• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, Wellington, 27 August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Someone saw him running at 12. He could be on the bench or starting at 10 but is the back-up 12? Whats the source?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Someone saw him running at 12. He could be on the bench or starting at 10 but is the back-up 12? Whats the source?

That's probably likely. Cooper on the bench to cover 10,12,15.

Which unfortunately mean Foley starting. Not surprising but surely Foley's last chance - again.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
huge amount. really? o_O

This is Cheika setting Quade up to fail. Either by ignorance or by desperation. Probably a little of both.

Well the other options at 12 either have played 2 tests there or zero. 13 tests is a huge amount more experience than that.

I don't think he is setting Quade up to fail. There will still be less expectation on him than Foley.

Look at the alternative situation where Cooper plays 10 and Kerevi 12 giving us no viable first receiver aside from Cooper. We're coming off a record defeat and playing the All Blacks in NZ. The All Blacks will target the 10 knowing that the ball will always go to him. If he then fails do you bring Foley back for a much easier test of playing the Springboks in Brisbane and probably also having To'omua back at 12?

This way, Foley gets one more chance to prove he can turn his form around and if not Cooper hopefully gets a decent run at 10 beginning with a home test.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Well the other options at 12 either have played 2 tests there or zero. 13 tests is a huge amount more experience than that.

I don't think he is setting Quade up to fail. There will still be less expectation on him than Foley.

Look at the alternative situation where Cooper plays 10 and Kerevi 12 giving us no viable first receiver aside from Cooper. We're coming off a record defeat and playing the All Blacks in NZ. The All Blacks will target the 10 knowing that the ball will always go to him. If he then fails do you bring Foley back for a much easier test of playing the Springboks in Brisbane and probably also having To'omua back at 12?

This way, Foley gets one more chance to prove he can turn his form around and if not Cooper hopefully gets a decent run at 10 beginning with a home test.

But if Foley continues his lack of form and Cooper has an absolute shocker at 12 - which is more likely then him having a shocker at 10, then how do you justify Cooper for the next game at 10? His confidence would be even worse then before.

I think the likely outcome will be Cooper on the bench. That will be the less risky option for Quade.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
When you break it down I can see the logic in having the experienced players come back from overseas. For instance wings - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/DHP, one young teamed with an experienced old head. Same with midfield Gits/TK. Props also. As for Genia, well there aren't too many halfbacks running around OZ super teams that are standing out to say they are close to test standard. Genia isn't that old anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The key though is to have BALANCE. You can't play a team of old heads because they will be too slow, nor a team of less than 35-cap players as they won't be very experienced. Look what North did yesterday (as disgraceful as the treatment of Boomer Harvey was)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But if Foley continues his lack of form and Cooper has an absolute shocker at 12 - which is more likely then him having a shocker at 10, then how do you justify Cooper for the next game at 10? His confidence would be even worse then before.

I think the likely outcome will be Cooper on the bench. That will be the less risky option for Quade.

It would only be fair to judge each on their merits.

The expectation on Foley at 10 should be much higher than Cooper at 12 in his first game back.

If you pick Cooper at 10 and drop Foley and Cooper does no better this week (in what is probably a tougher encounter), Cheika could quite reasonably go straight back to Foley with the thought that neither are setting the world on fire and he may as well stick with the player he has worked with for longer.

It was only a year ago that Cheika picked Cooper at 10 in New Zealand and everyone said that Cheika was setting Quade up to fail.

If this plays out with Cooper at 12 it seems like the expectations on him will be lower.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If Chek doesn't remove Foley from 10 it is a reflection (IMHO) of Chek and his favoured players selection policy.

The team needs some change. The biggest one (and I am not hugely confident about it at all) is Cooper at 10 and Foley at 12.

I am confident that we will have better effort this week but if Foley remains at 10 I expect another absolute massacre

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am genuinely confused by the premise that selecting Cooper at 12 would be a crazy coaching decision despite him playing a number of tests there whilst selecting Foley at 12 who to my mind has never played there (except possibly at Shute Shield level) would be a good idea.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If Chek doesn't remove Foley from 10 it is a reflection (IMHO) of Chek and his favoured players selection policy.

The team needs some change. The biggest one (and I am not hugely confident about it at all) is Cooper at 10 and Foley at 12.

I am confident that we will have better effort this week but if Foley remains at 10 I expect another absolute massacre

The backs aren't the reason for the losses, it is the pigs, Cooper playing last week (or this week) isn't going to fix lineouts, defense, ruck work and scrummaging.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)

The expectation on Foley at 10 should be much higher than Cooper at 12 in his first game back.

If you pick Cooper at 10 and drop Foley and Cooper does no better this week (in what is probably a tougher encounter), Cheika could quite reasonably go straight back to Foley with the thought that neither are setting the world on fire and he may as well stick with the player he has worked with for longer.

It was only a year ago that Cheika picked Cooper at 10 in New Zealand and everyone said that Cheika was setting Quade up to fail.

If this plays out with Cooper at 12 it seems like the expectations on him will be lower.
Reasonable people such as your self will have fair expectations for Quade if he plays 12. Most people wont. He is so unfairly hated by so many people in NSW and NZ that i expect Quade to be completely scapegoated when we lose this match. I got more faith in cheika though that he wouldnt be stupid enough to throw cooper in out of position, after playing very little rugby all year, in new Zealand. I expect Quade on the bench and hopefully he gets a good 25-30 mins at 10.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I'm not sure Cheika has the same logical thinking you do.

I'm afraid Cheika will base his opinion on Cooper no matter if he is at 10 or 12. So might as well start him at 10.

I think he did this on the EOYT 2014, where QC (Quade Cooper) played terribly on the wing and was given barely any game time from the bench in the following games.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
This is Quade at 12 talk is madness.
He is defensively weak, virtually no experience at 12 (any??), playing in NZ.
The ABs will run Fekitoa and Savea at him all day.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The backs aren't the reason for the losses, it is the pigs, Cooper playing last week (or this week) isn't going to fix lineouts, defense, ruck work and scrummaging.

They probably turned it from a 10-20 point loss to a 34 point thumping though.

Reasonable people such as your self will have fair expectations for Quade if he plays 12. Most people wont. He is so unfairly hated by so many people in NSW and NZ that i expect Quade to be completely scapegoated when we lose this match. I got more faith in cheika though that he wouldnt be stupid enough to throw cooper in out of position, after playing very little rugby all year, in new Zealand. I expect Quade on the bench and hopefully he gets a good 25-30 mins at 10.

I think either Quade at 12 or coming off the bench gives him a better chance of then starting at 10 for at least a couple of games after that.

Unless our forwards go substantially better, no player is going to look good at 10 for us against the All Blacks.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
To be honest if we get spanked up front again it wouldn't matter if we had an all-star backline. They weren't great, but they weren't the problem.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Of course not, they NEVER are.

ALL the points came through the middle !!! Suppose you cannot remember a shitty Foley kick, culminating in a try that was obviously the sole fault of the piggies. Bastards I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.