• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #2 - AUS v NZL, Eden Park, Auckland, August 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Yeah jolly, where did you see those articles?? Were they in Aus or NZ press because I surely haven't seen them.

.....Asked today how he thought the crowd would react to Cooper, McCaw said: "I don't know. I really don't. He's the fly-half of their team and we want to make it as tough a night for him as possible. That's what I'm worried about and if the crowd help out with that, I don't know, that would be good."

Link to one article on the NZ Herald site: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11497358

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Yesh, White getting injured early is the worst-case scenario.

If Beale can really cause us to lose in that way, then he shouldn't be on the bench. Fortunately it's his character that's in dispute, not his capabilities as a substitute back. He's had one really poor performance in gold, and he slipped over once while taking a kick. He's not the walking disaster area of popular mythology.

If the win depends on Beale making a one-on-one front on tackle of Savea to stop the winning try late in the game, then I'm backing the ABs to get the win. It is Beale's poor tackling technique as much as his character issues that grate with me (although quite possibly they are one and the same).

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Pooper Scooper

(Speight and Cooper combine for consolation try)

^^He's just a pantomime villain at this stage.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If the win depends on Beale making a one-on-one front on tackle of Savea to stop the winning try late in the game, then I'm backing the ABs to get the win. It is Beale's poor tackling technique as much as his character issues that grate with me (although quite possibly they are one and the same).

I hope there is no implied racism in this comment.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
I love the Cooper selection. I think it's inspired.

When Sir Richie is calling for crowd support you just KNOW that the inveterate Kiwi chippiness is getting the better of them.

I expect a good portion of their gameplan to involve trying to rattle Quade. This means Cheika will have a plan to pull their pants down while they're at it.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

That's a low comment. You should be ashamed of yourself.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
...Asked today how he thought the crowd would react to Cooper, McCaw said: "I don't know. I really don't. He's the fly-half of their team and we want to make it as tough a night for him as possible. That's what I'm worried about and if the crowd help out with that, I don't know, that would be good."

Link to one article on the NZ Herald site: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11497358

Forgive the pun, but in all seriousness, is this type of appalling statement not a revelation of a nasty, dark side of the NZ character.

"Our national insecurities are only relieved if we beat people at rugby all the time, and, if we fear we may not, we'll revert to virtually anything, irrespective of the requirements of decency and fair conduct, to undermine someone else's chances of winning against us."

Very sad - almost pathetic - that McCaw of all people felt the need to stoop to such a self- and nationally degrading statement, to invoke the crowd to undermine a particular opposing rugby player in a manner that has nothing to do with the calibre of his play.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah in all fairness everything looks shithouse in plain text. When you actually read the full article or listen to a full interview it can paint the subject in a much different light

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Sub-Ed to hack journo: "what'd you get from McCaw after the captains run?"
Hack journo to Sub-ed: "not much"
Sub-Ed to Sports Ed: "I've got a great McCaw/ Cooper story for ya. Gotta read between the lines while standing on ya head to see it, but it's clear as day what Richie really meant...."
Sports Ed to Sub-Ed: "yeah, OK, whatever, just make sure it's at least 300 words & ready by 3"

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Exactly. McCaw said nothing about booing. He was talking about the home crowd putting pressure on Quade and the Wallabies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Exactly. McCaw said nothing about booing. He was talking about the home crowd putting pressure on Quade and the Wallabies.

FFS Pfitzy, you of all people 'softening' here.

WTF do we think 'if the crowd helps out' from HRH McCaw means in this context, if not fucking highly aggressive, and relentless, booing?

Do you think it means 'hang bunting in the stands', 'wave your hands at Quade', 'tweet or email objections'', 'write in before the game to the Eden Park marshalls'?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Sure, he didn't say that (booing). But he'd be quite aware of the usual "help" the crowd has offered with Quade playing for the past few seasons. It would be very naive of him to not realise that.
But the whole exchange would give context, if it even exists.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
Did the crowd have any issues with QC (Quade Cooper) in Dunedin a couple of years ago? Memory says no but could be wrong. Really think they are over it and yet we see the same tired articles 4 years on.

While the crowd 2013 in dunny din was not as bad as the 2011 world cup semi final at eden park they were still pretty darn bad. It probably did not help that it was an enclosed stadium down south. At the beginning of the game i would guess most were booing quade - this still did not stop him kicking i think 6 out of 6 or something that day. Even the kiwi commentators were embarrassed - I think it might have been mexted then who said it was poor form. With each kick that quade converted the booing became less and less. By the last conversion quite a few were clapping him...funny that.

Poor form by richie I don't think he needs to say those sorts of things...makes me like quade more actually ;)

I guess the point of this is that if quade converts early and executes cleanly as do the other wallabies the crowd becomes more and more irrelevant. Hit em hard and hit them clean early and anything could happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.