a row, pretty hard for NZ to get up for that one)