• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, Wellington, 27 August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I like your optimism, but you need to understand that the French are always represented on these panels, and not many of their guys are much better than Twoite.

True. Garces had what looked like really good interaction with both the Saffas and the Argies, but had SFA knowledge about the laws of the game. Better than Poite on the first measure but just as bad on the second.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
My 2 cents:

Franks should have been yellow carded. No two ways about it. There is an argument for a red but I don't think that it's a slam dunk. Which may be why no citing - I don't know but yellow card definitely.

I was hoping that QC (Quade Cooper) wouldn't get booed and sitting at home with family watching the game, we were cringing everytime it happened. Fortunately it didn't seem to last long and hopefully it not far from fully disappearing.

I don't understand how some of the same people who are so angry about Franks are at the same time almost happy about Coleman. I understand that one got away with his act while the other got pinged but some people seem to think that hitting a guy late with a shoulder charge is some kind of sign of being tough or hard?! Apparently while Douglas could have list an eye, Barrett was in little to no danger of serious injury at all?! Fortunately, most of the posters here seem to agree it was a pretty poor act.

I love all the videos Shiggins has posted. It's a good example of what's wrong with Australian Rugby. The rest of the world is against Aus, you have to change the rules to make the game more appealing, there are secret meeting between refs and coaches, Paddy O'Brien made all the refs scared of the All Blacks etc etc. I went thru this personally back in 2007 with Barnes. Fortunately, the All Blacks didn't and seemingly decided to just be good enough at doing the things that you can control to not allow the things you can't control decide the outcome.

Finally, I felt for Fardy last nite. He's a player who has grown on me and I couldn't believe he got pulled so early.

PS. Looking forward to the break-down stats

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I love all the videos Shiggins has posted. It's a good example of what's wrong with Australian Rugby.

Losing is what's wrong with Australian rugby. It brings out all the quacks and conspiracy theorists.
Fix that and the rest will disappear.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ruck Involvements - Bled 2 2016

Remember:
1. Early means 1st or 2nd of player’s team AFTER the ball carrier has been tackled and brought to ground.
2. Impact means active engagement: strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, protecting ball etc. (more than hand on someone’s bum or arriving after the hard work has been done). Yes it’s subjective - but as I collect all data at least it’s consistent.
3. Impact DOES NOT equate to Effectiveness. I’ve concluded that coming up with an effectiveness measure is just too hard in the time that I have available – but open to suggestions.

2016-08-28_22-19-25.jpg

2016-08-28_22-19-07.jpg

Involvements over time

2016-08-28_22-14-28.jpg

2016-08-28_22-13-54.jpg

1. I've not collected Ruck Involvement stats in any other game where the numbers for each team are so close. It's almost as if the Wallabies were paying the ABs the ultimate compliment by simply copying what the ABs had done in Bled 1.
  2. The ABs won 93% of their rucks (63/68); the Wallabies 94% (66/70).
  3. Both teams were holding off ~40% of Defence Rucks to maintain a strong defencive line. The ABs were obviously more aggressively involved in the Wallabies 22.
  4. Pocock had almost double the DRIs of any other player yet earned no TOW. His Total Ruck Involvements were about 70% of his SR2016 average.
  5. The ABs averaged 2.3 players/Attack Ruck; the Wallabies 2.4 players/Attack Ruck.
  6. Both teams averaged 0.9 players/Defence Ruck.
  7. I have never seen the Pooper have so few involvements as they had in the 1st half. [Red Box] It's almost as if Cheika had instructed them to hold back to force the Tight 5 to get involved. The Locks listened to him - the Front Row didn't. Apart from Ala'alatoa there was very low work rates shown by the Wallabies Front Rowers.
  8. The ABs Front Row had a ~10% more of their team's Attack Ruck Involvements (ARIs) than the Wallabies Front Row. Moody was quick to show support of ABs ball carriers.
  9. The Wallabies Backs had ~10% more team ARIs than the ABs Backs.
  10. The Wallabies Back Row ended up with ~5% more team DRIs than the ABs Back Row.
  11. Leading Ruck Involvements by Backs: Ben Smith - 10T (8A/2D); Kerevi - 11T (7A/4D).
Numbers at Defence Rucks

2016-08-28_22-31-20.jpg

O Players means that the ruck was formed after the ball carrier had been tackled and brought to ground but no other defensive players had any impact upon the ruck i.e. they were "standing off".

The ABs made 6TOW - 1TOW/10DRIs.
The Wallabies made 7TOW - 1TOW/9.3DRIs.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

• Now to address the other team it really does seem that referees are hesitant to properly officiate the All Blacks. Why? Who knows? Perhaps its because as hands down the best team in the world, they are expected to win and a call that results in their loss could stir up huge amounts of controversy. Perhaps its because they like the way they play, or perhaps its for a huge host of other reasons. All I know is that the All Blacks play an uber-cynical style of footy that would see half our team sitting on the sideline if we tried to emulate it. They’re constantly holding on in tackles, not rolling away (or rolling away towards the other teams halfback), holding onto players at rucks, taking players out in general play, entering rucks from all sorts of angles and my ultimate fucking least favourite of all: giving away cynical penalties in their own 22 to slow the ball down. Early in the game when Folau took the high ball 5 out from their tryline? They lay all over it, slowed down play and then when we were finally awarded the penalty and Moore tried to talk to Poite he just waved him away. Funnily enough, he didn’t mind chatting with Reid throughout the game, but treated Stephen as if he has leprosy. It was a fucking rort and it has to stop (I do note that Poite is a particularly shit Ref).
something, something, World Rugby, something, something

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well congrats AGAIN to the fucking All Blacks.

Referee was absolutely shit.

Plenty of players deserve criticism. Forwards were outplayed but the backs were woeful.

Thought Cooper was OK, certainly better than Foley.

Moore HAS to go.

A

All Black Magic

Great to see the Wallabies held scoreless.
Once a team develops a habit of losing it becomes permanent.
Pointing the finger at the ref doesn't cut it.
Just found out the battery life on the listening device was only 3 days -so it confirms it was planted especially for the All Black meetings.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
  1. I have never seen the Pooper have so few involvements as they had in the 1st half. [Red Box] It's almost as if Cheika had instructed them to hold back to force the Tight 5 to get involved. The Locks listened to him - the Front Row didn't. Apart from Ala'alatoa there was very low work rates shown by the Wallabies Front Rowers.

I think your right. With the ease the All Blacks spread the ball wide to take advantage of numbers, surely it was a tactics not to get involve in too many rucks and give NZ a man advantage on attack.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So basically those stats indicate COLEMAN IS NEW FIRST CHOICE LOCK!

Finally a lock who works hard and hits hard. Just need to make sure he doesn't let his aggression make him do stupid penalties. I don't mind the niggle but the hit off the ball was idiotic.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Why are so many people selecting Hooper in the 3-2-1's?

6/9 tackles only - can't recall any being dominate. Can't recall any line-breaks of decent runs. Average ruck stats?

The Hooper-cult just want to give him points, or is it that their just isn't anyone else to give points?

I like Hooper, but I thought last weekend was one of his poorest games.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
When does Ckek bite the bullet ?

We need more enthusiasm, edge and mobility up front. Start Slipper and Taf for the Boks.

We need a new captain !!!!! One that can play some rugby and has the respect of Referees.

The Pooper thing has well and truly run its course. Pocock to 7, Hooper to bench or beyond. I'd bring McMahon in at 8. Bloke would be chomping at the nit. Retain Fardy at 6.

Retain the Douglas and Coleman combination. It looks like a good long term option.

Not sure on the backs injuries but DHP should be dropped back to NRC. Very poor. Retain Cenia and Cooper.

Both centre spots are a punt. Maybe Folau to 13. Can't do any worse and at least he will get the ball into his hands a lot more.

Chek's winning record is or has turned to shit. He needs to turn it around and make some more changes.

Nathan Gray's wonderful comment from last week should fucking haunt him for years.

Shit I am frustrated.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why are so many people selecting Hooper in the 3-2-1's?

6/9 tackles only - can't recall any being dominate. Can't recall any line-breaks of decent runs. Average ruck stats?

The Hooper-cult just want to give him points, or is it that their just isn't anyone else to give points?

I like Hooper, but I thought last weekend was one of his poorest games.

Only forward to provide any sort of go forward is probably the reason.

I definitely agree it comes down to there being not many options at all worthy of points in the MOTM voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.