• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe # 3 - Saturday 31st October, ANZ Stadium

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looking back through the tries, they're mostly on the back of big defensive errors that we just can't afford to make.

You can tinker with players as much as you like but a lot went wrong with our defensive structures, workrate and just general heads up play around where we needed to be in defence.

1st try - we were a player down but the All Blacks ended up with about 5 on 1 on that side of the field. Multiple players just not having the awareness to flood that side of the field and number up.

2nd try - Mo'unga taking advantage of the mismatch with BPA but generally poor defensive efforts from BPA, White and Lolesio. We had three defenders vs two attackers and none of the defenders did anything good.

3rd try - Mo'unga off the B. Barrett chip kick. Assuming White was the sweeper, he was caught up making a tackle at the previous breakdown. Someone else needed to fill that role. Koroibete and Lolesio then completely ineffective at the back with neither laying a hand on Mo'unga.

4th try - maul try to Coles. Our maul defence was ineffective but the mistake is realistically giving the penalty leading to the 5m lineout to begin with.

5th try - Reiko Ioane in the corner after Sotutu took the ball from the back of the 5m scrum on the blindside. McReight was way too slow to come off the scrum so he didn't get close to stopping Sotutu so Koroibete came in off the wing leaving Ioane unmarked.

6th try - Jordie Barrett runs straight between Philip and Sio. Philip rushed out of the line disconnecting our defenders leaving Barrett a big hole to run through.

3 of those tries came out of nothing. 2 more of those tries the All Blacks had a 5m attacking set piece but we did zero to stop them from scoring. We have to be better than that.

Top stuff BH. The second try was certainly poor defense by our three players and my earlier criticism of DPA was just a response to what I think is overstated hype about his game. He certainly wasn't the worst in the Wallabies but he also wasn't blemish free. No way I am putting more blame on him. It was just a response to some over optimistic posts by others.