• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues v Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I tend to agree with you ILTW. Some of the Reds are living in the past. They expect to win because they were once good. Resting on their laurels and all that. Tonight Quade was outplayed by a 19 year old. Hell, Bryce Hegarty played far better than Quade. I am not usually a Quade bagger and have loved some of his plays in the past but it seems to be a distant past and one that is only increasing.

As someone noted a page back, the Reds back five never get benched. Where's the incentive to strive to get better? A lack of depth may be the problem. Are Enever, O'Donoghue & Mc Duling just not good enough? Because I think Horwill and Simmons need a rocket put up them.

I find it hard to criticized the Quirk, Schatz, Gill back three as they always seem to be busy and bust a gut but there doesn't seem to be anyone pushing them.apart from Butler (who i haven't seen play this year so I can't judge).
How many new players did the Reds pick up this year. Not many at all from my reckoning. Perhaps they have all gone just a bit stale with a lack of fresh blood????
Butler has been playing 7 at the Brumbies since Pocock's injury.

M

Moono75

The sooner the Reds jettison RG the better off they will be. Best decision the Force made was to terminate him as soon as he advised he was heading off to the Reds. If he had stayed till the end of the season it would have set back the rebuild 6 to 8 months.

Tough call for the Reds, can they be bold?

Swandive

Allen Oxlade (6)
Butler has been playing 7 at the Brumbies since Pocock's injury.

Sorry, meant the bloke who stayed. ...Wait a minute....I meant Browning. I heard he had a good game from the bench last week but then was dropped from the squad altogether.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
You maybe right about the rule book, I won't argue the point. But in practice 99% of similar incidents the referee calls not held and the play continues. Its a bit like the rule book says the halfback must feed the ball straight. Nobody does and its virtually never penalised.

I talked about this last year and the commentators tonite echoed the same sentiments. With the tackler having to release immediately, it's ridiculous that players who have been brought to ground, as per the laws, can then get up and run again.

There have been a number of occassions this year where the refs have called this correctly and I think it's how it should be called. I'm pretty sure this is what happened to Higginbotham just a few weeks back from a kick-off, where he went to the deck, got up and started running but was called back by the ref.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I talked about this last year and the commentators tonite echoed the same sentiments. With the tackler having to release immediately, it's ridiculous that players who have been brought to ground, as per the laws, can then get up and run again.

There have been a number of occassions this year where the refs have called this correctly and I think it's how it should be called. I'm pretty sure this is what happened to Higginbotham just a few weeks back from a kick-off, where he went to the deck, got up and started running but was called back by the ref.

Yeah, the defender has to release immediately and when he does the attacker gets up and goes again o_O

If we want the flow of quick rucks, the defenders have to be required to release quickly so the attacker will set the ball.

Allowing the attacker to crawl a few metres or get up just makes the defenders hold on for longer and the flow of quick rucks diminishes

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

I agree. That was a good and complete tackle from Donnoly. Looked like he was no chance of getting back to his feet and competing for the ball so quickly moved out of the way to avoid the risk of getting pinned under the ruck to come and run the risk of being penalised for not rolling away. I thought it was a smart piece of rugby on his behalf.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Like all 3 of Gill,Quirk and Shatz, they all seem to work bloody hard, think the only problem they have is perhaps there needs to be a bigger players in the loosies, the old story of a good big un beating a good small un, and though Quirk and Shatz work rate is bloody high, they probably not quite big enough to "hurt" opposition in contact, mind you if an big impact type player was picked whoever got laft out would be bloody unlucky.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
10177476_10152347813013076_9219115899048979199_n.jpg

Good to see Blues presented Quade with an embroided jersey to celebrate his 100th super game. Does the heart good to see these kind of things happening even in the professional era!!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Jerome Kaino rocks the suit better that Ma'a Nonu, but I wouldn't tell Nonu that! :eek:
Nice to see.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Slipper will have the book thrown at him, and it will be a suspension unlikely to have been seen previously.

SANZAR will use this opportunity to send out a strong message that such tackles will not be tolerated and that irrespective of player history, they will now be taking a very firm stand against such tackles.

I think he will get in the order of 8 weeks.

In two weeks time another tip tackle will occur from some other team and a player cited.

He will be suspended for two weeks, where one of those weeks is a bye and the other falls in an international window.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
2-4 weeks will be fair.

Looking forward to Daley starting. Crusaders better do there homework.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
2-4 weeks will be fair.

Looking forward to Daley starting. Crusaders better do there homework.

They will.
To be fair, the homework burden really belongs with the Reds considering who they are playing.
Hopefully Kieran Read will be back.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Slipper's tip tackle would have to be the very lowest end of the scale - if his torso was beyond the horizontal it would've been by a couple of degrees, if even that.

That said, I expect a solid ban, knowing how random the SANZAR judiciary is. If the Reds hire a good QC (Quade Cooper), and review previous matches, you'd think they could find similar tackles that have gotten little to nothing as defence.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
2-3 weeks. Slipper was punished in game and the guy landed on his arm/shoulder. Hasn't Slipper been done for something similar in the last year or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.