• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe IV 2010 Hong Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I also noted that much of the assessment by our members of the performances of individual players seems to have been influenced by the observations of the Foxtel commentators who are eerily reminiscent of Moe, Larry and Curly.

Could you give some examples please Bruce? - I don't get the Foxtel commentary

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
If we're drifing towards talking about penalties, then can I point out that we're NOT talking about the breakdown. But why not? What was different to the last 3 times we playd the ABs, where they won the breakdown in suspicious circumstances?

I really don't know, but Rolland hit the Evil Doers hard early on which might have caused them to adjust their game? Or maybe their pack wasn't quite up for it? I noticed quite a few occasions when our ball looked a bit 50/50, and might turn to the Dark Side, but was pleasantly surprised when it come out into the light.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
On Rugbyheaven there's a poll up about whether the ABs are "still the best team in the world" and only 83% of people agree that that's the case. 17% of voters are idiots.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Bruce, you are right of course, but in earlier games this season we would have found a way to lose that game. I'll also point out that the first 15-20 minutes were absolutely superb from our guys and should have credited more than 5 points to the account. Additionally, the last 10-15 were composed, unruffled and actually looked confident. The boys looked like they had a plan on how to win that game and didn't panic. As I said in an earlier thread, this could be the sign of a new maturity in the team.

None of this means anything if we get beaten by Wales next week. If we play the kind of footy we did on Saturday night though, we should go OK.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think they still got away with a bit of murder at the breakdown, Scarfy.

The ABs used the same tactics of running interference ahead of the ruck to stall Australian support coming in to clean out. I saw McCaw do this quite obviously against Pocock which lead to a NZ penalty for McCalman holding on. I saw Kaino do this by standing about 2 metres ahead of the ruck and holding an Australian supporter. I even saw Dan Carter actually side fling an Australian defender as part of a 'clean out'. I saw several AB tackles just happen to fall on the wrong side. I saw probably 2 yellow cards worth of offense by the time the clock ticked over to 80. And I know that Rolland was going to give one at one stage, but he still could and should have given it at the next stoppage (even if it was after the siren).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I disagree our kicking strategy is appalling - Beale and Cooper in particular kick pretty well in general play, but Cooper certainly had an off night, especially towards the end. Execution is inconsistent, no doubt. There are some "one-off" kicks that need to be cut out - Bieber did a horror, Gits has his moments. Barnes may help here - he has an accurate kicking game too.

Cyclo, you are quite right to broaden this out. I deliberately said 'kicking strategy' vs individual skill as, yes, I still find quite a bit of our in-play kick forwards and for the line inconsistent or rushed and feel sure a kicking coach working with all the players ever likely or needing to kick could improve both the choice of kick time, and the execution (off both feet). Next, certainly regards goal kicking, our strategy of Giteau as No 1 kicker has been an objective disaster and, as Austin's stats proved, he's been performing as, at best, average for a top kicker since 2008, this is not something that has just started since Scotland 2009. In the 2008-10 period he has not improved, and if DC had kicked just to his normal standards in HKG, the ABs would have won, and our v poor kicking stats that night would be the core reason we lost. If we want to win the RWC and attain the No 1 ranking, this debacle of Gits cannot, and must not, continue. IMO, Gits must be dropped, or, just maybe, benched, Barnes should return as 12, and Barnes, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale and QC (Quade Cooper) should be supported by a full-time kicking coach, with Barnes and JOC (James O'Connor) probably the anointed primary kickers, KB (Kurtley Beale) for the long ones (a la F Steyn in Boks).

From the coaching perspective, Egerton is now in there, and while he is nominally the player manager, he has shown plenty of nous previously, and I think could be a big plus. Blake worries me, as I am not sure what he really brings.

Very interesting, and I hope you are right that he's contributing. If you were going out to pick a world-class, seasoned defence coach with Test experience, you would not pick Blake. I suspect, as with Nuci's appointment, Blake was shoed-in fast as the ARU watched with alarm at how core skills (eg defence) and back line structure issues in the Wallabies were not being adequately corrected, or improved.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Could you give some examples please Bruce? - I don't get the Foxtel commentary

I wouldn't complain about that Langthorne; I wish I didn't get it either.

I haven't recorded the game so I can't go back over it to find examples.

This was the first time in a long while that I didn't get to see a Wallabies Test while it was being played, and then I had to wait until the following afternoon to view it. By this time I had read the opinions of various members about player performances.

So as I was watching the game I was looking out for things that people had highlighted, like players getting on top of their counterparts but I couldn't see clear evidence of it. So I was putting it down to others being more perceptive than me until late in the game when the commentators started talking up particular players. It was then it occurred to me just how much our perceptions can be influenced by the commentary, even of those who think their function is to provide ham-fisted attempts at humour.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I saw Kaino do this by standing about 2 metres ahead of the ruck and holding an Australian supporter.

Scotty, I missed seeing this. My only question is what was the "Australian supporter" doing on the field? He's lucky the Test wasn't played in Sydney or he would have copped a $5000 fine.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Careful. I think he wants something from you.

Perhaps you're teasing...but anyway....not in the slightest, I just think Lee is one of greats and deserves a bit of praise when i see someone having a sideways chip at him...

D

daz

Have we done the right thing in beating the Darkness?

Is this a serious question? Some of the dribble on the last few thousand post-game posts are un-fucking-believable.

Is everyone so used to whinging about Deans and/or the Wallabies that you simply cannot just enjoy a win? Is your glass now permanently half empty? Are you all so full of bile and bleating that rugby is no longer a joy to you?

Well, I for one am loving the feeling of watching my team pull victory from the jaws of defeat after 80-odd minutes. It was a mighty, mighty, wonderful effort.

The fucking end.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Just think, the wallabies could be only a tube of liquid nails away from never losing again!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-wallabies-keep-the-faith-20101031-178z9.html

OK come clean which one of you boardies is GG.

What a crap article and what crap comment from Deans.

I did enjoy the game and I enjoyed very much the win for a change. However I am notice euphoric enough to stick my head in the sand and say that this performance was significantly different from the previous 4 Wallabies performances.

Notice I do not include the games prior to the Bloem test as there was at that time a monumental shift in game plan and execution.

We got the rub of the green with Donald failing to land a penalty which he would normally kick and again failing to find touch which he would normally do (even though I will say McCalman ? chased very well and placed him under enough pressure on the outside line to perhaps force the kick infield).

The glaring issues in this team are still apparent. Defence in the midfield is woeful. Giteau may have once been an international standard kicker but form on the training paddock mean nothing when he has failed consistantly on game day for two years when the pressure is on. Add to that his general play is average at best. Selection in other positions remains an issue in not only my opinion but numerous others along with bench usage (which has taken two years to improve).

Sorry Robbie if you think one unconvincing lucky win as much as I enjoyed it is enough to hide these continuing issues which are your responsibility you are mistaken.

As for you GG, at least try to become a journalist, you know somebody who reports objectively without fear or favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.