• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane City - NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Stars team named.

1. Jeremy Tilse
2. Tom Coolican
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Andrew Leota
5. Ryan Wilson
6. Sam Quinn
7. Patrick McCutcheon (C)
8. Hugo Dessens
9. Jake Gordon
10. Stuart Dunbar
11. Henry Clunies-Ross
12. Michael Hodge
13. Jim Stewart
14. James Dargaville
15. Peter Betham

Replacements
16. Jack Jones
17. Aldy King
18. Tom Robertson
19. Byron Hodge
20. Matt Philips
21. Jock Merriman
22. Jonathan Fakai
23. Matt Kenny

born-red

Chris McKivat (8)
solid tight 5 - but i reckon we are competitive in most other places - though ill admit a high level of ignorance when it comes to anyone outside of my little brisbane bubble.

would be epic to see these 2 teams go head to head with no injuries or wallabies;

brisbane bring in hanson, horwill, browning, gill, genia, quade, tapuai & tunrer VS
Sydney bringing in latu, weeks, skelton, phipps, foley, carter & folau

fuk thatd be a game.

T

TOCC

Not to pigeon hole a player too much but some simply aren't built to be ball players. Obviously a varied skill set can be helpful but in a sense it can also give players too many options when they should be focusing on playing their role - in Kerevi's case he's a strong ball carrier and strike weapon out wide.

I'm all for player development but I don't see the point in changing someones playing style.

It's about adding extra skills to the package, look at Ma'a Nonu, started off as a powerful ball runner and very little passing, his game was quite limited. Slowly over the years he has improved his passing and kicking and is a greater attacking threat as a result.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
solid tight 5 - but i reckon we are competitive in most other places - though ill admit a high level of ignorance when it comes to anyone outside of my little brisbane bubble.

would be epic to see these 2 teams go head to head with no injuries or wallabies;

brisbane bring in hanson, horwill, browning, gill, genia, quade, tapuai & tunrer VS

fuk thatd be a game.

The Rays would have the Wallabies backrow.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
One thing is certain for the first game, and that is Parker and Kuridrani will have cold hands because I can't see them getting the ball off Kerevi and White!

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I doubt many have actually seen Kerevi play. He has an excellent passing game when required. Why pass when running is your best asset. In terms of development, why not continue to develop his running and offloading rather than kicking and passing. I am not totally opposed to Samu in 12 but I think he is much more effective in 13. Regardless, he will tear a few to shreds in the NRC.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

fuk thatd be a game.

Uni would have Dave Dennis too.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Top of the table. I think the team did quite well considering they had a short turn around from the end of the club season.

Someone at the ARU will want to work out the bonus point issue as they have City gaining one when they didn't score 3 more tries than the Stars.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Top of the table. I think the team did quite well considering they had a short turn around from the end of the club season.

Someone at the ARU will want to work out the bonus point issue as they have City gaining one when they didn't score 3 more tries than the Stars.
Yep.

I wonder if the City players didn't realise either?

They had a penalty on the hooter and booted it out instead of going for a potential BP for the 3-try differential.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Didn't the QRU match report say they won with a bonus point (I haven't read it)?

If that's the case they weren't alone in not working out the situation even after the match!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Didn't the QRU match report say they won with a bonus point (I haven't read it)?

If that's the case they weren't alone in not working out the situation even after the match!
I'd reckon so.

Although the chances are they wouldn't have scored, it's always worth a shot.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Loved watching last night, great to see the Premier talent coming through.

Obviously Kerevi was outstanding, he's in league of his own at this level. Exciting to watch.

Michael Gunn and Adam Korcyzk worked their asses off all night, very impressed by their work rate and defence.

Frisby did what he always does. He has heaps of talent, but so many dumb things he does every game (I've seen it in the Reds and for GPS). He takes lots of stupid options, or poorly executes (kicks on the full, ball dropped cold from a line out). If he can get rid of this stuff then his career will really kick on.

Brando Vaalu looked strong at the back, showing his experience.

Parker will (if he hasn't already) be a bit of a cult figure by the end of the year. He had a quiet game, but did everything well, and his post-match was quality.

Our front row, starting and bench, are monsters. Andrew Ready is the only one under 118kg. While on him, I thought his on-ball efforts were that of an open side.

I'm not sold on McIntyre, especially defensively. He got steam rolled a couple of times.

Hopefully Horwill is available at some point, because we seem short on locks, and Kotze was ineffective.

I'll definitely be heading out to the next home game! Great stuff, the QRU is going very well in regards to how they are promoting the team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
agree Jets. He caught my eye big time.

Interestingly, Big Kev was at the game, watching alongside Turner and Genia. It surprised me too much to ask why he wasn't playing but it rules out the whole Wallaby captain's run thing.

He may still have a niggle I guess? Hope we have him back next week for the trip to Perth

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hopefully Horwill is available at some point, because we seem short on locks, and Kotze was ineffective.

Even as a GPS supporter I was slightly surprised by Kotze's selection. He is a massive presence on the field in terms of voice and leadership (I could hear him through the refs mic a few times) but a part from a couple of good performances at the end of the season was mostly injured or went missing during games.

Also thought McDuling was a bit of a let-down last night. For a player who is Reds cusp and given the captaincy he also gave away the most penalties (5 by my count) and didn't seem to do much.

Therefore I agree Qld rugby seems a bit short on locks at the moment.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
I was impressed by City discipline and outstanding 2 half. I heard that our 3 young backrowers (Korczyk, Gunn and Wilkin) played together in under 15 state comp! This says something about young talent development in Qld.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interestingly, Big Kev was at the game, watching alongside Turner and Genia. It surprised me too much to ask why he wasn't playing but it rules out the whole Wallaby captain's run thing.

He may still have a niggle I guess? Hope we have him back next week for the trip to Perth

Doesn't it just come down to the fact that he is emergency cover for the Bledisloe and so he is not going to play 48 hours before the Test?

If he didn't fly over there yesterday with the team but wasn't allowed to play NRC it is a bit strange. If it was because they didn't want him to play within 48 hours of the test but he was staying in Australia it would mean that his only potential for being used is if there is an injury in the Wallabies team today.

If he is heading over to NZ for the test it makes no sense to not have him head over with the team on the Thursday.

It sounds to me like they only went over there with 24 players and McCalman is the one emergency.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Great game, loving the centre combination of Kerevi and White keep that all season.

Can some one buy Frisby a tackle bag, he does his damn best to avoid making tackles and when he does he get bumped off. After three seasons in super rugby he shouldn't still be a speed bump. Granted he has moments of brilliance in attack which a great to watch and a good kick. Makes me think he is the Chris Sandow of the NRC.

I would love to see the tackle stats from the game as my count was 3 miss tackles from 4 attempts. I think if we didn't have the speed and work rate of our 3 young back rowers in that second half it would have been a much closer win for Brissy.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah young Wilkin was bloody impressive wasn't he? He's apparently a 7 and plays like a very natural one, but he stepped in at 6 and then 8 and looked the goods. He's a little taller than blokes like gill and gunn, has a frame more like quirk or dare I say it Richie. He could be a terrific project player. It will be interesting to see what happens with him and what position he plays going forward at NRC and potentially Soup level.

He's only young if I'm not mistaken? 19 or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.