• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe IV 2010 Hong Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fearsome confidence here given that this possible Semi is an as yet unconfirmed match that the Wallabies will have absolutely no influence upon, but I guess that's what makes an Australian an Australian and we, in New Zealand, the poor cousins.

Seriously though, the All Blacks must be the underdogs for RWC2011, so sure are all amateur pundits that the seemingly enevitable failure will re-occur. Now that is something different from past tournaments, isn't it?

Got any fush to go with that chip, Muttonbird? :)
Underdogs? Yeah, right. Good luck with that.

M

Muttonbird

Well actually, you'll find that most including myself would have the All Blacks stumbling disasterously at some point next year due to their occasional flakishness under pressure. I'm pointing out that is a change from previous World Cups where that was not a widely held belief.

The giggly references to people's accents is sort of lame btw. :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Bled IV = Dead rubber. No Interest. My Arse.

Gaggerland Historical Archives report the following:
Bled IV : 580 comments, 11134 views and counting

Bled III: 464 comments 10919 views

Bled II: 172 comments, 4699 views

Bled I: 390 comments 8015 views

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Well actually, you'll find that most including myself would have the All Blacks stumbling disasterously at some point next year due to their occasional flakishness under pressure. I'm pointing out that is a change from previous World Cups where that was not a widely held belief.

:lmao:

The real danger IMO and I have been saying it for two years to howls of derisive cackling from many NZ posters is that the ABs will be penalised out of the game because they continually cynically flout the rules of the game. The fact that this year you can look at the massive amount of penalties the ABs have given away but have not been yellow carded etc has encouraged their coaching team to continue on this path. The ABs are in fact the least disciplined of any of the 3N teams a FACT simply by the numbers of penalties conceded. Take out acts of Thuggery by idiots like Botha.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Problem for you guys is that you lose so few games, when it happens, it has more "meaning" than it ought to. Personally, I think it is sheer bad luck or timing that it has happened a couple of times in RWCs (where you have lost where you really shouldn't - I would only say '99 and '03). We've done it twice or more, I would reckon ('87, '95 and '07). That gets less attention. I for one do not subscribe to all this choking BS. You can't, and won't win them all.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
We certainly choked in 87 and 95, but I think in 07 we thought we were a little better than was actually the case. We had nothing in the pack and got found out by one team who so routinely does it.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Just going back and watching the final 20 minutes again, Bieber boy genuinely beat 3 defenders for that try. There can be no doubt about his finishing ability.

M

Muttonbird

Ok, I was trying to get the actual numbers rather than a self congratulatory comment but thanks anyway.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sorry but it's nice to be on the right side of the ledger for once, it's been a while.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mr Deans in the papers today made a good point

"The step that we took, particularly in the last 20 (minutes), was evidence of not only the progression that we've witnessed but also in (the players') realisation that they've progressed," Deans said.

"Putting a stake in the ground and saying, 'Enough, we can do this'. And they got it done."

Deans said his men were learning how to respond to periods of poor play rather than give in to them.

"That's the biggest step that they've taken, that they haven't let those moments impact on their thought processes, they've kept going," he said.

"The reality is, if your mindset's right you can overcome those moments."

We didn't play that well for periods, but we didn't drop our bundle and kept having a go

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"What a difference a try made", as Stanley Adams almost wrote and Dinah Washington made immortal.

I couldn't watch Bledisloe IV as I had to go to a Women's National League Basketball match, not watch the replay after midnight as I had to get up early this morning to go to see a couple of rowing races on the harbour. I watched it this afternoon.

Having previously read all the comments on this site I couldn't help wondering how different they might have been if the All Blacks, having forced a turnover in the dying seconds of the game had kicked the ball into touch so that the Wallabies had to restart from a lineout 30 metres out from the opposition tryline.

A lot of the euphoria and reawakened self confidence seems to emanate from the fact that we won. It might be wise to restrain the jubilation a little until after we have strung a few excellent performances together.

I also noted that much of the assessment by our members of the performances of individual players seems to have been influenced by the observations of the Foxtel commentators who are eerily reminiscent of Moe, Larry and Curly.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
Congrats to you Ozzie supporters. It's been a while coming but I bet that tasted pretty sweet. OZ were just too good on the day. That opening 15-20 minutes from your guys was some great rugby.

I never realised that Beale was so damn fast. Maybe after 5 years Lee Grant may end up right about him. :D

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Maybe after 5 years Lee Grant may end up right about him. :D

Right about what? (He bit on purpose)

All I said when he was at school was that he was the best schoolboy player I ever saw (still true) and that he would be a Wallaby one day if he stayed healthy and stayed in the union code. That's all. I also reported about what others like Gary Ella (or Glen?) were saying about him.

People were bagging me when he was learning how to play senior rugby in the high veldt a couple of months after leaving school; yarda, yarda, but they were criticising a teenager because they thought the journos were right when they were writing him up as a flyhalf Messiah. I was saying in 2007 that we would have to wait until after the 2011 RWC before we could assess him properly but folks, especially Kiwi folks, were not hearing that.

Must say that I am proud of KB (Kurtley Beale) and I know his late grand dad would have been too. He's had a few wobbles on and off the park but looks like he's on the right track in both areas. He's a nice young man and I wish him well.

Kangaroo Sausage

Peter Burge (5)
:lmao:

The real danger IMO and I have been saying it for two years to howls of derisive cackling from many NZ posters is that the ABs will be penalised out of the game because they continually cynically flout the rules of the game. The fact that this year you can look at the massive amount of penalties the ABs have given away but have not been yellow carded etc has encouraged their coaching team to continue on this path. The ABs are in fact the least disciplined of any of the 3N teams a FACT simply by the numbers of penalties conceded. Take out acts of Thuggery by idiots like Botha.

Doesnt that FACT mean the ABs were the most disciplined team?

Status
Not open for further replies.