• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #2 - AUS v NZL, Eden Park, Auckland, August 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
We really have 2 games to decide on the halves. But on the positive side the rest of the team is very much set.

Forwards should remain the same with the injection of Simmons.

We only have the halves to sort out and we got 2 games to do it. Lilo could be thrown into the mix if Quade and/or Foley don't work out.

I would actually persist with Phipps as his up-tempo style and quick service suits our game plan the most. He is capable, as shown against SA, he just needs to fix his composure.

White deservedly should get more game time but I'd keep on the bench for at least one more game and bring him on at half time. If Phipps doesn't step up then White is starting against USA and Fiji.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
White would have surely come on almost 10 minutes earlier if Phipps hadn't been yellow carded.

Leali'ifano will be playing for the World XV this weekend. I think he is now relying on an injury or for Giteau to be the third halfback to make it to the RWC.

To'omua and Giteau could get a run together at 10 and 12 but I wouldn't be surprised if Cheika sticks with the existing combination for one more game.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The halves:
  • Phipps' up-tempo style suits Cheika's game plan. Yes, he didn't perform as well as he should on Saturday night, but the ABs back row were off-side and infringing otherwise a lot. I was behind the posts at the ground so couldn't see his passes, too many weren't in front of the receiver, and when they were there intended recipient missed them.
  • Cooper has to start at 10 or sit in the stand. This squad has flyhalves to burn, and we now know after Quade's stint at IC in Mendoza he can't play 12. Also, something I noticed from watching the match from behind the posts, we threw far too many long passes which didn't get us anywhere. And long passes are Quade's speciality. Has QC (Quade Cooper)'s boat sailed for the 10 jumper?
  • Foley's performance. Bernard's the best five-eighth for attacking the line in Oz rugby, what went wrong on Saturday night? Phipps' passing could've been better, and his positioning and understanding with Giteau needs some work. Maybe the athletic backrow wasn't physical enough to stymie the ABs when we needed clean pill.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The halves:
  • Phipps' up-tempo style suits Cheika's game plan. Yes, he didn't perform as well as he should on Saturday night, but the ABs back row were off-side and infringing otherwise a lot. I was behind the posts at the ground so couldn't see his passes, too many weren't in front of the receiver, and when they were there intended recipient missed them.
  • Cooper has to start at 10 or sit in the stand. This squad has flyhalves to burn, and we now know after Quade's stint at IC in Mendoza he can't play 12. Also, something I noticed from watching the match from behind the posts, we threw far too many long passes which didn't get us anywhere. And long passes are Quade's speciality. Has QC (Quade Cooper)'s boat sailed for the 10 jumper?
  • Foley's performance. Bernard's the best five-eighth for attacking the line in Oz rugby, what went wrong on Saturday night? Phipps' passing could've been better, and his positioning and understanding with Giteau needs some work. Maybe the athletic backrow wasn't physical enough to stymie the ABs when we needed clean pill.

Actually you'd have to say To'omua is the best five-eighth for attacking the line now. He actually attacks the line against top opposition, Foley has a habit of going missing.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd be playing QC (Quade Cooper) at 10 this weekend, with Giteau or To'omua at 12. If he fires, then he's our 10 for the RWC. If he doesn't then he may struggle to be on the plane. I'm not bothered about who plays half back, either option is fine with me. The rest of the team practically picks itself.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I like the wing combination of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) / Mitchell. Both staunch defenders, both can kick, both have the ability to bust tackles, both very experienced. Exiting our own half is paramount. Certainly one of the most noticeable strengths of Cheika's side this season is their resolute defence, so we may want to start playing a bit more field position.

Although the time is probably now or never for Speight. I still believe he's our best (only?) out and out finisher. We need at least one in the squad.

I'd maybe go for:-

11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Speight
23. Mitchell

I think Tomane and JOC (James O'Connor) are now probably outside the World Cup squad atm.

I go for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) / Mitchell / Horne / Speight as our world cup wingers. If Speight doesn't play this weekend, I'd replace him with either Tomane or JOC (James O'Connor).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I can't believe people are saying Gits deserves one more chance....he is our 12 and To'omua 10 for my mind. Gits was superb against AB's and why SMH had him and Folau in team of the week. As far as team of week only argie hooker got in the forwards - all the rest were wallabies which again was deserved.

Fact that Simmons comes back, Mumm likely to drop out of 23 (between him and Skelton) shows great place to be in terms of depth given mumm certainly performed well so far.

Key question is who to have on the bench to cover 10/12. Cooper worries me in terms of risking with bleds on the line - lilo I think would be better cover. I don't think Beale is good 10/12 cover option and sure Cheika is not considering that as seem Beale locked down wing/FB bench cover for the moment. Part of me almost agrees Cooper probably bench option than Foley.

With Bledisloe on the line won't be much opportunity to tinker so AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mitchell have to start as no reason to change there. Spreight needs a run but will have to come when Bledisloe not on the line as not great bench option compared to Beale who can also cover FB.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's difficult to select Speight for this game considering it's all on the line and he has no recent rugby behind him and hasn't excelled in his two tests last year.

I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mitchell will probably keep their spots and on that basis, it could be hard to select Speight for the RWC squad ahead of Tomane. Mitchell's kicking will only become more useful against the likes of England at the RWC.

Speight's injuries last year and suspension this year couldn't have come at worse times.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I agree Jollyswag that is the perplexing issue for me with To'omua and Gits starting at 10/12 - who is the impact 10/12 bench player to come on as Cheika has made the bench more than just replacements but key second half players pivotal to winning games...

Cooper perhaps gets the gig as the impact player IF he can find some form so perhaps last chance saloon as just not many options there. One key piece of the puzzle need to solve as To'omua and Gits solved the 10/12 starting question at this point, but now need to find someone who can fill the impact role To'omua provided off the bench.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Getting harder for Speight to come into the frame with no rugby. As mentioned a kicker like Mitchell on the wing is quite valuable and will be even more so in England.

Aus has to go for the win this weekend and any combinations selected now should be on the sole basis that Cheika thinks they are the best. Much better to win the Bledisloe than continue to select on the basis of finding a team for the RWC. At the end of the day it will make little difference to the RWC plans but getting the Bledisloe back, wouldn't that be nice? Wouldn't that send a few shockwaves through the England and Wales camps? Wouldn't it just be damn good for the game in Australia? Probably at least as good as getting into a RWC final and maybe even winning when it is so far from home.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If so that'd be quite an achievement by Cheika. To get the ABs to change their game plan to counter an opposition is something they haven't had to do for years.

But is suspect they won't, and they won't have to. They'll be back on track this week just to prove us doubters wrong again.

I'm pretty confident they do. They just have to get Cane onto the field and dropping McCaw for his last home test? Impossible.

McCaw has no breakdown presence, he got his hands onto the ball quite often but got smashed away easily. NZ have been beaten at the breakdown the last 2 matches, they will bring Cane in.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I may be a wee bit pessimistic here but I can't see us beating the AB's at Eden Park next week without our halves both having great games. If the rest of the team can replicate to intensity and commitment shown last week then we may just end up on top. There will be absolutely no margin for error this coming weekend and without a super cool collected performance by whomever is playing at #9 & #10 we are going to get done.

This match will be the closest thing we get to "trial run" of the latter stages of the RWC. There is going to be a massive hostile crowd and big silverware on the line. Put Cooper in at #10 with Gits #12 and To'omua to come on to replace whomever of those two is struggling at 55-60 minute mark. If Cooper plays poorly then leave him at home for the RWC and go with To'omua & Gits combo for the RWC. If Cooper can play well at Eden Park, with all of that pressure then he will have come a very long way from the last RWC and we should see our starting 15 quite settled moving forward.

All that said, three wins from three starts and no injury concerns to speak off......how good is that!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The halves:

L - re Phipps: you know as a Tahs man that Phipps' passing shockers - of a type that can quickly lead to disastrous consequences - were not restricted to BC1 last Saturday. Just recall the very first minutes of the Clan v Tahs S15 SF this year, Phipps horror pass then to the groundsman nearly cost the Tahs 5-7 points and so it was on more than one occasion in BC1.

The hard fact is if we had lost on Saturday, the multiple apologias (some completely lacking credibility and rigour) we are seeing for Phipps' passing problems would be way, way less heard - he'd surely be ascribed as being a major factor in the loss.

Surely our 2015 trajectory and goal has to be to be in the RWC Final vs the (likely) ABs. We all know the ABs will not repeat the multiple mediocrities of BC1 - they never do, their exceptional improvement rate after a loss is one their most admirable attributes. We will have to be consistently better than we were last Saturday to deal with a rising, improving ABs.

if the above goal is accepted, and why should it not be, we cannot risk going to that place with a run-on 9 that presents the type of risk Phipps clearly does. Phipps can have excellent games granted, but his level of regular, negative deviance from the mean is too reckless to indulge. Genia and White accordingly must be given more chances to start matches.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Key question is who to have on the bench to cover 10/12. Cooper worries me in terms of risking with bleds on the line - lilo I think would be better cover. I don't think Beale is good 10/12 cover option and sure Cheika is not considering that as seem Beale locked down wing/FB bench cover for the moment. Part of me almost agrees Cooper probably bench option than Foley.

Cooper perhaps gets the gig as the impact player IF he can find some form so perhaps last chance saloon as just not many options there. One key piece of the puzzle need to solve as To'omua and Gits solved the 10/12 starting question at this point, but now need to find someone who can fill the impact role To'omua provided off the bench.

If Cooper has proven one thing it's that he doesn't have utility value. He is a 10 and nothing else. His stint at 12 against Argentina proved this and he has no experience in any other position.

Cooper to start at 10 or left out, we have far better bench options in Gits/To'omua (if one is not starting), even Horne can cover more positions bar 10.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Yep, Hansen is between a rock and a very hard place. Both the goat and DC are not in the best of form but I highly doubt he is going to drop either of them for next weekend. Any other match and I suspect he may have given them both a rest......Carter looks like a shadow of his former self and dare I say it is somewhat sad to see him struggling like this.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
i think, given chieka's habit of rewarding form, that the team is more than likely going to remain unchanged barring injuries.

why?

because we just fucking won against nz. enough said.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I certainly agree that the All Blacks wont have the same error rate as they did in the first game, but anyone that suggests they were "unforced errors" (cough Hansen cough) is kidding themselves. Nearly all of the All Blacks errors came off the back of a huge amount of pressure from the wallabies.

Even the uncharacteristic fumble by TJP in the dying minutes of the game came partly as a result of a dominant aussie scrum. We need to put even more pressure on to stand a chance in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.